When A Company Starts Suing, It Stops Innovating

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 2, 2010.

  1. Apple is starting to sue its competitors, instead of competing with them
    <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100302/1031458365.shtml>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 2, 2010

  2. In message <hmk3im$rof$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Apple is starting to sue its competitors, instead of competing with them
    > <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100302/1031458365.shtml>.

    And it’s not just suing, it’s appealing to the US International Trade
    Commission <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7522>. This is a body that
    gets to impose legally-binding penalties without having to go through all
    the bother of actually following some sort of legal due process. Great way
    to avoid having to actually prove your case...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 3, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-03-02, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Apple is starting to sue its competitors, instead of competing with them
    ><http://techdirt.com/articles/20100302/1031458365.shtml>.

    Good grief this is a newsgroup.

    Also ask history, Apple is from the mould of MS. There are kissing cousins
    from where I view things.

    Gordon, Mar 4, 2010
  4. Others have noticed the 180° shift in Steve Jobs’ thinking: when Apple was
    young, it innovated by building off the ideas of others. But now that it’s
    mature, it must stop the new competition innovating off ideas it sees as
    belong to it.

    <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100302/1303598369.shtml>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 4, 2010
  5. I am not a monster raving hypocrite and I do not want to
    lose my credibility, so I also say that when BusyBox
    started suing they too stopped innovating.

    <http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3973290690.html>
    <http://lucky13linux.wordpress.com/2007/12/07/fsf-watch-sflc-lawyers-sue-verizon/>

    Lawrance D'Oliverio, Mar 4, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    > Also ask history, Apple is from the mould of MS. There are kissing cousins
    > from where I view things.

    MS learned some of its key practices from Apple (others from IBM...).
    MS's second big success after MS-DOS was Word and Excel for the Mac.
    To be fair, MS brainwashes developers less than Apple did, and I
    suspect by choice, seeing it as better for MS, but what would I know.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Mar 5, 2010