    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009

  2. thanatoid

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 17 Mar 2009 05:08:24 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to the
    >Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com) no
    >matter which of my 3 browsers I use.
    >
    >I do not have a hosts file, so it's not my computer. I can
    >connect to everything else.
    >
    >Anyone have ANY idea what's going on here?

    Assuming you use XP / Windows:

    Start, Run, cmd <Enter>

    ping adobe.com
    Results?
    ping www.adobe.com
    Results?

    telnet www.adobe.com 80<Enter>
    You should see a blank blinking cursor - type - all uppercase, and you
    won't see what you're typing:
    GET /<Enter><Enter>
    That's GET <Space>SLASH <Enter><Enter>.

    You should then see HTML 'Code'

    What's the results of the above?
    Evan Platt, Mar 17, 2009

  3. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On 17 Mar 2009 05:08:24 GMT, thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to
    >>the Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com)
    >>no matter which of my 3 browsers I use.
    >>
    >>I do not have a hosts file, so it's not my computer. I can
    >>connect to everything else.
    >>
    >>Anyone have ANY idea what's going on here?

    > Assuming you use XP / Windows:
    >
    > Start, Run, cmd <Enter>
    >
    > ping adobe.com
    > Results?

    request timed out, repeats that line a few times then closes

    > ping www.adobe.com
    > Results?

    same

    also tried the numerical, same result.

    > telnet www.adobe.com 80<Enter>

    Box says: Could not open connection to...

    > You should see a blank blinking cursor - type - all
    > uppercase, and you won't see what you're typing:
    > GET /<Enter><Enter>
    > That's GET <Space>SLASH <Enter><Enter>.
    > You should then see HTML 'Code'
    > What's the results of the above?

    Box says: Could not open connection to...

    Also tried FTP... Nothing.

    Is it worth trying opendns? I hate signing up for things I will
    never use, and I don't think it will make a difference in THIS
    situation.

    Thanks for trying to help. If you have any more ideas, let me
    know.
    I am not in the US nor in fact in any country even remotely
    deserving the name of "normal", but I have always been able to
    connect to everything, and I still can - except adobe AND
    macromedia - tried that too, although I believe mm is now owned
    by A, they kept the URL's.

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  4. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Update:

    Tried GRC's IDServe, nothing. Tried whois and checked the ip
    addresses, nothing.

    I am totally baffled.

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  5. thanatoid

    Sunny Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    | Update:
    |
    | Tried GRC's IDServe, nothing. Tried whois and checked the ip
    | addresses, nothing.
    |
    | I am totally baffled.

    The Asia Pacific site is OK :
    http://www.adobe.com/ap/
    Sunny, Mar 17, 2009
  6. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Sunny" <> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >| Update:
    >|
    >| Tried GRC's IDServe, nothing. Tried whois and checked the ip
    >| addresses, nothing.
    >|
    >| I am totally baffled.
    >
    > The Asia Pacific site is OK :
    > http://www.adobe.com/ap/

    Thanks for checking, but it's no go from here. I think it's the
    same server farm anyway, since the basic address is the same.

    If it was www.asia.adobe.com, it /might/ be a different thing.

    It doesn't REALLY matter but I just hate mysteries.

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  7. thanatoid

    Mike Easter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to the
    > Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com) no
    > matter which of my 3 browsers I use.

    Adobe http://www.adobe.com/ is currently up. There is no news posting of
    any difficulty nor that I could see in the forum for Reader
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee6b2e6/

    Answering at

    Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: www.adobe.com
    The IP address for the domain is: 192.150.18.101
    Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
    [Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
    The server returned the following response headers:
    <snip http>

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 17, 2009
  8. thanatoid

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Evan Platt <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 17 Mar 2009 05:08:24 GMT, thanatoid
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to
    >>> the Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com)
    >>> no matter which of my 3 browsers I use.
    >>>
    >>> I do not have a hosts file, so it's not my computer. I can
    >>> connect to everything else.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have ANY idea what's going on here?

    >> Assuming you use XP / Windows:
    >>
    >> Start, Run, cmd <Enter>
    >>
    >> ping adobe.com
    >> Results?

    > request timed out, repeats that line a few times then closes
    >
    >> ping www.adobe.com
    >> Results?

    What is the result from:
    nslookup www.adobe.com
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 17, 2009
  9. thanatoid

    Evan Platt Guest

    Ummm www.adobe.com/ap is Adobe US. :)
    Evan Platt, Mar 17, 2009
  10. thanatoid

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 17 Mar 2009 06:25:15 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >Evan Platt <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 17 Mar 2009 05:08:24 GMT, thanatoid
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to
    >>>the Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com)
    >>>no matter which of my 3 browsers I use.
    >>>
    >>>I do not have a hosts file, so it's not my computer. I can
    >>>connect to everything else.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone have ANY idea what's going on here?

    >> Assuming you use XP / Windows:
    >>
    >> Start, Run, cmd <Enter>
    >>
    >> ping adobe.com
    >> Results?

    >request timed out, repeats that line a few times then closes
    >
    >> ping www.adobe.com
    >> Results?

    >same
    >
    >also tried the numerical, same result.
    >

    >> telnet www.adobe.com 80<Enter>

    >Box says: Could not open connection to...
    >
    >> You should see a blank blinking cursor - type - all
    >> uppercase, and you won't see what you're typing:
    >> GET /<Enter><Enter>
    >> That's GET <Space>SLASH <Enter><Enter>.
    >> You should then see HTML 'Code'
    >> What's the results of the above?

    >Box says: Could not open connection to...
    >
    >Also tried FTP... Nothing.
    >
    >Is it worth trying opendns? I hate signing up for things I will
    >never use, and I don't think it will make a difference in THIS
    >situation.
    >
    >Thanks for trying to help. If you have any more ideas, let me
    >know.
    >I am not in the US nor in fact in any country even remotely
    >deserving the name of "normal", but I have always been able to
    >connect to everything, and I still can - except adobe AND
    >macromedia - tried that too, although I believe mm is now owned
    >by A, they kept the URL's.

    As Desk Rabbit says, what does nslookup adobe.com say?
    Evan Platt, Mar 17, 2009
  11. thanatoid

    G. Morgan Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    >For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to the
    >Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com) no
    >matter which of my 3 browsers I use.
    >
    >I do not have a hosts file, so it's not my computer. I can
    >connect to everything else.
    >
    >Anyone have ANY idea what's going on here?

    It's working here.

    Try this in the future:
    http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

    Try a web proxy to see if it works:
    http://www.the-cloak.com/Cloaked/ cfg=32/http://www.adobe.com/

    Adobe's site may be blocking your ISP or some of it's IP range because of
    spam, ask your ISP if they can reach it.

    What happens when you go right on Adobe's site with only the IP?
    http://192.150.8.60/

    --
    "Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_fe_st/odd_goat_thief_5

    **Important Update**
    Magic goat detained for armed robbery:
    http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=13298291
    G. Morgan, Mar 17, 2009
  12. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >>> Assuming you use XP / Windows:
    >>>
    >>> Start, Run, cmd <Enter>
    >>>
    >>> ping adobe.com
    >>> Results?

    >> request timed out, repeats that line a few times then closes
    >>
    >>> ping www.adobe.com
    >>> Results?

    > What is the result from:
    > nslookup www.adobe.com

    Don't have that exe, I run 98SE Lite.

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  13. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote in

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  14. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    G. Morgan <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >>For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to
    >>the Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com)
    >>no matter which of my 3 browsers I use.
    >>
    >>I do not have a hosts file, so it's not my computer. I can
    >>connect to everything else.
    >>
    >>Anyone have ANY idea what's going on here?

    > It's working here.
    >
    > Try this in the future:
    > http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

    "It's not just you! q looks down from here."

    > Try a web proxy to see if it works:
    > http://www.the-cloak.com/Cloaked/ cfg=32/http://www.adobe.
    > com/

    It says:
    Error retrieving remote page
    Error retrieving remote page http://http://www.adobe.com/
    Error type: COULD-NOT-RESOLVE-HOST-IP

    Don;t know WHY it put it inthe extra http...

    (Great site to know about, I've never used a proxy before, but
    you never know, thanks.)

    Moments later:
    I took the extra http out, and it connected!
    Thanks!
    I'll call my ISP and ask WTF.

    > Adobe's site may be blocking your ISP or some of it's IP
    > range because of spam, ask your ISP if they can reach it.
    >
    > What happens when you go right on Adobe's site with only
    > the IP? http://192.150.8.60/

    Deathly emptiness and black silence.

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  15. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > As Desk Rabbit says, what does nslookup adobe.com say?

    As I replied to him, it does not seem to exist on my 98SE
    machine.

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  16. thanatoid

    Mike Easter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit

    >> What is the result from:
    >> nslookup www.adobe.com

    > Don't have that exe, I run 98SE Lite.

    win98 has nslookup. Whether it is configured usefully is another matter.

    I have to put a nameserver in or it uses localhost, which I don't have
    configured on my w98 system.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 17, 2009
  17. thanatoid

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 17 Mar 2009 18:25:47 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >As I replied to him, it does not seem to exist on my 98SE
    >machine.

    Eek.. Ok, so ping actually resolved the host - ie when you did ping
    www.adobe.com , it said
    Pinging www.wip3.adobe.com [192.150.18.101] with 32 bytes of data:

    ? So DNS is working but if a ping isn't going through, either you or
    your ISP is maybe blocking pings. Can you ping www.google.com ?
    Evan Platt, Mar 17, 2009
  18. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> Desk Rabbit

    >>> What is the result from:
    >>> nslookup www.adobe.com

    >> Don't have that exe, I run 98SE Lite.

    > win98 has nslookup. Whether it is configured usefully is
    > another matter.

    I've never heard of it, and there is nothing called nslookup.exe
    (I guessed the best I could) in my entire win dir (or C drive
    FTM).

    Anyway, I just called my STUPID ISP. SHE couldn't connect
    either. She went to talk to the supervisor, and came back 5
    minutes later and said it's OK now. She would not elaborate on
    whether they had it blocked or what.

    So I just tried it - NOTHING. Not surprising, my ISP are a bunch
    of retards.

    Anyway, since the connection by proxy worked, and it wasn't a
    big deal anyway, that's that.

    Thanks for your help and sorry to take up so much of your time.

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  19. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On 17 Mar 2009 18:25:47 GMT, thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>As I replied to him, it does not seem to exist on my 98SE
    >>machine.

    > Eek.. Ok, so ping actually resolved the host - ie when you
    > did ping www.adobe.com , it said
    > Pinging www.wip3.adobe.com [192.150.18.101] with 32 bytes
    > of data:

    Yes, but times out, no connection.

    > ? So DNS is working but if a ping isn't going through,
    > either you or your ISP is maybe blocking pings. Can you
    > ping www.google.com ?

    Yes.

    See the reply to Mike a few moments ago, and thank you for all
    your help and sorry to take up YOUR time as well. Stupid ISP's.
    Maybe in a few years there will be no more ISP's, everyone will
    be directly plugged in.

    Cheers.

    thanatoid, Mar 17, 2009
  20. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >> Anyway, I just called my STUPID ISP. SHE couldn't connect
    >> either. She went to talk to the supervisor, and came back
    >> 5 minutes later and said it's OK now. She would not
    >> elaborate on whether they had it blocked or what.
    >>
    >> So I just tried it - NOTHING. Not surprising, my ISP are a
    >> bunch of retards.
    >>
    >> Anyway, since the connection by proxy worked, and it
    >> wasn't a big deal anyway, that's that.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help and sorry to take up so much of your
    >> time.
    >>

    > Try getting there frome here:http://www.phproxy.org/
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks.