whats up with this pagefile?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    I got given 256 meg RAM for Xmas so put it in this machine which is now
    running 768Meg.

    I thought for a laugh I would set the pagefile to zero just to see what
    would happen.

    The pagefile under virtual memory in performance options in system
    properties says the min allows is 2MB, recommended is 1150MB and currently
    allocated is 0MB.
    Fine

    CTRL ALT DEL - performance tells me the current Page file is at 382MB

    HUH?

    Physical memory - 785908
    Available - 313220
    System Cache - 413340 (these numbers are changing as I type but they are
    about right)

    So what is up with that?

    BTW, I have a few apps running and burning a disc at the moment so the
    400+MB Ram in use is not a surprise. Just the 3802MB pagefile when its not
    surposed to have one???
    cowboyz, Jan 6, 2005

  2. cowboyz

    Bok Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > CTRL ALT DEL - performance tells me the current Page file is at 382MB
    >
    > HUH?

    Are you running XP and looking at the PF Usage chart?

    If so this is a potential misnomer or at least confusing to some. It's
    actually more like "potential" Page File usage not actual page file
    usage. Take a look at the actual size of the hidden file pagefile.sys in
    explorer this will show you the actual size allocated - size can vary
    between your configured initial and max size at any time.

    In task manager, compare PF Usage MB to the Current value for Total
    Commit Charge (K). This is the total committed memory, which could be
    accomodated in physical RAM without going to the page file.

    Now take a look at peak commit charge, if this is lower than total
    physical then you shouldn't be into paging. However, note that the fast
    user switching feature in XP does use the page file to roll-out inactive
    user pages.

    Bok, Jan 6, 2005