    drive and it says unknown usb object. I can't get the drive to work unless I
    change around USB ports to a new port or reboot the pc.

    Any ideas?
    Brian, Aug 18, 2004

  2. Brian

    Stevo Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > I have a weird USB problem. I have XP PRO and using an external hard
    > drive. The drive works fine. Here is my problem:
    >
    > I have the computer and HD on and running just fine. If I turn off
    > the hard drive with the power, when I turn the drive back on, winXP
    > can't notice the drive and it says unknown usb object. I can't get
    > the drive to work unless I change around USB ports to a new port or
    > reboot the pc.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Are you using XP's 'Safely Remove Hardware' applet (usually appears in the
    System Tray when a USB device is attached)?

    If not, maybe you could try that and see if the problem continues to occur.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Aug 18, 2004

  3. Brian

    pcbutts1 Guest

    WHAT! are you trying to lose your data? You don't just cut the power. Do
    what Stevo said, that is the correct way to do it.

    pcbutts1, Aug 18, 2004
  4. Brian

    Dima Guest

    I have that problem too. But I tried using SAFE DISCONNECT, in many
    cases it just tells me that the drive cannot be disconnected.

    I have another problem with USB HDDs... If I write a large file,
    Windows XP simply looses the drive in MY COMPUTER (write fails,
    by-the-way). Read - no problems, write - only small files...

    Dima, Aug 24, 2004