    at the friend's house ... one must make sure he has his own cable with
    him. Why does Sony keep going against the common practices??

    ->HS
    H.S., Feb 8, 2008

  2. ? "H.S." <> ?????? ??? ??????
    news:2eeb1$47abae4d$4c0a84e3$-Free...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just helping a friend understand his new Sony DSC-W55 digital camera. I
    > just realized that it doesn't come with the usual USB mini plug but with
    > a "multi connector" socket and a corresponding cable.
    >
    > Why does Sony do that? Now one can't assume to use a friend's USB cable
    > at the friend's house ... one must make sure he has his own cable with
    > him. Why does Sony keep going against the common practices??

    It's a long practice for Sony to use proprietary interfaces or proprietary
    formats. Anybody over 30 must remember, the infamous beta video format, the
    mini disc, the micro mv camcorder cassete, digital 8 and so on. Anyway, I
    have both my camera's cable on the computer, and a USB card reader, FWIW....

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Feb 8, 2008

  3. H.S.

    Guest

    H.S. <> wrote:
    >Just helping a friend understand his new Sony DSC-W55 digital camera. I
    >just realized that it doesn't come with the usual USB mini plug but with
    >a "multi connector" socket and a corresponding cable.

    >Why does Sony do that? Now one can't assume to use a friend's USB cable
    >at the friend's house ... one must make sure he has his own cable with
    >him. Why does Sony keep going against the common practices??

    SONY are your propietary overlords. Buy anything from them and suffer..
    Peronsaly I check that new gadgets comply with standards, or they won't even
    get ordered.

    Just look how they implemented Linux on their Playstation. In some virtual
    machine etc..

    Another BS thrown these days is the refusal to give rescue discs with laptops.
    So I just told them, fix discs or no deal.
    , Feb 8, 2008