    that I can look into acquiring the needed hardware.

    TIA,
    Crash

    Crash, Dec 9, 2005

  2. Crash

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:43:16 +1300, Crash wrote:

    > Greetings and salutations,
    >
    > At work I have seen that it it possible to set up a single keyboard, mouse and
    > monitor so they can be switched between multiple rack-mounted servers. This is
    > done by using a device to which everything is connected.
    >
    > What is this device called? Are there models available cheap enough for use at
    > home?
    >
    > I currently have two PCs but have acquired a third older box that has a
    > reasonably big hard drive. I want to set this box up as a backup device to the
    > two other PC. I don't have a monitor for it - hence the need outlined above so
    > that I can look into acquiring the needed hardware.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Crash

    KVM Box
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/HardwareCategory.aspx?catname=KVMs

    --
    There *__is* no such thing as a civil engineer.

    Shane, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:43:16 +1300, Crash wrote:
    >>
    >>At work I have seen that it it possible to set up a single keyboard, mouse and
    >>monitor so they can be switched between multiple rack-mounted servers. This is
    >>done by using a device to which everything is connected.
    >>
    >>What is this device called? Are there models available cheap enough for use at
    >>home?

    [snip]

    > KVM Box
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/HardwareCategory.aspx?catname=KVMs

    Many thanks.

    Crash.

    Crash, Dec 9, 2005
  4. Crash

    Enkidu Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:43:16 +1300, Crash wrote:
    >>
    >>> At work I have seen that it it possible to set up a single keyboard,
    >>> mouse and monitor so they can be switched between multiple
    >>> rack-mounted servers. This is done by using a device to which
    >>> everything is connected.
    >>>
    >>> What is this device called? Are there models available cheap enough
    >>> for use at home?

    > [snip]
    >
    >> KVM Box
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/HardwareCategory.aspx?catname=KVMs

    If you don't want to buy hardware, you could use VNC to access the
    headless box. Just run the server part on the box and client part on
    another box.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 9, 2005
  5. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Crash wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> KVM Box
    >>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/HardwareCategory.aspx?catname=KVMs

    > If you don't want to buy hardware, you could use VNC to access the
    > headless box. Just run the server part on the box and client part on
    > another box.

    Thanks. I had not thought of that because vnc can only be used if the server is
    up and running on the network. However not being up on the network is rarity so
    I could physically connect keyboard, monitor and mouse in these circumstances.

    I take it you are suggesting VNC from www.realvnc.com? I will try the free version.

    Crash.

    Crash, Dec 10, 2005
  6. Crash

    Mark C Guest

    Crash <> wrote in

    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> Crash wrote:

    >>> [snip]

    >> If you don't want to buy hardware, you could use VNC to access
    >> the headless box. Just run the server part on the box and
    >> client part on another box.

    > Thanks. I had not thought of that because vnc can only be used
    > if the server is up and running on the network. However not
    > being up on the network is rarity so I could physically connect
    > keyboard, monitor and mouse in these circumstances.
    >
    > I take it you are suggesting VNC from www.realvnc.com? I will
    > try the free version.

    UltraVNC may be slightly better.
    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    Mark C, Dec 10, 2005
  7. Crash

    David Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > Crash <> wrote in

    >>>If you don't want to buy hardware, you could use VNC to access
    >>>the headless box. Just run the server part on the box and
    >>>client part on another box.

    >>Thanks. I had not thought of that because vnc can only be used
    >>if the server is up and running on the network. However not
    >>being up on the network is rarity so I could physically connect
    >>keyboard, monitor and mouse in these circumstances.
    >>
    >>I take it you are suggesting VNC from www.realvnc.com? I will
    >>try the free version.

    > UltraVNC may be slightly better.
    > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    If its running windows (not xp home edition) You will probably find the
    built-in 'remote desktop' even better again.

    David, Dec 10, 2005