    ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    what?
    Starkey, Aug 24, 2004

  2. Starkey

    Chris Guest

    Starkey <> wrote in
    news::

    > ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    > having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    > what?

    Same here, you didn't complain about the problem by any chance did you ?

    I recommended them to a friend that wanted to set up 2 accounts with a new
    ISP - 1 for business, 1 for home but they have never received the DD forms
    that were requested, so no money has changed hands.

    From my personal experience they seem to make lots of promises (we are
    upgrading this and that, I will have my supervisor contact you to discuss
    this problem etc) but don't deliver - most of the time. This is
    completely at odds with other peoples experiences reported in this NG - one
    of my reasons for signing up in the first place.
    Chris, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Starkey

    Chris Guest

    Starkey <> wrote in

    > ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    > having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    > what?

    Same here, you didn't complain about the problem by any chance did you ?

    I recommended them to a friend that wanted to set up 2 accounts with a new
    ISP - 1 for business, 1 for home but they have never received the DD forms
    that were requested, so no money has changed hands.

    From my personal experience they seem to make lots of promises (we are
    Chris, Aug 24, 2004
  4. Starkey

    Chris Guest

    Starkey <> wrote in

    > ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    > having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    > what?

    Same here, you didn't complain about the problem by any chance did you ?

    I recommended them to a friend that wanted to set up 2 accounts with a new
    ISP - 1 for business, 1 for home but they have never received the DD forms
    that were requested, so no money has changed hands.

    From my personal experience they seem to make lots of promises (we are
    Chris, Aug 24, 2004
  5. Starkey

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Chris said the following on 24/08/2004 18:35:

    > Starkey <> wrote in
    >

    >>ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    >>having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    >>what?

    > Same here, you didn't complain about the problem by any chance did you ?
    >
    > I recommended them to a friend that wanted to set up 2 accounts with a new
    > ISP - 1 for business, 1 for home but they have never received the DD forms
    > that were requested, so no money has changed hands.
    >
    > From my personal experience they seem to make lots of promises (we are
    > upgrading this and that, I will have my supervisor contact you to discuss
    > this problem etc) but don't deliver - most of the time. This is
    > completely at odds with other peoples experiences reported in this NG - one
    > of my reasons for signing up in the first place.

    As one of the supporters of orcon in this news group I am disapointed to
    hear of your experiance. I must admit I have never emailed support
    except when replying to requests from them forme to help by running
    tests etc.
    Generally I ring them and have had no problems getting assistance that way.
    05084orcon
    What pages are you having an issue with?
    Collector_NZ, Aug 24, 2004
  6. Starkey

    Chris Guest

    Starkey <> wrote in

    > ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    > having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    > what?

    Same here, you didn't complain about the problem by any chance did you ?

    I recommended them to a friend that wanted to set up 2 accounts with a new
    ISP - 1 for business, 1 for home but they have never received the DD forms
    that were requested, so no money has changed hands.

    From my personal experience they seem to make lots of promises (we are
    Chris, Aug 24, 2004
  7. Starkey

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:37:57 +1200, Starkey wrote:

    > ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    > having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    > what?

    Yeah, I emailed them with a few queries in recent past and it's taken them
    a week to get back to me.

    Also their help desk has been less than startling for me lately (re: the
    **** up they made when I was changing from jetstart to jetstream surf).

    COME ON SEEBY! The customer relations are slipping and there needs to be
    some action!

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man far better than through mortal friends." -- S. Weir Mitchell

    Note: All my comments are copyright 24/08/2004 8:29:18 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Aug 24, 2004
  8. Starkey

    XPD Guest

    "Starkey" <> wrote in message
    > ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    > having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    > what?

    It took them about 4 months to finally get back to me about a job position I
    applied for so I wouldnt surprised if getting help is about the same
    turn-around ;) Hehe
    XPD, Aug 24, 2004
  9. Starkey

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:19:58 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > It took them about 4 months to finally get back to me about a job position I
    > applied for so I wouldnt surprised if getting help is about the same
    > turn-around ;) Hehe

    Are they skimping on the quality of the helpdesk staff, or the quantity ?
    Or both ?

    Used to be I could tell a client "they are slightly dearer, but you will
    have no trouble with them and they know their stuff". Used to be you would
    go 6 months without a problem. I am starting to find neither is entirely
    justifiable now though.

    For example, I still get errors from the NNTP server. I notice they do not
    explain what usenet is or how to set it up on their site, prefering to
    promote their own in-house web forum system instead.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "[David] Cronenberg is to Toronto as John Hughes is to Chicago." -- David Plant, Toronto Film Commissioner

    Note: All my comments are copyright 24/08/2004 11:04:43 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Aug 24, 2004
  10. Starkey

    Chris Guest

    Collector_NZ <> wrote in

    > Chris said the following on 24/08/2004 18:35:
    >
    >> Starkey <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    >>>having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    >>>what?

    >> Same here, you didn't complain about the problem by any chance did
    >> you ?
    >>
    >> I recommended them to a friend that wanted to set up 2 accounts with
    >> a new ISP - 1 for business, 1 for home but they have never received
    >> the DD forms that were requested, so no money has changed hands.
    >>
    >> From my personal experience they seem to make lots of promises (we
    >> are upgrading this and that, I will have my supervisor contact you to
    >> discuss this problem etc) but don't deliver - most of the time.
    >> This is completely at odds with other peoples experiences reported in
    >> this NG - one of my reasons for signing up in the first place.

    > As one of the supporters of orcon in this news group I am disapointed
    > to hear of your experiance. I must admit I have never emailed support
    > except when replying to requests from them forme to help by running
    > tests etc.
    > Generally I ring them and have had no problems getting assistance that
    > way. 05084orcon
    > What pages are you having an issue with?

    Well, I'm not having any problems with web pages (but did like many ppl
    when surf first came online) but some of the problems I have had are
    1. Not being able to server side filter pop3 using Pegasus though I've
    been able to with a number of other pop3 servers
    2. Not being able to connect to any SMTP server outside of Orcon (I have
    managed that with some ISP's to some SMTP servers) and yes I know why
    ISP's wouldn't want to let ppl do that
    3. Have long periods where Orcon's SMTP server times out (why I want to
    setup a backup)
    4. On going NNTP time outs, slow downloads, miss threaded articles,
    missing articles
    5. People saying they are going to get some one to contact me and don't
    hear from anyone.
    6. Requesting 3 times on the phone and twice by email that my credit card
    details be removed from their system (I pay by DD) only to find out that
    they never do delete that info dispite telling me they have, both over
    the phone and via email.

    Basically the wheels came off at the beginning and have never been but
    back on. I should point out that they did give me a free month for my
    trouble but on the other hand they double billed me when I changed from
    jetstart to surf for part of the month.

    Orcon has been quite a disapointment for me.

    So what do I expect from an ISP ? - just to get "internet" access with
    out any hassle not with standing the fact there might be an outage from
    time to time, just like the power and phone go out from time to time.

    I certainly couldn't recommend them based on my experience of them.
    Chris, Aug 24, 2004
  11. Starkey

    Chris Guest

    Chris <> wrote in

    > Starkey <> wrote in
    >
    >> ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    >> having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    >> what?

    > Same here, you didn't complain about the problem by any chance did you
    > ?
    >
    > I recommended them to a friend that wanted to set up 2 accounts with a
    > new ISP - 1 for business, 1 for home but they have never received the
    > DD forms that were requested, so no money has changed hands.
    >
    > From my personal experience they seem to make lots of promises (we are
    > upgrading this and that, I will have my supervisor contact you to
    > discuss this problem etc) but don't deliver - most of the time. This
    > is completely at odds with other peoples experiences reported in this
    > NG - one of my reasons for signing up in the first place.

    OK, Teranews screwed up or was it Xnews, hummmm no, it was Teranews, kept
    timing out before confirmation of posting received back
    <sic>
    maybe they have contracted the service to Orcon
    </sic>
    Chris, Aug 24, 2004
  12. Starkey

    Chris Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in

    > "Starkey" <> wrote in message
    >> ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    >> having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    >> what?

    > It took them about 4 months to finally get back to me about a job
    > position I applied for so I wouldnt surprised if getting help is about
    > the same turn-around ;) Hehe

    Well, if you got the job, I hope you don't have to wait that long to get
    paid :)
    Chris, Aug 24, 2004
  13. Starkey

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Chris said the following on 24/08/2004 23:49:
    > Collector_NZ <> wrote in

    > Well, I'm not having any problems with web pages (but did like many ppl
    > when surf first came online) but some of the problems I have had are
    > 1. Not being able to server side filter pop3 using Pegasus though I've
    > been able to with a number of other pop3 servers

    The issue here is that Orcons mail server cue is not in recieved message
    order. I know it is a problem, but compatibility for this is not a
    priority for them
    > 2. Not being able to connect to any SMTP server outside of Orcon (I have
    > managed that with some ISP's to some SMTP servers) and yes I know why
    > ISP's wouldn't want to let ppl do that

    Havnt ried that, but would expect that the block occurs (relaying
    denied) at the other persons SMTP unless you have been specifically
    authorised. I use my own SMTPserver
    > 3. Have long periods where Orcon's SMTP server times out (why I want to
    > setup a backup)

    Never expericanced it (not to say it dosnt happen) I use my own SMTP
    > 4. On going NNTP time outs, slow downloads, miss threaded articles,
    > missing articles

    The NNTP service is extremely low priority, only about 35 users toatl
    out of all Orcons customers.
    > 5. People saying they are going to get some one to contact me and don't
    > hear from anyone.

    Yeah like the cheque is in the mail :cool:
    > 6. Requesting 3 times on the phone and twice by email that my credit card
    > details be removed from their system (I pay by DD) only to find out that
    > they never do delete that info dispite telling me they have, both over
    > the phone and via email.

    Yep Accounts section stinks, which is why I pay by AP never will I give
    anyone DD or credit card debit

    > Basically the wheels came off at the beginning and have never been but
    > back on. I should point out that they did give me a free month for my
    > trouble but on the other hand they double billed me when I changed from
    > jetstart to surf for part of the month.
    >
    > Orcon has been quite a disapointment for me.
    >
    > So what do I expect from an ISP ? - just to get "internet" access with
    > out any hassle not with standing the fact there might be an outage from
    > time to time, just like the power and phone go out from time to time.
    >
    > I certainly couldn't recommend them based on my experience of them.

    I get very good service from Orcon, perhaps because I am a tech they
    know, and who is helpful to them often. I am sorry you have had a bum
    run and I will bring the subject up with them next time I am in touch.
    Collector_NZ, Aug 24, 2004
  14. Starkey

    Paul Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    >> 6. Requesting 3 times on the phone and twice by email that my credit
    >> card details be removed from their system (I pay by DD) only to find
    >> out that they never do delete that info dispite telling me they have,
    >> both over the phone and via email.

    > Yep Accounts section stinks, which is why I pay by AP never will I give
    > anyone DD or credit card debit

    Request your bank to send them a stern letter advising it is illegal to
    keep your Credit Card number without your authority.

    Ask for confirmation to be faxed/emailed to you.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 24, 2004
  15. Starkey

    Paul Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Chris said the following on 24/08/2004 23:49:
    >
    >> Collector_NZ <> wrote in

    >> Well, I'm not having any problems with web pages (but did like many
    >> ppl when surf first came online) but some of the problems I have had are
    >> 1. Not being able to server side filter pop3 using Pegasus though I've
    >> been able to with a number of other pop3 servers

    > The issue here is that Orcons mail server cue is not in recieved message
    > order. I know it is a problem, but compatibility for this is not a
    > priority for them
    >
    >> 2. Not being able to connect to any SMTP server outside of Orcon (I
    >> have managed that with some ISP's to some SMTP servers) and yes I know
    >> why ISP's wouldn't want to let ppl do that

    > Havnt ried that, but would expect that the block occurs (relaying
    > denied) at the other persons SMTP unless you have been specifically
    > authorised. I use my own SMTPserver
    >
    >> 3. Have long periods where Orcon's SMTP server times out (why I want
    >> to setup a backup)

    > Never expericanced it (not to say it dosnt happen) I use my own SMTP
    >
    >> 4. On going NNTP time outs, slow downloads, miss threaded articles,
    >> missing articles

    > The NNTP service is extremely low priority, only about 35 users toatl
    > out of all Orcons customers.
    >
    >> 5. People saying they are going to get some one to contact me and
    >> don't hear from anyone.

    > Yeah like the cheque is in the mail :cool:
    >
    >> 6. Requesting 3 times on the phone and twice by email that my credit
    >> card details be removed from their system (I pay by DD) only to find
    >> out that they never do delete that info dispite telling me they have,
    >> both over the phone and via email.

    > Yep Accounts section stinks, which is why I pay by AP never will I give
    > anyone DD or credit card debit
    >

    >> Basically the wheels came off at the beginning and have never been but
    >> back on. I should point out that they did give me a free month for my
    >> trouble but on the other hand they double billed me when I changed
    >> from jetstart to surf for part of the month.
    >>
    >> Orcon has been quite a disapointment for me.
    >>
    >> So what do I expect from an ISP ? - just to get "internet" access with
    >> out any hassle not with standing the fact there might be an outage
    >> from time to time, just like the power and phone go out from time to
    >> time.
    >>
    >> I certainly couldn't recommend them based on my experience of them.

    > I get very good service from Orcon, perhaps because I am a tech they
    > know, and who is helpful to them often. I am sorry you have had a bum
    > run and I will bring the subject up with them next time I am in touch.

    Or better still, change providers. :) If an ISP doesn't give you the
    service/satisfaction you require, ditch them. They obviously don't care
    about you.

    If enough people 'churn' then they start to take notice - well, you'd hope.

    It all comes down to the quality of staff they employ and the character
    of the management team that employ them.

    Who pays the wages and bills again? Gee, I thought it was the customer.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 24, 2004
  16. Starkey

    Mutlley Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote:

    >"Starkey" <> wrote in message
    >> ive emailed them like 3 times in the last 2 weeks about a webpage im
    >> having problems with, and still no response they all on holiday or
    >> what?

    >It took them about 4 months to finally get back to me about a job position I
    >applied for so I wouldnt surprised if getting help is about the same
    >turn-around ;) Hehe

    4 months!! . You were lucky. Most NZ companies don't even bother to
    reply..
    Mutlley, Aug 24, 2004
  17. Starkey

    Mike_P Guest

    >> 4. On going NNTP time outs, slow downloads, miss threaded articles,
    >> missing articles

    > The NNTP service is extremely low priority, only about 35 users toatl out
    > of all Orcons customers.

    This excuse really pisses me off. Orcon offer a NNTP service so they should
    provide one that works. Of course only 35 people currently use it, because
    it sucks. Seebe posted here a couple of months ago promising to fix it if
    the service was supported. Well, we're still waiting.
    Mike_P, Aug 24, 2004
  18. Starkey

    XPD Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > > It took them about 4 months to finally get back to me about a job
    > > position I applied for so I wouldnt surprised if getting help is about
    > > the same turn-around ;) Hehe
    > >

    > Well, if you got the job, I hope you don't have to wait that long to get
    > paid :)

    LOL, nah I got a position elsewhere...... even easier than an ISP helpdesk
    but for same sort of pay :)
    XPD, Aug 24, 2004
  19. Hi there

    We recently hired 5 additional support people, and as they are currently
    being trained this is putting a load on the existing team (which is already
    a bit bogged down). The new people are now coming back up to speed, and we
    should be on top of things in the next week or so. At present phone calls
    take priority, and the support email queue has blown out at times.

    Cheers
    Seeby

    MD Orcon Interent

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Aug 24, 2004
  20. XPD wrote:
    >>Well, if you got the job, I hope you don't have to wait that long to get
    >>paid :)

    > LOL, nah I got a position elsewhere...... even easier than an ISP helpdesk
    > but for same sort of pay :)

    what else do they pay peanuts for?

    --
    Dave Hall