    Any faster than you would read an email that has the subject:

    Enlarge your penis now!!!

    What a bunch of idiots...

    Zknb, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Zknb

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:54:30 GMT, Zknb wrote:

    >Have you noticed the trend in using random words for the subject line
    >to sneak past spam filters?
    >
    >I just don't understand why the spammers think you will read an email
    >that arrives from someone you do not know and has the subject:
    >
    >beltway dignify rectangle porcelain

    In a lot of cases they don't care if you actually read it or not. They're being
    paid to send them, not to guarantee you'll read them. That's not true of all
    spammers, but it is of some.

    --
    If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once
    in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things. --Rene Descartes

    Mara, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Piggy-backed (I don't see the OP)

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:12:58 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:54:30 GMT, Zknb wrote:
    >
    >>Have you noticed the trend in using random words for the subject line to
    >>sneak past spam filters?
    >>
    >>I just don't understand why the spammers think you will read an email
    >>that arrives from someone you do not know and has the subject:
    >>
    >>beltway dignify rectangle porcelain

    > In a lot of cases they don't care if you actually read it or not.
    > They're being paid to send them, not to guarantee you'll read them.
    > That's not true of all spammers, but it is of some.

    And, humans being what they are, there are bound to be some who'll read
    the junk, and some (very few) who'll actually fall for the scam, pitch, or
    whatever. It's a percentage game. The spammer sends out millions of spams
    and even if only one one hundredth of one per cent respond, the expense is
    negligible in relation to potential profit. Think how much it would cost
    to send that much postal mail, then consider how much it costs to send
    that much junk email, and you'll get the picture.

    Sure, the account gets suspended or cancelled, after the damage is done.
    And, there are spam-friendly ISPs, open relays, and all the rest of it.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Beer!!11!! The staff of life.

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Zknb wrote:

    > Have you noticed the trend in using random words for the subject line
    > to sneak past spam filters?
    >
    > I just don't understand why the spammers think you will read an email
    > that arrives from someone you do not know and has the subject:
    >
    > beltway dignify rectangle porcelain
    >
    > Any faster than you would read an email that has the subject:
    >
    > Enlarge your penis now!!!
    >
    > What a bunch of idiots...

    Actually, though, the stream-of-consciousness in those random word strings
    can sometimes be pretty neat. I've been saving some of the better ones. :)
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 23, 2004