    with pop-ups and a web site had made itself our home page, so more
    cleanups.
    Why does it take so many different spware programs to clean up..?
    EW105, Nov 19, 2005

  2. EW105 wrote:
    > First off, thanks for the help on my previous post re my kids computer
    > running slow.
    > I'm still scanning.
    > Took the advice and went to Iamnotageek site and going thru the process
    > of cleaning up the computer with all the spyware/virus removal programs
    > it lists. I don't understand that it takes so many programs to clean up
    > a computer. Seems to me TrendMicro should be enough but it doesn't look
    > to be that way. No matter what I scan with, it still finds more "stuff"
    > to clean. We went on the net to look for one particular spyware prooram
    > using Google. My son mistyped Google and we were right away inundated
    > with pop-ups and a web site had made itself our home page, so more
    > cleanups.
    > Why does it take so many different spware programs to clean up..?

    Each program is put together by different teams. They run into different
    types of malware, there's no one central clearing house for malware. And
    different teams make different judgemental calls on what is a virus,
    what is spyware, etc. It just makes good sense to use different
    antivirus and antispyware programs to get the benefit of more than one team.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 19, 2005

  3. EW105

    Plato Guest

    EW105 wrote:

    > Took the advice and went to Iamnotageek site and going thru the process
    > of cleaning up the computer with all the spyware/virus removal programs
    > it lists. I don't understand that it takes so many programs to clean up
    > a computer. Seems to me TrendMicro should be enough but it doesn't look

    It takes 2 anti-virus and 2 anti-spyware.

    It's just the way it is.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 19, 2005
  4. EW105

    PC Guest

    "EW105" <> wrote in message
    > First off, thanks for the help on my previous post re my kids computer
    > running slow.
    > I'm still scanning.
    > Took the advice and went to Iamnotageek site and going thru the process
    > of cleaning up the computer with all the spyware/virus removal programs
    > it lists. I don't understand that it takes so many programs to clean up
    > a computer. Seems to me TrendMicro should be enough but it doesn't look
    > to be that way. No matter what I scan with, it still finds more "stuff"
    > to clean. We went on the net to look for one particular spyware prooram
    > using Google. My son mistyped Google and we were right away inundated
    > with pop-ups and a web site had made itself our home page, so more
    > cleanups.
    > Why does it take so many different spware programs to clean up..?

    EW105

    Computers despite their 'binary' nature are surprisingly 'human' in the way
    they work.
    Reason, because humans program them.

    Unfortunately a lot of people assume there is a 'one button' fix for all
    things computer.
    Regretfully the sheer complexity of their hardware and software interaction
    precludes a 'simple' solution.

    As a human you consult with several sources when assessing the viability of
    a product, worth of a car, danger of a risky venture. The same applies to
    computers.

    Sorry but them's the breaks.

    Paul.
    PC, Nov 19, 2005
  5. EW105

    Trax Guest

    EW105 <> wrote:

    |>We went on the net to look for one particular spyware prooram
    |>using Google. My son mistyped Google and we were right away inundated
    |>with pop-ups and a web site had made itself our home page, so more
    |>cleanups.

    Disable ActiveX - internet options, security, custom level

    Run Opera or FireFox as your browser, and anything but Outlook (Agent
    is good).

    Run a good HOST file
    What a HOSTS file is:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    A popular one:
    http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
    The one I use:
    http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

    Will stop a lot of your problems.

    --
    notpr0n - "The hardest riddle available on the internet"
    http://www.deathball.net/notpron/levelone.htm
    Trax, Nov 19, 2005
  6. EW105

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, EW105
    <> wrote:

    > First off, thanks for the help on my previous post re my kids computer
    > running slow.
    > I'm still scanning.
    > Took the advice and went to Iamnotageek site and going thru the process
    > of cleaning up the computer with all the spyware/virus removal programs
    > it lists. I don't understand that it takes so many programs to clean up
    > a computer. Seems to me TrendMicro should be enough but it doesn't look
    > to be that way. No matter what I scan with, it still finds more "stuff"
    > to clean. We went on the net to look for one particular spyware prooram
    > using Google. My son mistyped Google and we were right away inundated
    > with pop-ups and a web site had made itself our home page, so more
    > cleanups.
    > Why does it take so many different spware programs to clean up..?

    Heck, if there were only one way to infect the computer, and no one
    were trying to hide anything, then every tool could be totally
    comprehensive.

    As it is, the method of looking, the knowledge of the makers, even the
    interaction with your OS makes a lot of difference. And there are lots
    of ways to do some of this.
    Mitch, Nov 19, 2005