    I turned the tv speakers off on the menu, and it still whistles. It's
    something inside the tv, not the speakers.

    Any idea what's wrong with it?

    Mr. KiTe, Aug 30, 2004

  2. fucked !

    howie feltersnatch, Aug 30, 2004

  3. Mr. KiTe

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Mr. KiTe" <> wrote in message
    > I have a 60" inch Philips big screen tv, it's 4 years old - been used
    > a lot. Lately when I turn it on, after a while it starts to make a
    > shrill constant whistling noise. I can turn it off, and 5 second
    > later turn it back on it sounds normal, but 2 minutes later it starts
    > back whistling.
    >
    > I turned the tv speakers off on the menu, and it still whistles. It's
    > something inside the tv, not the speakers.
    >
    > Any idea what's wrong with it?

    Something in the high voltage section. I'm just guessing, but I'd expect
    that and a house call to fix it will cost you $350 or more.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

    FAQmeister, Aug 30, 2004
  4. >I have a 60" inch Philips big screen tv, it's 4 years old - been used a
    >lot. Lately when I turn it on, after a while it starts to make a shrill
    >constant whistling noise. I can turn it off, and 5 second later turn it
    >back on it sounds normal, but 2 minutes later it starts back whistling.

    An accurate determination of what's going on cannot be determined from such
    limited information.

    I strongly advise that you discontinue use of the set and call a reputable and
    certified repair professional to check your set out and give you a repair
    estimate. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Aug 31, 2004
  5. Mr. KiTe

    Nonymous Guest

    "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > >I have a 60" inch Philips big screen tv, it's 4 years old - been used a
    > >lot. Lately when I turn it on, after a while it starts to make a shrill
    > >constant whistling noise. I can turn it off, and 5 second later turn it
    > >back on it sounds normal, but 2 minutes later it starts back whistling.

    > An accurate determination of what's going on cannot be determined from

    such
    > limited information.
    >
    > I strongly advise that you discontinue use of the set and call a reputable

    and
    > certified repair professional to check your set out and give you a repair
    > estimate. - Reinhart

    Not only discontinue, but unplug it, too.

    Nonymous, Aug 31, 2004
  6. "Mr. KiTe" <> wrote in message
    > I have a 60" inch Philips big screen tv, it's 4 years old - been used a
    > lot. Lately when I turn it on, after a while it starts to make a shrill
    > constant whistling noise. I can turn it off, and 5 second later turn it
    > back on it sounds normal, but 2 minutes later it starts back whistling.
    >
    > I turned the tv speakers off on the menu, and it still whistles. It's
    > something inside the tv, not the speakers.
    >
    > Any idea what's wrong with it?

    Yes. The power supply has developed a fault. The whistle is coming from
    the main converter transformer which should normally be well out of audible
    range. You should discontinue use until it's fixed as furhter damage can be
    done.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Aug 31, 2004
  7. Mr. KiTe

    Mr. KiTe Guest

    Thanks.

    At first I checked the manual, the only idea it gave me was in one place
    it said "vaccum the holes on the back occassionally". I've never done
    that, so I opened the back of the tv unit, and vaccumed gently, then got
    dust remover (pc compact air cleaner can), and blew everything off with
    it. I considered that it could be full of dust, and maybe overheated.
    Hooked it back up, and no difference.

    It can be off for 5 hours, and then when you turn it on it's normal for
    2 hours or so, then the frequency noise starts. I've been watching it,
    and turning it off when it starts up. What permanant damage would it do
    to continue use?

    Assuming it is the converter, is $350 the best scenario to repair the
    fault, or does it have to be replaced? I hate pay that much. We use the
    tv constantly, it's practically been on 12 hours a day for the past 4
    years. The warrentee would of cost $500 for 3 years, but I didn't buy
    it. I've got a lot out of it, I'm thinking it may be more cost effective
    to buy a new one, unless they can last forever. I was expecting the
    first thing to go out would be the picture tube.

    It's a 1999 Philips 60" model, I bought it at SEARS in 2000 for $1,800,
    I had a $100 coupon, and it also came with a free DVD player by rebate.

    Thanks for any all help.

    Mr. KiTe, Sep 2, 2004
  8. "Mr. KiTe" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks.
    >
    > At first I checked the manual, the only idea it gave me was in one place
    > it said "vaccum the holes on the back occassionally". I've never done
    > that, so I opened the back of the tv unit, and vaccumed gently, then got
    > dust remover (pc compact air cleaner can), and blew everything off with
    > it. I considered that it could be full of dust, and maybe overheated.
    > Hooked it back up, and no difference.
    >
    > It can be off for 5 hours, and then when you turn it on it's normal for
    > 2 hours or so, then the frequency noise starts. I've been watching it,
    > and turning it off when it starts up. What permanant damage would it do
    > to continue use?
    >
    > Assuming it is the converter, is $350 the best scenario to repair the
    > fault, or does it have to be replaced? I hate pay that much. We use the
    > tv constantly, it's practically been on 12 hours a day for the past 4
    > years. The warrentee would of cost $500 for 3 years, but I didn't buy
    > it. I've got a lot out of it, I'm thinking it may be more cost effective
    > to buy a new one, unless they can last forever. I was expecting the
    > first thing to go out would be the picture tube.
    >
    > It's a 1999 Philips 60" model, I bought it at SEARS in 2000 for $1,800,
    > I had a $100 coupon, and it also came with a free DVD player by rebate.

    A reasonably competant technician will go straight to the faulty part, as
    power supply problems are amazingly frequent. Repair cost should be half to
    one hour plust the parts.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Sep 2, 2004
  9. Mr. KiTe

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Mr. KiTe" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks.
    >
    > At first I checked the manual, the only idea it gave me was in one
    > place it said "vaccum the holes on the back occassionally". I've
    > never done that, so I opened the back of the tv unit, and vaccumed
    > gently, then got dust remover (pc compact air cleaner can), and blew
    > everything off with it. I considered that it could be full of dust,
    > and maybe overheated. Hooked it back up, and no difference.
    >
    > It can be off for 5 hours, and then when you turn it on it's normal
    > for 2 hours or so, then the frequency noise starts. I've been
    > watching it, and turning it off when it starts up. What permanant
    > damage would it do to continue use?
    >
    > Assuming it is the converter, is $350 the best scenario to repair the
    > fault, or does it have to be replaced? I hate pay that much. We use
    > the tv constantly, it's practically been on 12 hours a day for the
    > past 4 years. The warrentee would of cost $500 for 3 years, but I
    > didn't buy it. I've got a lot out of it, I'm thinking it may be more
    > cost effective to buy a new one, unless they can last forever. I was
    > expecting the first thing to go out would be the picture tube.
    >
    > It's a 1999 Philips 60" model, I bought it at SEARS in 2000 for
    > $1,800, I had a $100 coupon, and it also came with a free DVD player
    > by rebate.
    >
    > Thanks for any all help.

    Nothing lasts forever. That TV should go another 5-10 years if it's
    repaired, but there's no guarantee.

    The best course of action at this point is for you to call around and
    find out how much a service call and repair estimate are going to cost.
    Needless to say, price shouldn't be the only consideration on that. Once
    you have the repair estimate you can make an informed decision as to
    whether it's worth it to proceed with the repair. Based on what you've
    said, I'd consider $350 or less to be worth it. Anything over that is a
    judgment call.

    FAQmeister, Sep 2, 2004
  10. Mr. KiTe

    Eric R. Guest

    (Mr. KiTe) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have a 60" inch Philips big screen tv, it's 4 years old - been used a
    > lot. Lately when I turn it on, after a while it starts to make a shrill
    > constant whistling noise. I can turn it off, and 5 second later turn it
    > back on it sounds normal, but 2 minutes later it starts back whistling.
    >
    > I turned the tv speakers off on the menu, and it still whistles. It's
    > something inside the tv, not the speakers.
    >
    > Any idea what's wrong with it?

    GET OUT OF THE HOUSE NOW!!!!!! Evacuate to another city and notify
    authorities from there.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Sep 3, 2004