    they've never had it on display at the sony superstore in
    manhattan(again,,,only the alpha)
    , Nov 8, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >is this some kind of mystery camera or something?
    >
    >it's not listed at the sony site(they hilite the a100, a100k).
    >
    >it's now selling for as low as $650

    If you want it, you should buy it now. It is getting rarer every week.
    If you live in the USA, you can use Yahoo! shopping or pronto.com to
    search for deals. Pricegrabber is showing few sellers. Pricegrabber
    shows higher prices.
    --
    David Arnstein (00)
    {{ }}
    David Arnstein, Nov 8, 2006

  3. Guest

    so, why is this? cuz of the alpha???
    this is the most short-lived camera ever.

    David Arnstein wrote:

    > If you want it, you should buy it now. It is getting rarer every week.
    > If you live in the USA, you can use Yahoo! shopping or pronto.com to
    > search for deals.
    , Nov 8, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > so, why is this? cuz of the alpha???
    > this is the most short-lived camera ever.

    I would have liked a non-SLR camera with a larger sensor for better
    quality - at least until I saw the size and weight of that brute!

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 8, 2006
  5. Panos Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > so, why is this? cuz of the alpha???
    > > this is the most short-lived camera ever.

    > I would have liked a non-SLR camera with a larger sensor for better
    > quality - at least until I saw the size and weight of that brute!
    >
    > David

    Your desire is shared by many other people but unfortunately it is not
    shared by the camera manufacturers who want to make you buy an SLR
    camera with their overpriced lenses in order to lock you in their
    system. The upcoming Sigma DP1 looks promising but it is still under
    development.

    Panos
    Panos, Nov 8, 2006
  6. Kinon O'Cann Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > is this some kind of mystery camera or something?
    >
    > it's not listed at the sony site(they hilite the a100, a100k).
    >
    > it's now selling for as low as $650
    >
    > they've never had it on display at the sony superstore in
    > manhattan(again,,,only the alpha)

    I never thought this camera could succeed, since it seems to compete with
    cameras with more capabilities, like SLRs. I think Sony really blew it by
    not improving the 828. If Sony had included IR, and a good movie mode on the
    R1 I might have bought one. But what in the hell is the point in the R1 if
    you already own an SLR? And if you're willing to carry something that large,
    why not just get an SLR? Sony clearly missed the boat on this one.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 8, 2006
  7. Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Panos" <> wrote in message

    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> > so, why is this? cuz of the alpha???
    >> > this is the most short-lived camera ever.

    >> I would have liked a non-SLR camera with a larger sensor for better
    >> quality - at least until I saw the size and weight of that brute!
    >>
    >> David

    > Your desire is shared by many other people but unfortunately it is not
    > shared by the camera manufacturers who want to make you buy an SLR
    > camera with their overpriced lenses in order to lock you in their
    > system. The upcoming Sigma DP1 looks promising but it is still under
    > development.

    Isn't that a fixed-focal length lens? If so, who wants that? Why bother?

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 8, 2006
  8. Cgiorgio Guest

    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > is this some kind of mystery camera or something?
    >
    > it's not listed at the sony site(they hilite the a100, a100k).

    Seems to be different in Europe:
    http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProductCategory.action?site=odw_en_GB&category=DCC+Digital+Still+Cameras> it's now selling for as low as $650>Didn't the prices for entry level DSLR - kits drop as well?> they've never had it on display at the sony superstore in> manhattan(again,,,only the alpha)>
    Cgiorgio, Nov 8, 2006
  9. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <Gqn4h.20$>, Kinon O'Cann
    says...

    > I never thought this camera could succeed, since it seems to compete with
    > cameras with more capabilities, like SLRs. I think Sony really blew it by
    > not improving the 828. If Sony had included IR, and a good movie mode on the
    > R1 I might have bought one. But what in the hell is the point in the R1 if
    > you already own an SLR? And if you're willing to carry something that large,
    > why not just get an SLR?

    Live preview. I've nothing against cameras with interchangeable lenses
    and large sensors, as long as they have live preview on a swivelable
    screen. That's an essential feature for the kind of photography I do.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Nov 9, 2006
  10. Guest

    Kinon O'Cann je napisao/la:
    > I never thought this camera could succeed, since it seems to compete with
    > cameras with more capabilities, like SLRs. I think Sony really blew it by
    > not improving the 828. If Sony had included IR, and a good movie mode on the
    > R1 I might have bought one. But what in the hell is the point in the R1 if
    > you already own an SLR? And if you're willing to carry something that large,
    > why not just get an SLR? Sony clearly missed the boat on this one.

    It's cheapest solution for someone in the need of great image quality
    maybe?
    , Nov 9, 2006
  11. Kinon O'Cann Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Kinon O'Cann je napisao/la:
    >> I never thought this camera could succeed, since it seems to compete with
    >> cameras with more capabilities, like SLRs. I think Sony really blew it by
    >> not improving the 828. If Sony had included IR, and a good movie mode on
    >> the
    >> R1 I might have bought one. But what in the hell is the point in the R1
    >> if
    >> you already own an SLR? And if you're willing to carry something that
    >> large,
    >> why not just get an SLR? Sony clearly missed the boat on this one.
    >>

    > It's cheapest solution for someone in the need of great image quality
    > maybe?

    But the image quality isn't great, especially at higher ISOs where it cannot
    compete with the DLSRs.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 9, 2006
  12. Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Gqn4h.20$>, Kinon O'Cann
    > says...
    >>
    >> I never thought this camera could succeed, since it seems to compete with
    >> cameras with more capabilities, like SLRs. I think Sony really blew it by
    >> not improving the 828. If Sony had included IR, and a good movie mode on
    >> the
    >> R1 I might have bought one. But what in the hell is the point in the R1
    >> if
    >> you already own an SLR? And if you're willing to carry something that
    >> large,
    >> why not just get an SLR?

    > Live preview. I've nothing against cameras with interchangeable lenses
    > and large sensors, as long as they have live preview on a swivelable
    > screen. That's an essential feature for the kind of photography I do.

    How did you get along in life before this cam appeared? What camera offered
    that combination prior to this one?

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 9, 2006
  13. Guest

    Kinon O'Cann je napisao/la:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > It's cheapest solution for someone in the need of great image quality
    > > maybe?

    > But the image quality isn't great, especially at higher ISOs where it cannot
    > compete with the DLSRs.

    Now, I didn't use DSLR ever, have my A70 for three years and I want
    some nice pictures without trashing mega-bucks. As Steve said, DSLR
    with matching image quality would cost double the R1 at least (888$
    here at my place, 800$ 350D w kit lens, 952$ E-500 w dual kit), and I
    can believe him seeing images made with kit lens that came with most.

    I want nice clean believable pictures for my architecture and landscape
    photo, RAW and 24-120, can you gave me another solution for least money
    and hassle with using it and carrying it around? (don't care for higher
    ISO, I like night photography but tripod is a must anyway for it)...
    , Nov 9, 2006
  14. Kinon O'Cann Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Kinon O'Cann je napisao/la:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > It's cheapest solution for someone in the need of great image quality
    >> > maybe?

    >> But the image quality isn't great, especially at higher ISOs where it
    >> cannot
    >> compete with the DLSRs.
    >>

    > Now, I didn't use DSLR ever, have my A70 for three years and I want
    > some nice pictures without trashing mega-bucks. As Steve said, DSLR
    > with matching image quality would cost double the R1 at least (888$
    > here at my place, 800$ 350D w kit lens, 952$ E-500 w dual kit), and I
    > can believe him seeing images made with kit lens that came with most.
    >
    > I want nice clean believable pictures for my architecture and landscape
    > photo, RAW and 24-120, can you gave me another solution for least money
    > and hassle with using it and carrying it around? (don't care for higher
    > ISO, I like night photography but tripod is a must anyway for it)...

    A Canon or Nikon entry level DSLR with an appropriate lens would be fine.
    Maybe a little more, maybe a little less oney, but a far better system. And,
    if you want to shoot RAW, forget the Sony. 10 seconds between shots?!
    Please! A total waste of time.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 9, 2006
  15. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <QUJ4h.30$>, Kinon O'Cann
    says...

    > if you want to shoot RAW, forget the Sony. 10 seconds between shots?!

    3.5 seconds if you use a fast Memory Stick. You probably have never used
    an R1.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Nov 9, 2006
  16. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <OwF4h.26$>, Kinon O'Cann
    says...

    > How did you get along in life before this cam appeared? What camera offered
    > that combination prior to this one?

    Tons of other cameras with a smaller sensor.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Nov 9, 2006
  17. m Ransley Guest

    I believe at dpreview they state considering just the lens of the R1 is
    worth 900$ itself, so for the present price its a great deal for
    architectural shooting if you use Iso 100. Add to that I.S., swivel Lcd,
    and live preview. To get a dslr and lens to compete would likely cost
    16-1800. It probably hasnt sold since it is a specific use camera , and
    big. For 650 or so buy it.
    m Ransley, Nov 9, 2006
  18. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, m Ransley
    says...
    > I believe at dpreview they state considering just the lens of the R1 is
    > worth 900$ itself, so for the present price its a great deal for
    > architectural shooting if you use Iso 100. Add to that I.S.,

    Unfortunately the R1 has no IS.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Nov 9, 2006
  19. Panos wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> so, why is this? cuz of the alpha???
    >>> this is the most short-lived camera ever.

    >> I would have liked a non-SLR camera with a larger sensor for better
    >> quality - at least until I saw the size and weight of that brute!
    >>
    >> David

    > Your desire is shared by many other people but unfortunately it is not
    > shared by the camera manufacturers who want to make you buy an SLR
    > camera with their overpriced lenses in order to lock you in their
    > system. The upcoming Sigma DP1 looks promising but it is still under
    > development.
    >
    > Panos

    Too bad the Stigma DP1 is a 4.5 megapixel toy
    Not Disclosed, Nov 9, 2006
  20. Kinon O'cann Guest

    > In article <QUJ4h.30$>, Kinon O'Cann
    > says...
    >
    >> if you want to shoot RAW, forget the Sony. 10 seconds between shots?!

    > 3.5 seconds if you use a fast Memory Stick. You probably have never used
    > an R1.

    Wow. Blazing speed. I never used one with a card that fast, true. But that
    still stinks.

    Kinon O'cann, Nov 10, 2006