Whats this all about???

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Peter F, Jun 14, 2009.

  1. Peter F

    Peter F Guest

    Hi All,

    I have just repaired my mates machine which had a virus. The virus has been
    removed with AV software and i have also installed Malware, Spybot, CCleaner
    run these apps and deleted the problems.

    The problem we now have is that we cannot connect to the internet. He has a
    router and a wireless dongle attached to a USB port on the computer. It picks
    up the connection but when i open a browser it comes up with an error unable
    to connect to the internet.

    Upon inspection I noticed that there were 2 X from the PC to router and
    router to Internet. I managed to get connection from the PC to router, but
    when i went to ping it came back request timed out.

    I physically put in an IP address, subnet mask, DNS server rebooted the
    machine - it connected to the wireless network but still showed the X errors.

    Can anyone help?

    Cheers.

    --
    Flinty
    Peter F, Jun 14, 2009

  2. Peter F wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have just repaired my mates machine which had a virus. The virus has been
    > removed with AV software and i have also installed Malware, Spybot, CCleaner
    > run these apps and deleted the problems.
    >
    > The problem we now have is that we cannot connect to the internet. He has a
    > router and a wireless dongle attached to a USB port on the computer. It picks
    > up the connection but when i open a browser it comes up with an error unable
    > to connect to the internet.
    >
    > Upon inspection I noticed that there were 2 X from the PC to router and
    > router to Internet. I managed to get connection from the PC to router, but
    > when i went to ping it came back request timed out.
    >
    > I physically put in an IP address, subnet mask, DNS server rebooted the
    > machine - it connected to the wireless network but still showed the X errors.
    >

    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Can you ping localhost?

    Set the machine to use DHCP. Run ipconfig to see what IP address you're
    being assigned and what the default gateway is. Can you ping the
    default gateway (normally the router)?

    Can you open the web config page on the router? (try putting
    http://[default gateway IP address] in a browser). Can you see what the
    service provider's DNS servers are? Can you ping them?

    One possibility is that the virus damaged the "Winsock" stuctures.
    Depending on your version of windows, you can download repair tools.

    HTH

    Phil, London
    Philip Herlihy, Jun 14, 2009

  3. Peter F

    Dave Guest

    "Peter F" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have just repaired my mates machine which had a virus. The virus has
    > been
    > removed with AV software and i have also installed Malware, Spybot,
    > CCleaner
    > run these apps and deleted the problems.
    >
    > The problem we now have is that we cannot connect to the internet. He has
    > router and a wireless dongle attached to a USB port on the computer. It
    > picks
    > up the connection but when i open a browser it comes up with an error
    > unable
    > to connect to the internet.
    >
    > Upon inspection I noticed that there were 2 X from the PC to router and
    > router to Internet. I managed to get connection from the PC to router, but
    > when i went to ping it came back request timed out.
    >
    > I physically put in an IP address, subnet mask, DNS server rebooted the
    > machine - it connected to the wireless network but still showed the X
    > errors.
    >

    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >

    > --
    > Flinty

    all that software has obviously become sentient and decided the only way to
    keep the machine safe in the future is to never reconnect with the internet
    again.
    Dave, Jun 14, 2009
  4. Peter F

    Lem Guest

    Peter F wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have just repaired my mates machine which had a virus. The virus has been
    > removed with AV software and i have also installed Malware, Spybot, CCleaner
    > run these apps and deleted the problems.
    >
    > The problem we now have is that we cannot connect to the internet. He has a
    > router and a wireless dongle attached to a USB port on the computer. It picks
    > up the connection but when i open a browser it comes up with an error unable
    > to connect to the internet.
    >
    > Upon inspection I noticed that there were 2 X from the PC to router and
    > router to Internet. I managed to get connection from the PC to router, but
    > when i went to ping it came back request timed out.
    >
    > I physically put in an IP address, subnet mask, DNS server rebooted the
    > machine - it connected to the wireless network but still showed the X errors.
    >

    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Cheers.

    See Philip Herlihy's last sentence and identify what version of Windows,
    including service pack, is on the damaged computer.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jun 14, 2009
  5. Hi
    Make sure that there is a Valid Network card in the Device Manger and then
    follow this process.
    http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jun 14, 2009
  6. Peter F

    kermit Guest

    The OP doesn't say, but perhaps he uses IE8. The ancient link provided
    below discusses IE6 and IE7.

    kermit, Jun 24, 2009