    have a much wider selection available to them, but the cost of storing all
    these movies would be much lower.

    Robert

    Robert Calvert, Apr 3, 2004

  2. "Robert Calvert" <> wrote in
    news::

    > If you go into a video store these days, you'll most likely find row
    > after row of DVDs lined up on the shelves. It certainly looks
    > impressive at first until you do the math and come to realize that all
    > the DVDs in a typical video store could fit into a box the size of a
    > footlocker. This makes me wonder why video stores are still doing
    > things the old fashioned way in the DVD age. Instead of setting the
    > movies out where people can see them, it would be much more space
    > efficient to store the movies like books in a library from floor to
    > ceiling.

    >Not
    > only would the customers have a much wider selection available to
    > them, but the cost of storing all these movies would be much lower.

    You're not factoring in the "browsing" factor. People like to look
    through a bunch of movies quickly, and they skim over the ones they
    aren't interested in. Cover art is a very flashy way to say to a
    customer "Hey! I'm a new movie with your favorite actor!" or "Stay away
    from me! I look boring!" Spines, on the other hand, contain little
    more than the title, and thus make it easier to overlook a particular
    title, and harder for the customer to go through the entire selection.

    Having a "movie ATM" would present similar problems. Although you could
    get all the same information, browsing for a movie on the web would be
    a tedious experience, and not as much "fun" as being able to pick up a
    DVD case and look at it. Never, ever underestimate the power of a
    customer being able to hold the product!

    Personally, I like your idea, but it's way too important for potential
    renters to stick with the current model. It's not that way because it's
    efficient, it's that way because of people's shopping habits.

    There is one place that does things your way: Netflix.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Apr 3, 2004

  3. Robert Calvert

    Nick Guest

    Out in Israel they do have automated rental video/dvd machines outside the
    stores just like an atm machine. You put your rental card into the machine
    make your selection and it charges it to your credit card and gives the film
    to you.. If you don't return the movie in the set time you get a letter
    warning you and if you still don't return it your credit card get charged
    the full price of the movie. The good thing about it is you can rent a movie
    24 hours a day.

    Nick, Apr 3, 2004
  4. Robert Calvert

    Winslow Guest

    Good points but coming from the industry I think you may lack the knowledge
    and fundamentals of retailing.
    "Robert Calvert" <> wrote in message
    > If you go into a video store these days, you'll most likely find row after
    > row of DVDs lined up on the shelves. It certainly looks impressive at

    first
    > until you do the math and come to realize that all the DVDs in a typical
    > video store could fit into a box the size of a footlocker. This makes me
    > wonder why video stores are still doing things the old fashioned way in

    the
    > DVD age. Instead of setting the movies out where people can see them, it
    > would be much more space efficient to store the movies like books in a
    > library from floor to ceiling. The customers could browse through the

    movies
    > and make their selection with computer terminals. Or they could even do

    this
    > with their computers at home. At the video store, an employee would

    retrieve
    > the customer's selection and take the payment. In theory, this entire
    > process could be automated and customers could make their selections and
    > retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine. Not only would the

    customers

    Winslow, Apr 3, 2004
  5. Robert Calvert

    Nick, Apr 3, 2004
  6. Robert Calvert

    Melodiem Guest

    > Out in Israel they do have automated rental video/dvd machines outside the
    > stores just like an atm machine. You put your rental card into the machine
    > make your selection and it charges it to your credit card and gives the

    film
    > to you.. If you don't return the movie in the set time you get a letter
    > warning you and if you still don't return it your credit card get charged
    > the full price of the movie. The good thing about it is you can rent a

    movie
    > 24 hours a day.

    cool !

    Melodiem, Apr 3, 2004
  7. Robert Calvert

    JWB Guest

    > If you go into a video store these days, you'll most likely find row after
    > row of DVDs lined up on the shelves. It certainly looks impressive at

    first
    > until you do the math and come to realize that all the DVDs in a typical
    > video store could fit into a box the size of a footlocker. This makes me
    > wonder why video stores are still doing things the old fashioned way in

    the
    > DVD age. Instead of setting the movies out where people can see them, it
    > would be much more space efficient to store the movies like books in a
    > library from floor to ceiling. The customers could browse through the

    movies
    > and make their selection with computer terminals. Or they could even do

    this
    > with their computers at home. At the video store, an employee would

    retrieve
    > the customer's selection and take the payment. In theory, this entire
    > process could be automated and customers could make their selections and
    > retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine. Not only would the

    customers
    > have a much wider selection available to them, but the cost of storing all
    > these movies would be much lower.

    browsing box covers is how most people pick a movie to rent.

    JWB, Apr 3, 2004
  8. Robert Calvert

    Paul C. Guest

    "Robert Calvert" <> wrote in

    > things the old fashioned way in the DVD age. Instead of setting

    the
    > movies out where people can see them, it would be much more space
    > efficient to store the movies like books in a library from floor

    > ceiling.

    They have a combination of this system at the local Blockbuster
    stores. New release titles are around the edges with the front
    facing out, older titles are placed on shelves like books. The main
    problem here is that the movies tend to get out of order which can
    be irritating. But it does allow them to store a lot more movies
    like you said. They also got rid of their classifications like
    Drama, Sci-fi, Family, etc with mixed results.

    Paul C., Apr 3, 2004
  9. Robert Calvert

    Shinner Guest

    "Robert Calvert" <> wrote in

    > Instead of setting the
    > movies out where people can see them, it would be much more space
    > efficient to store the movies like books in a library from floor to
    > ceiling.

    Would there be free migraine relief medicine included?

    > The customers could browse through the movies and make their
    > selection with computer terminals.

    That would certainly be efficient...I for one wouldn't mind standing in
    line to use a terminal verus...not.

    > In theory,
    > this entire process could be automated and customers could make their
    > selections and retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine.

    That would be awesome...eliminate more jobs!

    Shinner, Apr 3, 2004
  10. Robert Calvert

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 16:22:15 -0400, Shinner wrote
    (in message <Xns94C09BEE77A70myemailsomeservercom@216.40.28.71>):

    >> this entire process could be automated and customers could make their
    >> selections and retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine.

    > That would be awesome...eliminate more jobs!

    Oh, now THERE'S a job people are fighting for -- the Media Play "Can I help
    you find anything?" guy. I'm sure people will be crying their eyes out when
    that position gets eliminated.

    Stick him in the corner with the milk man, the blacksmith, and that guy who
    delivers the gigantic blocks of ice for your "ice box" (DARN those modern
    refrigerators!!!)

    Cernovog, Apr 4, 2004
  11. Robert Calvert

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Cernovog
    <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 16:22:15 -0400, Shinner wrote
    > (in message <Xns94C09BEE77A70myemailsomeservercom@216.40.28.71>):
    >
    > >> this entire process could be automated and customers could make their
    > >> selections and retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine.

    > > That would be awesome...eliminate more jobs!

    > Oh, now THERE'S a job people are fighting for -- the Media Play "Can I help
    > you find anything?" guy. I'm sure people will be crying their eyes out when
    > that position gets eliminated.

    I'm sure the job gets some people through college, and it's better then
    flipping burgers.

    > Stick him in the corner with the milk man, the blacksmith, and that guy who
    > delivers the gigantic blocks of ice for your "ice box" (DARN those modern
    > refrigerators!!!)

    Yeah, actually dealing with real people in a store is so 2003.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Apr 4, 2004
  12. Robert Calvert

    GRL Guest

    There are TV commercials selling franchises for such businesses in the U.S.
    Machine looks like a salty snacks vending machine and holds, maybe, 30 or so
    titles.

    --

    - GRL

    "It's good to want things."

    Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
    Visual Basic programmer)
    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > Out in Israel they do have automated rental video/dvd machines outside the
    > stores just like an atm machine. You put your rental card into the machine
    > make your selection and it charges it to your credit card and gives the

    film
    > to you.. If you don't return the movie in the set time you get a letter
    > warning you and if you still don't return it your credit card get charged
    > the full price of the movie. The good thing about it is you can rent a

    movie
    > 24 hours a day.
    >

    > "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in

    message

    GRL, Apr 4, 2004
  13. Robert Calvert

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, GRL
    <> wrote:

    > There are TV commercials selling franchises for such businesses in the U.S.
    > Machine looks like a salty snacks vending machine and holds, maybe, 30 or so
    > titles.

    And it looks like a scam, as the comercials spend more time telling you
    how rich you'll be then they do HOW you'll get rich :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Apr 4, 2004
  14. Robert Calvert

    Richard C. Guest

[...]
    :
    : Robert
    :
    ==========================
    Well..........
    Draft up a business plan and GO for it!

    Richard C., Apr 4, 2004
  15. Robert Calvert

    Ekim Miller Guest

    they have "DVD Vending Machines" already...

    --
    -----
    Alexandra Barreto

    Ekim Miller, Apr 4, 2004
  16. Robert Calvert

    Ekim Miller Guest

    in fact here's a link...
    http://e-vending.com/cd_dvd_movies_music_vending_machine.htm

    --
    -----

    Ekim Miller, Apr 4, 2004
  17. Robert Calvert

    Shinner Guest

    Cernovog <> wrote in

    > Oh, now THERE'S a job people are fighting for -- the Media Play "Can I
    > help you find anything?" guy.

    No one's fighting to be a garbage man or grave digger either but people
    still take the job.

    Shinner, Apr 5, 2004
  18. Robert Calvert

    Gistak Guest

    "Robert Calvert" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > If you go into a video store these days, you'll most likely find row after
    > row of DVDs lined up on the shelves. It certainly looks impressive at first
    > until you do the math and come to realize that all the DVDs in a typical
    > video store could fit into a box the size of a footlocker. This makes me
    > wonder why video stores are still doing things the old fashioned way in the
    > DVD age. Instead of setting the movies out where people can see them, it
    > would be much more space efficient to store the movies like books in a
    > library from floor to ceiling. The customers could browse through the movies
    > and make their selection with computer terminals. Or they could even do this
    > with their computers at home. At the video store, an employee would retrieve
    > the customer's selection and take the payment. In theory, this entire
    > process could be automated and customers could make their selections and
    > retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine. Not only would the customers
    > have a much wider selection available to them, but the cost of storing all
    > these movies would be much lower.
    >
    > Robert

    How about doing a similar thing with software? Have a look:

    http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/04/06/software.to.go.ap/index.html

    Gistak, Apr 7, 2004
  19. Robert Calvert

    MarkA Guest

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 01:22:57 -0500, Robert Calvert wrote:

    > If you go into a video store these days, you'll most likely find row after
    > row of DVDs lined up on the shelves. It certainly looks impressive at first
    > until you do the math and come to realize that all the DVDs in a typical
    > video store could fit into a box the size of a footlocker. This makes me
    > wonder why video stores are still doing things the old fashioned way in the
    > DVD age. Instead of setting the movies out where people can see them, it
    > would be much more space efficient to store the movies like books in a
    > library from floor to ceiling. The customers could browse through the movies
    > and make their selection with computer terminals. Or they could even do this
    > with their computers at home. At the video store, an employee would retrieve
    > the customer's selection and take the payment. In theory, this entire
    > process could be automated and customers could make their selections and
    > retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine. Not only would the customers
    > have a much wider selection available to them, but the cost of storing all
    > these movies would be much lower.
    >
    > Robert

    FWIW, the guy who started the Blockbuster chain started out in the trash
    collection business (he was very successful in that, too). It just goes
    to show that you never know until you try.

    --
    MarkA
    (still caught in the maze of twisty little passages, all different)

    MarkA, Apr 8, 2004
  20. Robert Calvert

    Ekim Miller Guest

    from the selection of films, I'd say he's still 'collecting trash'

    --
    -----

    Ekim Miller, Apr 8, 2004