    God I miss simple dejanews.

    Any recommendations for another usenet search site that isn't so
    blatantly committed to screwing you over ?

    no_spam, Sep 6, 2005

  2. no_spam

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:54:36 -0700, no_spam wrote:

    > Just tried to do a usenet advanced search at Google and I got four pop
    > up screens while connecting:

    Hmmm, just tried http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    and no popups. But then again using firefox with popups set off
    java/javascrip on and used google.com to set preferences for language.

    I do have 1,100+ tracking urls set to 127.0.0.2 in /etc/hosts

    Bit Twister, Sep 7, 2005

  3. no_spam

    Imhotep Guest

    no_spam <moi> wrote:

    > Just tried to do a usenet advanced search at Google and I got four pop
    > up screens while connecting:
    >
    > In and out of a secure website -- twice, with no sight of the two
    > secure websites.
    >
    > Just four "do you want to continue ?" requests one after another.
    >
    > After their wonderful cookies and toolbar, one wonders what nonsense
    > this is.
    >
    > God I miss simple dejanews.
    >
    > Any recommendations for another usenet search site that isn't so
    > blatantly committed to screwing you over ?

    What is the exact url as I have not had this problem. If you are running
    windows check for adware/crapware...

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 7, 2005
  4. no_spam

    Imhotep Guest

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:54:36 -0700, no_spam wrote:
    >>
    >> Just tried to do a usenet advanced search at Google and I got four pop
    >> up screens while connecting:

    > Hmmm, just tried http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    > and no popups. But then again using firefox with popups set off
    > java/javascrip on and used google.com to set preferences for language.
    >
    > I do have 1,100+ tracking urls set to 127.0.0.2 in /etc/hosts

    Yup I tried it too no popups. To the OP sounds like you are running Windows
    something with some adware/crapware leached on your system.

    Imhotep, Sep 7, 2005
  5. no_spam

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:54:36 -0700, no_spam <moi> wrote:

    >Just tried to do a usenet advanced search at Google and I got four pop
    >up screens while connecting:

    The only time google pops up anything is to ask for a user id
    if you are posting, so maybe you are blaming the wrong site
    - what 'incredibly useful search bar' have you installed ?
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 7, 2005
  6. no_spam

    no_spam Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:43:57 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >no_spam <moi> wrote:
    >

    >> Just tried to do a usenet advanced search at Google and I got four pop
    >> up screens while connecting:
    >>
    >> In and out of a secure website -- twice, with no sight of the two
    >> secure websites.
    >>

    >What is the exact url as I have not had this problem. If you are running
    >windows check for adware/crapware...
    >

    >Imhotep

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

    Ran it just now and no secure sites routing experienced.

    LOL. Wrong computer. Tried the other box. It's still doing it.
    Different shortcut URL:

    Funky Google URL with secure websites issue:

    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

    That's a weird one. Any idea what it's doing ?

    no_spam, Sep 7, 2005
  7. no_spam

    no_spam Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:24:18 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:54:36 -0700, no_spam <moi> wrote:
    >
    >>Just tried to do a usenet advanced search at Google and I got four pop
    >>up screens while connecting:

    >The only time google pops up anything is to ask for a user id
    >if you are posting, so maybe you are blaming the wrong site
    >- what 'incredibly useful search bar' have you installed ?

    Sorry Jim, I browsed through the newsgroup before posting and you
    appear to be the current resident troll. It appears the general
    consensus is not to feed the troll ;)

    You realize you're posting history is pretty much a neon sign don't
    you ?

    no_spam, Sep 7, 2005
  8. no_spam

    Imhotep Guest

    no_spam <moi> wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:43:57 -0400, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>no_spam <moi> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Just tried to do a usenet advanced search at Google and I got four pop
    >>> up screens while connecting:
    >>>
    >>> In and out of a secure website -- twice, with no sight of the two
    >>> secure websites.
    >>>

    >>What is the exact url as I have not had this problem. If you are running
    >>windows check for adware/crapware...
    >>

    >>Imhotep

    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
    >
    > Ran it just now and no secure sites routing experienced.
    >
    > LOL. Wrong computer. Tried the other box. It's still doing it.
    > Different shortcut URL:
    >

    > Funky Google URL with secure websites issue:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
    >

    > That's a weird one. Any idea what it's doing ?

    Hummm...I tried both urls without any problems. Let me see if I understand
    the problem. On one computer when you type the url
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en it works fine. When
    you type the same url on the other you get a bunch of popups?

    If this statement is correct check for spyware. Also check your hosts file
    to see if it has been hijacked.

    Let me know how what you find.

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 7, 2005
  9. no_spam

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:07:23 -0700, no_spam wrote:

    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
    >
    > Ran it just now and no secure sites routing experienced.
    >
    > LOL. Wrong computer. Tried the other box. It's still doing it.
    > Different shortcut URL:
    >

    > Funky Google URL with secure websites issue:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
    >

    > That's a weird one. Any idea what it's doing ?

    Neither urls has popups. Your box is infected. You proved it when you
    use the same settings on the same app and same url and on one box has
    popups and the other box does not have the popups.

    Bit Twister, Sep 7, 2005
  10. no_spam

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:09:53 -0700, no_spam <moi> wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:24:18 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:54:36 -0700, no_spam <moi> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just tried to do a usenet advanced search at Google and I got four pop
    >>>up screens while connecting:

    >>The only time google pops up anything is to ask for a user id
    >>if you are posting, so maybe you are blaming the wrong site
    >>- what 'incredibly useful search bar' have you installed ?

    >Sorry Jim, I browsed through the newsgroup before posting and you
    >appear to be the current resident troll. It appears the general
    >consensus is not to feed the troll ;)

    If you consider that to be true then please assist everyone by
    making no further replies to my postings.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 8, 2005
  11. no_spam

    Ken Ward Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:09:53 -0700, no_spam <moi> wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:24:18 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:54:36 -0700, no_spam <moi> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just tried to do a usenet advanced search at Google and I got four pop
    >>>up screens while connecting:

    >>The only time google pops up anything is to ask for a user id
    >>if you are posting, so maybe you are blaming the wrong site
    >>- what 'incredibly useful search bar' have you installed ?

    >Sorry Jim, I browsed through the newsgroup before posting and you
    >appear to be the current resident troll. It appears the general
    >consensus is not to feed the troll ;)
    >
    >You realize you're posting history is pretty much a neon sign don't
    >you ?

    Both Jim & Imhotep are running very low on the signal to noise ratio
    at the moment, but I would not call either of them trolls. Once they
    get over their idealogical differences, I expect to see them get back
    to reality & be useful posters.

    Ken Ward, Sep 8, 2005
  12. no_spam

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 01:25:33 GMT, Ken Ward <>
    wrote:

    >Both Jim & Imhotep are running very low on the signal to noise ratio
    >at the moment, but I would not call either of them trolls. Once they
    >get over their idealogical differences, I expect to see them get back
    >to reality & be useful posters.

    In tems of assessing the s/n ratio you need to amalgamate
    a few other accounts. I'm more consistent and have a reasonable
    history here going back five years without changing identity.

    Trolls need a base of naive self righteous people and
    security by its nature involves more cynical individuals.

    Anyway there is nothing 'up with google' and there is no need
    for me to change to running AIX on a Mac to use it.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 8, 2005
  13. no_spam

    no_spam Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:40:10 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >no_spam <moi> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:43:57 -0400, Imhotep <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>What is the exact url as I have not had this problem. If you are running
    >>>windows check for adware/crapware...
    >>>

    >>>Imhotep

    >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
    >>
    >> Ran it just now and no secure sites routing experienced.
    >>
    >> LOL. Wrong computer. Tried the other box. It's still doing it.
    >> Different shortcut URL:
    >>

    >> Funky Google URL with secure websites issue:
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
    >>

    >> That's a weird one. Any idea what it's doing ?

    >Hummm...I tried both urls without any problems. Let me see if I understand
    >the problem. On one computer when you type the url
    >http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en it works fine. When
    >you type the same url on the other you get a bunch of popups?

    Correction: on both computers, typing the www.google url gives the
    secure websites pop ups; typing the groups.google url does not give
    the secure websites pop ups. The desktop shortcuts were different on
    the computers, but the actions for the URLs were the same on both
    machines.

    >If this statement is correct check for spyware. Also check your hosts file
    >to see if it has been hijacked.
    >
    >Let me know how what you find.
    >
    >Imhotep

    Well I ran AVS, Stinger, ad-aware, spybot, and hijackthis. Nothing
    turned up.

    no_spam, Sep 10, 2005
  14. no_spam

    Imhotep Guest

    no_spam <moi> wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:40:10 -0400, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>no_spam <moi> wrote:

    >>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
    >>>
    >>> Ran it just now and no secure sites routing experienced.
    >>>
    >>> LOL. Wrong computer. Tried the other box. It's still doing it.
    >>> Different shortcut URL:
    >>>

    >>> Funky Google URL with secure websites issue:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
    >>>

    >>> That's a weird one. Any idea what it's doing ?

    >>Hummm...I tried both urls without any problems. Let me see if I understand
    >>the problem. On one computer when you type the url
    >>http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en it works fine. When
    >>you type the same url on the other you get a bunch of popups?
    >>

    > Correction: on both computers, typing the www.google url gives the
    > secure websites pop ups; typing the groups.google url does not give
    > the secure websites pop ups. The desktop shortcuts were different on
    > the computers, but the actions for the URLs were the same on both
    > machines.
    >

    >>If this statement is correct check for spyware. Also check your hosts file
    >>to see if it has been hijacked.
    >>
    >>Let me know how what you find.
    >>
    >>Imhotep
    >>

    > Well I ran AVS, Stinger, ad-aware, spybot, and hijackthis. Nothing
    > turned up.

    Check your host file...I have a feeling you got something :-(

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 10, 2005