What's the purpose of Download Manager in FF

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by charleswalters@no-email.com, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. Guest

    What's the purpose of Download Manager in Firefox?

    I am running FF version 1.0. I am trying to download a 32 meg file,
    and have a slow dialup connection. That means the donwload will take
    about 2 hours and 20 min, and that's only if I dont load any other
    webpages or get email which slows the file transfer down. However,
    for some reason my ISP cuts me off after a few hours of inactivity,
    and for some reason a download does not seem to be recognised as
    activity. Therefore, I have to keep doing other stuff online during a
    download to prevent my ISP from disconnecting. (I am downloading
    right now, so I am reading newsgroup to keep things active).

    Anyhow, I just searched the Mozilla Website for an answer to this and
    found nothing. *Just a comment, but they really need to improve their
    help files on there, for example, they tell us how to make FF look
    like Opera....... Like, who gives a rats ass about that.....

    Anyhow, I tried to download that file last night while I was asleep,
    and got about 90% of it downloaded before I got booted off the
    internet. Thats most irritating to find I only had about 3 megs to
    go...

    The actual question.
    How does one "continue" the download?
    Or is this not possible?
    I reconnected to the web, clicked the PAUSE button on that download,
    then clicked the RESUME button. Nothing happened....
    I did this several times, but could not get the download to resume.
    (I noticed the file in my download folder with the .part extension).

    So, what is the trick to get a download to continue? Is this posible,
    or do I need some additional software? If I do, ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT
    TO GET?

    I thought the purpose of that FF download manager was to be able to
    resume a stopped download, but there seems to be no way to do it.

    I have played with this in the past as a test, but starting a small
    download -> disconnecting from the net -> Reconnecting -> Trying to
    resume. It dont seem to work, or else I am missing some trick....

    Please help

    Thanks in advance for all advice

    Charlie

    , Mar 21, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > What's the purpose of Download Manager in Firefox?
    >
    > I am running FF version 1.0. I am trying to download a 32 meg file,
    > and have a slow dialup connection. That means the donwload will take
    > about 2 hours and 20 min, and that's only if I dont load any other
    > webpages or get email which slows the file transfer down. However,
    > for some reason my ISP cuts me off after a few hours of inactivity,
    > and for some reason a download does not seem to be recognised as
    > activity. Therefore, I have to keep doing other stuff online during a
    > download to prevent my ISP from disconnecting. (I am downloading
    > right now, so I am reading newsgroup to keep things active).
    >
    > Anyhow, I just searched the Mozilla Website for an answer to this and
    > found nothing. *Just a comment, but they really need to improve their
    > help files on there, for example, they tell us how to make FF look
    > like Opera....... Like, who gives a rats ass about that.....
    >
    > Anyhow, I tried to download that file last night while I was asleep,
    > and got about 90% of it downloaded before I got booted off the
    > internet. Thats most irritating to find I only had about 3 megs to
    > go...
    >
    > The actual question.
    > How does one "continue" the download?
    > Or is this not possible?
    > I reconnected to the web, clicked the PAUSE button on that download,
    > then clicked the RESUME button. Nothing happened....
    > I did this several times, but could not get the download to resume.
    > (I noticed the file in my download folder with the .part extension).
    >
    > So, what is the trick to get a download to continue? Is this posible,
    > or do I need some additional software? If I do, ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT
    > TO GET?
    >
    > I thought the purpose of that FF download manager was to be able to
    > resume a stopped download, but there seems to be no way to do it.
    >
    > I have played with this in the past as a test, but starting a small
    > download -> disconnecting from the net -> Reconnecting -> Trying to
    > resume. It dont seem to work, or else I am missing some trick....
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all advice
    >
    > Charlie

    Try Download Express (free version) from

    http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Detail.asp?id=18

    It says there's a plugin for Firefox as well. I dunno about that - I use
    Moz Suite. But the apps a good 'un.

    --
    Regards

    Nigel Stapley

    www.judgemental.plus.com

    <reply-to will bounce>

    Nigel Stapley, Mar 21, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > What's the purpose of Download Manager in Firefox?
    >
    > I am running FF version 1.0. I am trying to download a 32 meg file,
    > and have a slow dialup connection. That means the donwload will take
    > about 2 hours and 20 min, and that's only if I dont load any other
    > webpages or get email which slows the file transfer down. However,
    > for some reason my ISP cuts me off after a few hours of inactivity,
    > and for some reason a download does not seem to be recognised as
    > activity. Therefore, I have to keep doing other stuff online during a
    > download to prevent my ISP from disconnecting. (I am downloading
    > right now, so I am reading newsgroup to keep things active).
    >
    > Anyhow, I just searched the Mozilla Website for an answer to this and
    > found nothing. *Just a comment, but they really need to improve their
    > help files on there, for example, they tell us how to make FF look
    > like Opera....... Like, who gives a rats ass about that.....
    >
    > Anyhow, I tried to download that file last night while I was asleep,
    > and got about 90% of it downloaded before I got booted off the
    > internet. Thats most irritating to find I only had about 3 megs to
    > go...
    >
    > The actual question.
    > How does one "continue" the download?
    > Or is this not possible?
    > I reconnected to the web, clicked the PAUSE button on that download,
    > then clicked the RESUME button. Nothing happened....
    > I did this several times, but could not get the download to resume.
    > (I noticed the file in my download folder with the .part extension).
    >
    > So, what is the trick to get a download to continue? Is this posible,
    > or do I need some additional software? If I do, ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT
    > TO GET?
    >
    > I thought the purpose of that FF download manager was to be able to
    > resume a stopped download, but there seems to be no way to do it.
    >
    > I have played with this in the past as a test, but starting a small
    > download -> disconnecting from the net -> Reconnecting -> Trying to
    > resume. It dont seem to work, or else I am missing some trick....
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all advice
    >
    > Charlie

    Unfortunately, downloads are not recognized as internet activity. Most
    dialup ISP's do disconnect you if no activity is detected for a set
    amount on time.

    Check with your ISP as to exactly how long that time is. Then set you
    email client so that it will check for mail on a set schedule, shorter
    then the disconnect time. The client dies not have to actually download
    the mail, just check the server. This will be detected as internet
    activity, and should allow you to have an unmonitored download without
    disconnection.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 21, 2005
  4. jmcd Guest

    said the following on 3/21/05 4:53 PM:
    > What's the purpose of Download Manager in Firefox?
    >
    > I am running FF version 1.0. I am trying to download a 32 meg file,
    > and have a slow dialup connection. That means the donwload will take
    > about 2 hours and 20 min, and that's only if I dont load any other
    > webpages or get email which slows the file transfer down. However,
    > for some reason my ISP cuts me off after a few hours of inactivity,
    > and for some reason a download does not seem to be recognised as
    > activity. Therefore, I have to keep doing other stuff online during a
    > download to prevent my ISP from disconnecting. (I am downloading
    > right now, so I am reading newsgroup to keep things active).
    >
    > Anyhow, I just searched the Mozilla Website for an answer to this and
    > found nothing. *Just a comment, but they really need to improve their
    > help files on there, for example, they tell us how to make FF look
    > like Opera....... Like, who gives a rats ass about that.....
    >
    > Anyhow, I tried to download that file last night while I was asleep,
    > and got about 90% of it downloaded before I got booted off the
    > internet. Thats most irritating to find I only had about 3 megs to
    > go...
    >
    > The actual question.
    > How does one "continue" the download?
    > Or is this not possible?
    > I reconnected to the web, clicked the PAUSE button on that download,
    > then clicked the RESUME button. Nothing happened....
    > I did this several times, but could not get the download to resume.
    > (I noticed the file in my download folder with the .part extension).
    >
    > So, what is the trick to get a download to continue? Is this posible,
    > or do I need some additional software? If I do, ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT
    > TO GET?
    >
    > I thought the purpose of that FF download manager was to be able to
    > resume a stopped download, but there seems to be no way to do it.
    >
    > I have played with this in the past as a test, but starting a small
    > download -> disconnecting from the net -> Reconnecting -> Trying to
    > resume. It dont seem to work, or else I am missing some trick....
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all advice
    >
    > Charlie

    Ditch the dialup and join the 21st century.

    jmcd, Mar 22, 2005
  5. On 3/22/2005 9:53 AM, jmcd said:

    > Ditch the dialup and join the 21st century.

    Great, really helpful. Some people just can't. In the UK, for example,
    some rural areas still haven't hit their "trigger level" of potential
    subscribers for phone exchange DSL conversion, and cable companies won't
    bother with the village. Do you advocate these people moving home, perhaps?

    David H

    David Harrison, Mar 22, 2005
  6. Justin Guest

    jmcd wrote on [Tue, 22 Mar 2005 04:53:58 -0500]:
    > said the following on 3/21/05 4:53 PM:
    >> What's the purpose of Download Manager in Firefox?
    >>
    >> I am running FF version 1.0. I am trying to download a 32 meg file,
    >> and have a slow dialup connection. That means the donwload will take
    >> about 2 hours and 20 min, and that's only if I dont load any other
    >> webpages or get email which slows the file transfer down. However,
    >> for some reason my ISP cuts me off after a few hours of inactivity,
    >> and for some reason a download does not seem to be recognised as
    >> activity. Therefore, I have to keep doing other stuff online during a
    >> download to prevent my ISP from disconnecting. (I am downloading
    >> right now, so I am reading newsgroup to keep things active).
    >>
    >> Anyhow, I just searched the Mozilla Website for an answer to this and
    >> found nothing. *Just a comment, but they really need to improve their
    >> help files on there, for example, they tell us how to make FF look
    >> like Opera....... Like, who gives a rats ass about that.....
    >>
    >> Anyhow, I tried to download that file last night while I was asleep,
    >> and got about 90% of it downloaded before I got booted off the
    >> internet. Thats most irritating to find I only had about 3 megs to
    >> go...
    >>
    >> The actual question.
    >> How does one "continue" the download?
    >> Or is this not possible?
    >> I reconnected to the web, clicked the PAUSE button on that download,
    >> then clicked the RESUME button. Nothing happened....
    >> I did this several times, but could not get the download to resume.
    >> (I noticed the file in my download folder with the .part extension).
    >>
    >> So, what is the trick to get a download to continue? Is this posible,
    >> or do I need some additional software? If I do, ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT
    >> TO GET?
    >>
    >> I thought the purpose of that FF download manager was to be able to
    >> resume a stopped download, but there seems to be no way to do it.
    >>
    >> I have played with this in the past as a test, but starting a small
    >> download -> disconnecting from the net -> Reconnecting -> Trying to
    >> resume. It dont seem to work, or else I am missing some trick....
    >>
    >> Please help
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for all advice
    >>
    >> Charlie
    >>

    > Ditch the dialup and join the 21st century.

    Pull your head out of your arse and realise not everyone is in an area
    where broadband is available or dialup is all they really need.

    Justin, Mar 22, 2005
  7. Barney Guest

    jmcd <> had
    writtennews:MWR%d.673$:

    > Ditch the dialup and join the 21st century.

    I for one would be glad too, if you can tell me how I am to get ADSL or
    Cable brought to my area. The majority is still stuck with dialup. The
    21st century just started. A few years ago it was 28 kbps.

    --
    Barney __________________________
    Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!

    Barney, Mar 23, 2005
  8. Moz Champion Guest

    jmcd wrote:
    > said the following on 3/21/05 4:53 PM:
    >
    >> What's the purpose of Download Manager in Firefox?
    >>
    >> I am running FF version 1.0. I am trying to download a 32 meg file,
    >> and have a slow dialup connection. That means the donwload will take
    >> about 2 hours and 20 min, and that's only if I dont load any other
    >> webpages or get email which slows the file transfer down. However,
    >> for some reason my ISP cuts me off after a few hours of inactivity,
    >> and for some reason a download does not seem to be recognised as
    >> activity. Therefore, I have to keep doing other stuff online during a
    >> download to prevent my ISP from disconnecting. (I am downloading
    >> right now, so I am reading newsgroup to keep things active).
    >>
    >> Anyhow, I just searched the Mozilla Website for an answer to this and
    >> found nothing. *Just a comment, but they really need to improve their
    >> help files on there, for example, they tell us how to make FF look
    >> like Opera....... Like, who gives a rats ass about that.....
    >>
    >> Anyhow, I tried to download that file last night while I was asleep,
    >> and got about 90% of it downloaded before I got booted off the
    >> internet. Thats most irritating to find I only had about 3 megs to
    >> go...
    >>
    >> The actual question.
    >> How does one "continue" the download?
    >> Or is this not possible?
    >> I reconnected to the web, clicked the PAUSE button on that download,
    >> then clicked the RESUME button. Nothing happened....
    >> I did this several times, but could not get the download to resume.
    >> (I noticed the file in my download folder with the .part extension).
    >>
    >> So, what is the trick to get a download to continue? Is this posible,
    >> or do I need some additional software? If I do, ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT
    >> TO GET?
    >>
    >> I thought the purpose of that FF download manager was to be able to
    >> resume a stopped download, but there seems to be no way to do it.
    >>
    >> I have played with this in the past as a test, but starting a small
    >> download -> disconnecting from the net -> Reconnecting -> Trying to
    >> resume. It dont seem to work, or else I am missing some trick....
    >>
    >> Please help
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for all advice
    >>
    >> Charlie
    >>

    > Ditch the dialup and join the 21st century.

    Not everyone has DSL or ADSL or Cable available to them, even in the
    United States

    To keep your connection alive during downloads, run your mail program
    and have it set to check your mail every so often. This is seen as
    internet activity and will keep the connection alive.

    Moz Champion, Mar 23, 2005
  9. Jerry Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 04:53:58 -0500, jmcd <> wrote:

    >Ditch the dialup and join the 21st century.

    I really get sick of this smart-ass reply. Just for your information
    ass-hole I'd get cable or DSL if it was offered, but since it isn't
    I'll just have to put up with dial-up and dip-shits like yourself
    until that changes.

    In the meantime please die soon.

    Jerry, Mar 23, 2005
  10. Rizzo Guest

    > So, what is the trick to get a download to continue? Is this posible,
    > or do I need some additional software? If I do, ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT
    > TO GET?

    Firefox's download manager automatically resumes files for me, so
    perhaps its an issue with the server you are downloading from - not all
    servers support resuming downloads.

    - GETRIGHT is a great shareware programme for resuming downloads, but
    again, if the fault lies on the server this may not help.

    ..... worth a shot.

    Rizzo, Mar 25, 2005
  11. John Coxon Guest

    In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Jerry's voice said the following,
    in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so low as to
    make a man weep:

    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 04:53:58 -0500, jmcd <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ditch the dialup and join the 21st century.

    > I really get sick of this smart-ass reply. Just for your information
    > ass-hole I'd get cable or DSL if it was offered, but since it isn't
    > I'll just have to put up with dial-up and dip-shits like yourself
    > until that changes.
    >
    > In the meantime please die soon.

    Although my sentiment is not as strong, it does basically follow the last
    poster's feelings on this matter. :)

    --
    John Coxon

    "I’m not worried at all. Hitchhiker’s is going to have Lucas quaking in his
    boots! (Does George Lucas wear boots? He should. Big, red, thigh-high boots
    with spurs and golden toe caps. And a fez. Don’t you agree?)" - Garth
    Jennings (director, 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy')

    Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
    Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
    Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
    ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/