    ~ , any ideas!

    --
    www.A1poolandleisure.co.uk

    Bodysnatcher, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Bodysnatcher

    Boomer Guest

    "Bodysnatcher" <> wrote in
    news:bso0d6$mkl$:

    > Hi all.
    > Have only been running win xp home for a couple of days. Found a
    > unfamiliar file in My Documents and was wondering what it is. The
    > file is 182kb called ~ , any ideas!

    It's a MS 'problem'. They know about it. It will happen every time
    you change your address book, I believe.

    Search the archives here and you will find further information on it.

    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

    Sorry, I don't, won't use IE/OE so can't help further.

    Boomer, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Bodysnatcher

    Boomer Guest

    "Bodysnatcher" <> wrote in

    > Hi all.
    > Have only been running win xp home for a couple of days. Found a
    > unfamiliar file in My Documents and was wondering what it is. The
    > file is 182kb called ~ , any ideas!

    Oop's. It may not be the address book. Have you downloaded/installed
    anything recently? Have ran all your spyware, adware programs?
    What happens if you were to delete it and reboot?

    Boomer, Dec 29, 2003
  4. Bodysnatcher

    ralph Guest

    On 12/28/03 7:35 PM, Bodysnatcher wrote:

    > Hi all.
    > Have only been running win xp home for a couple of days. Found a unfamiliar
    > file in My Documents and was wondering what it is. The file is 182kb called
    > ~ , any ideas!

    I found one like this too at the root of C: and opened it and it looks
    like entries from my address book.

    ralph, Dec 29, 2003
  5. Bodysnatcher

    ñKs Guest

    Its from the address book, there is an MS update that will cure it..

    ñKs, Dec 29, 2003
  6. Bodysnatcher

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bodysnatcher said:

    > Hi all.
    > Have only been running win xp home for a couple of days. Found a unfamiliar
    > file in My Documents and was wondering what it is. The file is 182kb called
    > ~ , any ideas!

    It's created every time you add someone to your Address Book.
    You will find them under C:\ and in OE-Quotefix's folder if you have that
    installed, you will even find it turning up on your desktop.
    If you add to your address book without deleting a previous instance of ~, it
    will place itself in another system "root" location.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 29, 2003
  7. Bodysnatcher

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ñKs said:

    > Its from the address book, there is an MS update that will cure it..

    It's an MS update that is *causing* it.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 29, 2003
  8. Bodysnatcher

    EricP Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 01:35:34 +0000 (UTC), "Bodysnatcher"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all.
    >Have only been running win xp home for a couple of days. Found a unfamiliar
    >file in My Documents and was wondering what it is. The file is 182kb called
    >~ , any ideas!

    There are two possibilities. One is the Address Book mentioned. Open
    the file and see if it contains your address book details. If it does,
    don't worry, look for the Update an dit should go away after you
    delete it.

    The other is that there is a virus that puts the same ~ in your
    machine, but usually on the desktop. I had it last year.
    Now this is a slim chance and the dodgy address book is much more
    likely.

    The virus is easily found by AV and deleted, so the rogue address book
    is even more likely. Run a good AV to make sure.

    EricP, Dec 29, 2003
  9. Bodysnatcher

    ñKs Guest

    I was being sarcastic there mate...

    ñKs, Dec 29, 2003
  10. Bodysnatcher

    Bodysnatcher Guest

    Is it ok to delete???

    Bodysnatcher, Dec 29, 2003
  11. Bodysnatcher

    Bodysnatcher Guest

    Sorry boomer didn't read the last bit.DOH

    Bodysnatcher, Dec 29, 2003
  12. Bodysnatcher

    Boomer Guest

    "Bodysnatcher" <> wrote in

    > Is it ok to delete???

    Did you do some changes with your address book?

    Probably can delete. Though I would run some spyware/adware programs
    first.

    Reboot and see what happens. Keep in the recycle bin for a week or so.

    Boomer, Dec 29, 2003
  13. Bodysnatcher

    Bodysnatcher Guest

    Thanks Eric, and everyone else.
    I've opened it with notepad and it's gobblyguk. I've run NAV and that has
    not found anything so where to now???

    Bodysnatcher, Dec 29, 2003
  14. Bodysnatcher

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:33:20 +0000 (UTC), Bodysnatcher wrote:

    >Thanks Eric, and everyone else.
    >I've opened it with notepad and it's gobblyguk. I've run NAV and that has
    >not found anything so where to now???

    http://supportdesk.iit.edu/outexp.htm
    http://filext.com/faq/idx/0/002/article/

    <snip>

    --
    There are three types of people in this world - those who see the light,
    those who don't, and those who get a brief glance of it just as I slam

    Mara, Dec 29, 2003
  15. Bodysnatcher

    Boomer Guest

    Mara <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:33:20 +0000 (UTC), Bodysnatcher wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks Eric, and everyone else.
    >>I've opened it with notepad and it's gobblyguk. I've run NAV and
    >>that has not found anything so where to now???

    > http://supportdesk.iit.edu/outexp.htm
    > http://filext.com/faq/idx/0/002/article/
    >
    > <snip>

    What made me backtrack was that it wasn't on his desktop.
    He said it appeared in 'My Documents'. So thought running the
    spyware/adware goodies would be a good idea anyway.

    Odd how it landed there, though.

    Boomer, Dec 29, 2003
  16. Bodysnatcher

    Mara Guest

    On 29 Dec 2003 03:52:09 GMT, Boomer wrote:

    >Mara <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:33:20 +0000 (UTC), Bodysnatcher wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks Eric, and everyone else.
    >>>I've opened it with notepad and it's gobblyguk. I've run NAV and
    >>>that has not found anything so where to now???

    >> http://supportdesk.iit.edu/outexp.htm
    >> http://filext.com/faq/idx/0/002/article/
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>

    >What made me backtrack was that it wasn't on his desktop.
    >He said it appeared in 'My Documents'. So thought running the
    >spyware/adware goodies would be a good idea anyway.

    That's _always_ a good idea. No system should be without them.

    >Odd how it landed there, though.

    Nothing would surprise me about Winblows. Just for a lark, I downloaded SP 4 for
    2k and installed it on my other machine, just to see what it would screw up.
    It's supposed to reboot when it's done installing if you ok it. I did, and the
    system promptly hung up. I had to hit the reset button.

    But that may be the machine. It's got a problem. It's a dual-boot, 2k/SuSE9.0,
    and neither VoptXP or the native defragger will work. It would't work even when
    I just 2k on it, too, though both work on this box. It's the first time I've
    ever seen this happen, and I haven't had time to work on it.

    "Gah."

    Mara, Dec 29, 2003
  17. Bodysnatcher

    Boomer Guest

    Mara <> wrote in

    > On 29 Dec 2003 03:52:09 GMT, Boomer wrote:
    >
    >>Mara <> wrote in

    >>> http://supportdesk.iit.edu/outexp.htm
    >>> http://filext.com/faq/idx/0/002/article/
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>

    >>What made me backtrack was that it wasn't on his desktop.
    >>He said it appeared in 'My Documents'. So thought running the
    >>spyware/adware goodies would be a good idea anyway.

    > That's _always_ a good idea. No system should be without them.
    >
    >>Odd how it landed there, though.

    > Nothing would surprise me about Winblows. Just for a lark, I
    > downloaded SP 4 for 2k and installed it on my other machine, just
    > to see what it would screw up. It's supposed to reboot when it's
    > done installing if you ok it. I did, and the system promptly hung
    > up. I had to hit the reset button.
    >
    > But that may be the machine. It's got a problem. It's a dual-boot,
    > 2k/SuSE9.0, and neither VoptXP or the native defragger will work.
    > It would't work even when I just 2k on it, too, though both work
    > on this box. It's the first time I've ever seen this happen, and I
    > haven't had time to work on it.
    >
    > "Gah."

    New, from BG, Windows Gah Edition for 2004, '05, '06 etc.! ;)

    GAH = Great Assinine Hacks

    Boomer, Dec 29, 2003
  18. Bodysnatcher

    Mara Guest

    On 29 Dec 2003 04:12:26 GMT, Boomer wrote:

    >Mara <> wrote in

    <snip>
    >New, from BG, Windows Gah Edition for 2004, '05, '06 etc.! ;)
    >
    >GAH = Great Assinine Hacks

    That would be Longhorn. :)

    "Why anyone would want Microshaft to have control over their computers is beyond
    me."

    Mara, Dec 29, 2003
  19. Bodysnatcher

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ñKs said:

    > I was being sarcastic there mate...

    ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Dec 29, 2003
  20. Bodysnatcher

    Boomer Guest

    Mara <> wrote in

    > On 29 Dec 2003 04:12:26 GMT, Boomer wrote:
    >
    >>Mara <> wrote in

    > <snip>
    >>New, from BG, Windows Gah Edition for 2004, '05, '06 etc.! ;)
    >>
    >>GAH = Great Assinine Hacks

    > That would be Longhorn. :)
    >
    > "Why anyone would want Microshaft to have control over their
    > computers is beyond me."

    Thats one BIG reason I won't do XP! Though I would to have like 2k.
    :)

    Boomer, Dec 29, 2003