    and seems to fit snuggly onto a lens mount, but I can't figure out what it
    does.

    Thanks in advance.

    greg, Aug 14, 2004

  2. greg

    ColynG© Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:48:06 GMT, "greg" <> wrote:

    >Hi folks,
    >
    >While going through some old equipment I bought off my mom years ago that
    >I'm preparing to sell, I came across this thing:
    >
    > http://66.51.108.232/images/fuji_thing.jpg
    >
    >Anyone tell me what this is? The white part on the bottom is semi-flexible
    >and seems to fit snuggly onto a lens mount, but I can't figure out what it
    >does.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    It is a lens hood.

    Colyn Goodson

    email hidden

    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    ColynG©, Aug 14, 2004

  3. greg

    greg Guest

    Hmmm, that doesn't seem to make sense. It's too small, even for the smallest
    lens in the kit. It seems to fit snuggly on the lens mount of the lens, not
    on the other end of the lens.

    greg, Aug 14, 2004
  4. greg

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "greg" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > While going through some old equipment I bought off my mom years

    ago that
    > I'm preparing to sell, I came across this thing:
    >
    > http://66.51.108.232/images/fuji_thing.jpg
    >
    > Anyone tell me what this is? The white part on the bottom is

    semi-flexible
    > and seems to fit snuggly onto a lens mount, but I can't figure out

    what it
    > does.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Hmmm.

    Lens shade (though a little short for that)?

    Filter holder?

    Holder for an auxilliary lens?

    Alan Meyer, Aug 14, 2004
  5. greg

    ColynG© Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:22:55 GMT, "greg" <> wrote:

    >Hmmm, that doesn't seem to make sense. It's too small, even for the smallest
    >lens in the kit. It seems to fit snuggly on the lens mount of the lens, not
    >on the other end of the lens.

    What is the inside diameter? It may be for a lens with a smaller front
    diameter such as a rangefinder lens.

    Most 35mm RF cameras have a smaller lens than SLR's..

    Colyn Goodson

    email hidden

    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    ColynG©, Aug 14, 2004
  6. greg

    Magnus W Guest

    "greg" <> wrote in news:W%tTc.106276$gE.100305@pd7tw3no:

    > Anyone tell me what this is? The white part on the bottom is
    > semi-flexible and seems to fit snuggly onto a lens mount, but I can't
    > figure out what it does.

    Fit it on a lens mount and you just constructed a wonderful loupe :)

    Magnus W, Aug 14, 2004
  7. greg

    Pepys Guest

    "greg" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > While going through some old equipment I bought off my mom years ago that
    > I'm preparing to sell, I came across this thing:
    >
    > http://66.51.108.232/images/fuji_thing.jpg
    >
    > Anyone tell me what this is? The white part on the bottom is semi-flexible
    > and seems to fit snuggly onto a lens mount, but I can't figure out what it
    > does.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Hi Greg

    I had a similar thingie many years ago (whick took some sourcing I can tell
    you). It was used when taking photos through glass windows etc., like from
    aircraft windows where glare back from the internal lighting frequently
    buggers up your images.

    It was designed to be placed firmly on the glass window blocking all
    extraneous refracted light from the window so the camera lens only saw what
    was outside.

    Sam

    Pepys, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Could it be some sort of extension for a lens. I recall things like
    that...but its been many years since I have seen one.
    The one I recall had some glass I think...but maybe some do not.
    Something like that might double a 50mm to a 100mm.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 14, 2004
  9. The problem is that it fits on the camera if I understand correctly...not on
    the lens. So your idea doesn't work...but a good idea. My idea of a lens
    extension doesn't work if there aren't mounting hardware on both ends. I
    have to wonder if he is wrong about where it goes....it could be lots of
    things to go on the outside end of a lens....but nothing that I know of goes
    on the camera to replace the lens.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 15, 2004
  10. "Pepys" <[removethis]> wrote in message

    > "greg" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > While going through some old equipment I bought off my mom years ago

    that
    > > I'm preparing to sell, I came across this thing:
    > >
    > > http://66.51.108.232/images/fuji_thing.jpg
    > >
    > > Anyone tell me what this is? The white part on the bottom is

    semi-flexible
    > > and seems to fit snuggly onto a lens mount, but I can't figure out what

    it
    > > does.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >

    > Hi Greg
    >
    > I had a similar thingie many years ago (whick took some sourcing I can

    tell
    > you). It was used when taking photos through glass windows etc., like from
    > aircraft windows where glare back from the internal lighting frequently
    > buggers up your images.
    >
    > It was designed to be placed firmly on the glass window blocking all
    > extraneous refracted light from the window so the camera lens only saw

    what
    > was outside.
    >
    > Sam

    I have this problem when taking pictures of fish in the tanks at the
    aquarium.....I use a rubber lens shade which allows the lens to fit snugly
    against the glass and still auto focus.....

    William Graham, Aug 15, 2004
  11. On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:48:06 GMT, "greg" <> wrote:

    >Hi folks,
    >
    >While going through some old equipment I bought off my mom years ago that
    >I'm preparing to sell, I came across this thing:
    >
    > http://66.51.108.232/images/fuji_thing.jpg
    >
    >Anyone tell me what this is? The white part on the bottom is semi-flexible
    >and seems to fit snuggly onto a lens mount, but I can't figure out what it
    >does.

    You say it fits on the camera. Will the lens then fit into or on it?
    If so them it's probably a close up adapter. They used to make them
    that were nothing more than a spacing ring to move the lens out a bit.
    Then again it may be part of something else.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Aug 15, 2004