    recommend?

    Philip

    (oh, the shame of having a dirty registry)

    Philip, Mar 14, 2006

  2. Philip

    Rob King Guest

    CrapCleaner

    Fixes all manner of registry sins.

    Rob King, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Philip

    Max Burke Guest

    > Philip scribbled:
    > I'm starting to see signs of clutter in the Registry.
    > I'm looking for an effective registry cleaner. What do people here
    > recommend?

    I use:

    (On XP Pro SP2)

    CCleaner:
    I run this on demand and weekly as part of my computer maintenance.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/help/help.asp

    and:

    Reg Cleaner:
    Run this occasionally, it usually finds reg entries that CCleaner doesn't.

    I usually run these after I've installed, tried and uninstalled
    freware/shareware programs.
    They both find the 'left behind' c**p in the registry from such programs.

    Currently testing:
    Advanced Windows Care
    http://www.iobit.com/WindowsCare.htm

    and:

    Tweaknow Regcleaner as a possible replacement for Reg cleaner. (which is no
    longer being supported by the owner)
    http://www.tweaknow.com/

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Mar 14, 2006
  4. Philip

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:03:26 +1300, Philip <>
    exclaimed:

    >I'm starting to see signs of clutter in the Registry.
    >
    >I'm looking for an effective registry cleaner. What do people here
    >recommend?
    >
    >Philip
    >
    >(oh, the shame of having a dirty registry)

    None. They usually cause more harm than good.

    Look for a Registry defragmenter, instead.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 14, 2006
  5. Philip

    Adam Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:38:09 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:03:26 +1300, Philip <>
    >exclaimed:
    >
    >>I'm starting to see signs of clutter in the Registry.
    >>
    >>I'm looking for an effective registry cleaner. What do people here
    >>recommend?
    >>
    >>Philip
    >>
    >>(oh, the shame of having a dirty registry)

    >None. They usually cause more harm than good.
    >
    >Look for a Registry defragmenter, instead.

    Far be it for me to recommend a Symantec product (yeah, I know!!) -
    but the only one that *hasn't* given me grief has been the Norton
    Utils module.

    The worst thing you can do is to "road test" the various offerings -
    unless you have a system to sacrifice, or have set some system restore
    points.

    Adam.

    Adam, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Max Burke wrote:
    >> Philip scribbled:
    >> I'm starting to see signs of clutter in the Registry.
    >> I'm looking for an effective registry cleaner. What do people here
    >> recommend?

    > I use:
    >
    > (On XP Pro SP2)
    >
    > CCleaner:
    > I run this on demand and weekly as part of my computer maintenance.
    > http://www.ccleaner.com/help/help.asp
    >
    > and:
    >
    > Reg Cleaner:
    > Run this occasionally, it usually finds reg entries that CCleaner
    > doesn't. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html
    >
    > I usually run these after I've installed, tried and uninstalled
    > freware/shareware programs.
    > They both find the 'left behind' c**p in the registry from such
    > programs.
    >
    > Currently testing:
    > Advanced Windows Care
    > http://www.iobit.com/WindowsCare.htm
    >
    > and:
    >
    > Tweaknow Regcleaner as a possible replacement for Reg cleaner. (which
    > is no longer being supported by the owner)
    > http://www.tweaknow.com/

    I've used RegCleaner for ages now, I've found it to be very good.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 15, 2006
  7. Philip

    Brendon Guest

    OK, for those of us, who don't regularly install, remove sharware etc, is
    there any great need to have a reg. cleaner?
    As my PC stands, it has just been reformatted, and had all new clean
    installs of just the progs I need, and as far as I can tell, will be this
    way for a while to come (its a development PC).

    Any tips for the uninitiated?
    Cheers
    Brendon

    Brendon, Mar 15, 2006
  8. Philip

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:39:13 +1300, "Brendon" <>
    exclaimed:

    >OK, for those of us, who don't regularly install, remove sharware etc, is
    >there any great need to have a reg. cleaner?
    >As my PC stands, it has just been reformatted, and had all new clean
    >installs of just the progs I need, and as far as I can tell, will be this
    >way for a while to come (its a development PC).
    >
    >Any tips for the uninitiated?
    >Cheers
    >Brendon

    As a general rule, you do not need a registry cleaner - it's not going
    to actually do anything worthwhile. Whilst your registry can get quite
    large, there is no real way for cleaners to completely accurately
    guesstimate what is legitimate, what is needed, and what isn't. Hence,
    these problems often cause quite large problems, especially in the
    hands of people not overly experienced with the Registry.

    As you have done, the best, and only foolproof, way of cleaning the
    registry is to simply reinstall.

    The other thing to consider is that, by database standards, the
    Registry is not really massive, even when it is by Registry standards.
    Remember, the Registry is just a database of settings.

    On the other hand, the Registry, like most databases, can become
    fragmented (in much the same way that files can), and a Registry
    Defragmenter can have a very positive performance outcome. Whilst some
    Registry cleaners do defragment as well, this is not the same thing.

    There are lots of "Registry Cleaner" programs floating around. Most
    are a scourge, and a total waste of money.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 15, 2006
  9. Philip

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:03:26 +1300, Philip <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > >I'm starting to see signs of clutter in the Registry.
    > >
    > >I'm looking for an effective registry cleaner. What do people here
    > >recommend?
    > >
    > >Philip
    > >
    > >(oh, the shame of having a dirty registry)

    > None. They usually cause more harm than good.
    >
    > Look for a Registry defragmenter, instead.

    I agree.

    For older machines see here..

    http://aumha.org/win4/a/regpak.php

    Craig Sutton, Mar 15, 2006
  10. Philip

    SchoolTech Guest

    Brendon wrote:
    > OK, for those of us, who don't regularly install, remove sharware etc, is
    > there any great need to have a reg. cleaner?
    > As my PC stands, it has just been reformatted, and had all new clean
    > installs of just the progs I need, and as far as I can tell, will be this
    > way for a while to come (its a development PC).
    >
    > Any tips for the uninitiated?
    > Cheers
    > Brendon

    I've never heard of anyone using them before. A modern PC running a
    modern version of Windows should not need them. IMO

    SchoolTech, Mar 15, 2006