What's this & these progs?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by gary, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. gary

    gary Guest

    Hi,
    Occasionally when i turn on the pc from shutdown, when the esktop
    appears, i get a rectangle box saying: MSPER ERROR or LEXPRO ERROR & the
    programme has performed an illegal operation & will shut down. What's this?

    Also, i have Zone Alarm & when accessing certain websites, i get Zone alarm
    poping up & reminding me if i want certain things to access the internet. I
    know ' windows media player ' obviously, but whats these:-
    MBM8HELP.V.EXE
    Q3567836.EXE
    WAOL.EXE
    WINRAR.EXE
    HOL63628888.EXE
    LOADER APPLICATION.EXE

    I don't know wether i should allow them access or not, they are stored in
    Zone Alarms programmes, should i deny them. Help.
    Thanks
    Gary

    gary, Feb 24, 2004

  2. gary

    Trent C Guest

    Go to www.google.com and type in each program to get an answer.

    Trent C, Feb 24, 2004

  3. gary

    trout Guest

    gary wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Occasionally when i turn on the pc from shutdown, when the esktop
    > appears, i get a rectangle box saying: MSPER ERROR or LEXPRO ERROR &
    > the programme has performed an illegal operation & will shut down.
    > What's this?
    >
    > Also, i have Zone Alarm & when accessing certain websites, i get Zone
    > alarm poping up & reminding me if i want certain things to access the
    > internet. I know ' windows media player ' obviously, but whats these:-
    > MBM8HELP.V.EXE
    > Q3567836.EXE
    > WAOL.EXE
    > WINRAR.EXE
    > HOL63628888.EXE
    > LOADER APPLICATION.EXE
    >
    > I don't know wether i should allow them access or not, they are
    > stored in Zone Alarms programmes, should i deny them. Help.
    > Thanks
    > Gary

    I'm not familiar with (or feel like looking up) all those programs,
    but if you don't do regular scans for spy/adware; you should. Use both
    of these free programs, and keep them updated:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    <http://security.kolla.de/>

    Ad-Aware
    <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/>

    I assume that you regularly use an anti-virus of some sort, as well.
    It's sometimes a good idea to double-check with an on-line scan, such
    as:
    <http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp>
    --
    "The 'loader' application sounds particularly suspicious."

    trout, Feb 24, 2004
  4. gary

    °Mike° Guest

    Download, update and use *all* of the following,
    particularly CWShredder, in your case:

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
    http://www.zerosrealm.com/downloads/CWShredder.zip

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

    Spyware Blaster

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:01:40 -0000, in
    <c1flia$b3$>
    gary scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004
  5. gary

    gary Guest

    Thanks, i run adaware regularly, but that tends to erase cookies & isn't the
    cwshredder for the coolwebsearch trojan viruses?

    gary, Feb 24, 2004
  6. gary

    °Mike° Guest

    What part of "use *all* of the following" don't
    you understand? Each program has it's own
    method of detection and removal. One will
    detect what the other may not. In the case
    of SpywareBlaster, it doesn't remove, it prevents
    known malware from being installed in the first
    place. And no, CWShredder is NOT for viruses
    and trojans, it is specifically created to remove
    the tenacious CoolWebSearch hijacker only.
    The files you mention look like CoolWebSearch
    variants.

    <Rant>
    Either do it, or don't. I'm getting tired of having
    to repeat myself, because people can't be bothered
    to read advice, or links.
    </rant>

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:15:00 -0000, in
    <c1glvt$v5$>
    gary scrawled:

    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004
  7. gary

    gary Guest

    Ye, i RUN ALL & they are still there. cwshredder & hijack this say all's
    clear, as does AGV.

    gary, Feb 25, 2004
  8. gary

    gary Guest

    Again, is the spybot, search & destroy similar to AVG which i have, i update
    regularly.Should i use all my harddrive space up with anti virus software?,
    i'm probably showing my inexperience here, but everyone is an expert in
    their own field & this isn't mine!

    gary, Feb 25, 2004
  9. gary

    Brian H¹© Guest

    gary said:

    > Again, is the spybot, search & destroy similar to AVG which i have, i update
    > regularly.Should i use all my harddrive space up with anti virus software?,
    > i'm probably showing my inexperience here, but everyone is an expert in
    > their own field & this isn't mine!

    AVG is anti-virus, spyware killers are not anti-virus.

    Brian H¹©, Feb 25, 2004
  10. gary

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:50:51 -0000, "gary"
    <> wrote:

    >Ye, i RUN ALL & they are still there. cwshredder & hijack this say all's
    >clear, as does AGV.

    Did you download and run AdAware, SpyBot, and Spyware Blaster as well?
    Then you're clear. (Well, that is, if you trust AVG. Frankly, I'd
    get a better anti-virus program, or at least visit something like
    housecall.antivirus.com to scan my computer.)

    If you want to know what those programs are, the first reply in this
    thread (from Trent C) has already told you how to find out. Go to
    www.google.com and do a search on each filename.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 25, 2004
  11. gary

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Dan Shea said:

    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:50:51 -0000, "gary"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ye, i RUN ALL & they are still there. cwshredder & hijack this say all's
    >> clear, as does AGV.

    > Did you download and run AdAware, SpyBot, and Spyware Blaster as well?
    > Then you're clear. (Well, that is, if you trust AVG. Frankly, I'd
    > get a better anti-virus program, or at least visit something like
    > housecall.antivirus.com to scan my computer.)

    Why are you still comparing anti-virus programs to spyware/adware killers?

    Brian H¹©, Feb 25, 2004
  12. gary

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:41:37 -0000, "Brian H¹©"
    <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >Dan Shea said:
    >
    >> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:50:51 -0000, "gary"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ye, i RUN ALL & they are still there. cwshredder & hijack this say all's
    >>> clear, as does AGV.

    >> Did you download and run AdAware, SpyBot, and Spyware Blaster as well?
    >> Then you're clear. (Well, that is, if you trust AVG. Frankly, I'd
    >> get a better anti-virus program, or at least visit something like
    >> housecall.antivirus.com to scan my computer.)

    >Why are you still comparing anti-virus programs to spyware/adware killers?

    I'm not.

    For one, I'm not the original poster, so I can't be "still" doing
    anything. But don't feel bad, you're not the first person to have
    made that mistake today. :)

    For two, there's nothing wrong with "comparing" them; sure, they're
    apples and oranges, but *comparing* the two is different from
    *equating* the two. And I didn't equate them.

    For three, one may talk of antivirus programs and spyware/adware
    killers in the same paragraph without confusing the two. I did not,
    nor have I ever, confused antivirus programs with spyware/adware
    killers. (Well, at least not in the last 5 years. :)

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 25, 2004
  13. gary

    trout Guest

    gary wrote:

    > Again, is the spybot, search & destroy similar to AVG which i have, i
    > update regularly.Should i use all my harddrive space up with anti
    > virus software?, i'm probably showing my inexperience here, but
    > everyone is an expert in their own field & this isn't mine!

    As mentioned by others, spy/adware and trojans are not the same as
    viruses, and different methods and programs should be used to scan for
    each.
    I don't have a lot of memomy on this old computer (keep putting-off
    upgrades until I have to), but I've no problem running Spybot S&D,
    Adaware, and SpywareBlaster (as well as a couple of others), and AVG.
    The reason that I recommended the on-line virus scan as a back-up,
    is that the parts required to run it take up very little space.
    The relatively-small time and resources that maintaining several of
    these programs take is, in my opinion, *well* worth it, in potential
    time fixing problems, and corrupted data. In fact, people have
    rooted-out all the spyware in some infected machines (that was 'clean'
    of *viruses*), and actually gained hard drive space.
    I strongly suggest that you at least try these programs out. Once
    you use a program like Spybot S&D's "immunize" feature, set to 'prompt',
    and see how often it blocks a surreptitious attempt to add something to
    your browser; you may not wish to be without such protection.

    > trout <> wrote in message
    >> gary wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Occasionally when i turn on the pc from shutdown, when the
    >>> esktop appears, i get a rectangle box saying: MSPER ERROR or LEXPRO
    >>> ERROR & the programme has performed an illegal operation & will
    >>> shut down. What's this?
    >>>
    >>> Also, i have Zone Alarm & when accessing certain websites, i get
    >>> Zone alarm poping up & reminding me if i want certain things to
    >>> access the internet. I know ' windows media player ' obviously, but
    >>> whats these:- MBM8HELP.V.EXE
    >>> Q3567836.EXE
    >>> WAOL.EXE
    >>> WINRAR.EXE

    trout, Feb 26, 2004
  14. gary

    Penna Elabi Guest

    "gary" <> wrote in message news:<c1flia$b3$>...

    > Occasionally when i turn on the pc from shutdown, when the esktop
    > appears, i get a rectangle box saying: MSPER ERROR or LEXPRO ERROR & the
    > programme has performed an illegal operation & will shut down. What's this?
    >
    > Also, i have Zone Alarm & when accessing certain websites, i get Zone alarm
    > poping up & reminding me if i want certain things to access the internet. I
    > know ' windows media player ' obviously, but whats these:-
    > MBM8HELP.V.EXE
    > Q3567836.EXE
    > WAOL.EXE
    > WINRAR.EXE
    > HOL63628888.EXE
    > LOADER APPLICATION.EXE

    You have probably inadvertently downloaded and installed adware,
    spyware, parasite, trojan or a browser hijacker from some web site:

    http://www.geocities.com/googlepubsupgenfaq/#redirectedspyware

    Penna Elabi, Feb 27, 2004