    Everyone is using TCP/IP, and it is comprised of XP Pro clients (2), NT
    Workstation client (file, print) and a laptop (W2K pro)

    Is there a special hitch I should know about XP Pro on a Work group?

    Allan, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Allan

    °Mike° Guest

    Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:51:58 GMT, in
    <i4rtb.395955$6C4.196844@pd7tw1no>
    Allan scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 15, 2003

  3. Allan

    Ed Peluffo Guest

    Are u using the same Workgroup name as the other machines?

    Is the IP address on the same range as the others?

    Is the subnet the same as the others?

    Can the other computers see the new XP machine?

    How are the computers connected, Hub / Switch / Router?

    Is the Network Cable a straight thru cable?

    Does the network card work properly?

    Give more details please....

    Ed Peluffo, Nov 15, 2003
  4. Allan

    nemo Guest

    Allan,

    How are ip addresses allocated are the fixed or do you have a dhcp
    server?

    Have you tried doing a ipconfig /all and checking the setup?

    Can you ping other PC's?

    Can other PC ping the new XP machine (have you turned off the in built
    firewall?)?

    Do all machines have the same workgroup name?

    Have you set up users and passwords for all machines on all
    machines,i.e there should be 4 users on each machine?

    Regards

    nemo

    nemo, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Thanks: Answers below in UPPERCASE:
    "Ed Peluffo" <> wrote in message

    > Are u using the same Workgroup name as the other machines?

    YES
    > Is the IP address on the same range as the others?

    YES
    > Is the subnet the same as the others?

    YES
    > Can the other computers see the new XP machine?

    NO
    > How are the computers connected, Hub / Switch / Router?

    ADSL ROUTER
    > Is the Network Cable a straight thru cable?

    YES
    > Does the network card work properly?

    I CAN SURF, BUT CANNOT SEE LOCAL NETWORK

    Allan, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Allan

    Ed Peluffo Guest

    The XP Firewall is probably enabled, Go to Local Area Connection Properties
    / Advanced and disable the firewall. Also make sure that the usernames that
    the other machines use to logon locally exist on the XP machine, for
    example: if PC1 uses USER1, PC2 uses USER2, etc. then XP must have a USER1,
    USER2, etc cofigured thru Users and Passwords.

    Ed Peluffo, Nov 15, 2003
  7. Allan

    SgtSilicon Guest

    Is file and print sharing enabled on the coonnection properties for
    the NIC?

    <> wrote:

    >I have connected one XP Pro client to a workgroup without a hitch...
    >
    >Now I install another XP Pro client, and it cannot "see" other computers on
    >the network - no matter what I have tried. I am sure to get RTFM from
    >someone, but I have tried everything I know.
    >
    >Everyone is using TCP/IP, and it is comprised of XP Pro clients (2), NT
    >Workstation client (file, print) and a laptop (W2K pro)
    >
    >Is there a special hitch I should know about XP Pro on a Work group?

    ** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and
    including the underscore in my email reply header.

    SgtSilicon, Nov 15, 2003
  8. Allan

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote:

    >I have connected one XP Pro client to a workgroup without a hitch...
    >
    >Now I install another XP Pro client, and it cannot "see" other computers on
    >the network - no matter what I have tried. I am sure to get RTFM from
    >someone, but I have tried everything I know.
    >
    >Everyone is using TCP/IP, and it is comprised of XP Pro clients (2), NT
    >Workstation client (file, print) and a laptop (W2K pro)
    >
    >Is there a special hitch I should know about XP Pro on a Work group?

    Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network by MVP Steve Winograd:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 16, 2003
  9. Allan

    Rosco Guest

    Are you sure the ICF (internet connection firewall) isnt enabled. If so
    it will prevent the other computers in the workgroup from appearing. Go
    to network connections right click on the connection that you are using,
    Go to properties go to the advanced tab and make sure that the Internet
    Connection Firewall is disabled.
    Ron Martell <> wrote in

    Rosco, Nov 16, 2003
  10. Allan

    rifleman Guest

    "Rosco" <> wrote in message
    > Are you sure the ICF (internet connection firewall) isnt enabled. If so
    > it will prevent the other computers in the workgroup from appearing.

    Rubbish! I run the XP ICF and can still see other machines in the workgroup.

    rifleman, Nov 16, 2003