  1. What do you currently reckon is the most prized item in your DVD
    collection (which doesn't have to be a DVD title, but probably is)
    and please say why ?

    Glen_Hamilton, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Just like everybody else who will answer this question, I will give you the
    same answer and say that the most prized item in my collection is none other
    than "The Tony Clifton Movie". I have # 331 of 500. This dvd is owned and loved
    by millions as it should be on a daily basis. The man is full of warmth,
    talent, and the light of the world and elsewhere. Thank You.

    Rupert Pupkin, Aug 26, 2004

  3. The Silence of the Lambs Criterion Edition and Aeon Flux mean a lot to me,
    mostly because they are the first two discs I ever bought, but also because
    they're now both long OOP.

    Vlvetmorning98, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Glen_Hamilton

    Bobcancel Guest

    "My So-Called Life" box set with lunch box and bonus disc. That's one of the
    few discs that will be part of my estate when I die sometime in the next 30 to
    40 years. (Let's hope!?)

    Bobcancel, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Glen_Hamilton

    Lookingglass Guest

    "Glen_Hamilton" <> wrote in message
    > What do you currently reckon is the most prized item in your DVD
    > collection (which doesn't have to be a DVD title, but probably is)
    > and please say why ?

    My collection of Czech stop-motion animation shorts... why?... it's rare.

    Lookingglass, Aug 27, 2004
  6. Glen_Hamilton

    Tom Meyer Guest

    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in message

    > "Glen_Hamilton" <> wrote in message
    > > What do you currently reckon is the most prized item in your DVD
    > > collection (which doesn't have to be a DVD title, but probably is)
    > > and please say why ?

    > My collection of Czech stop-motion animation shorts... why?... it's rare.

    Either I've seen those shorts or there's a lot of crazy-ass Czech
    stop-motion. That does bring up my most prized DVD in my collection, Neco
    Alenzky's Alice.

    Tom

    Tom Meyer, Aug 27, 2004
  7. Glen_Hamilton

    Lookingglass Guest

    "Tom Meyer" <> wrote in message
    > That does bring up my most prized DVD in my collection, Neco
    > Alenzky's Alice.
    >
    > Tom

    Tell me more Tom... Who is Neco Alenzky?... and what is ALICE like? Is it
    available?

    Lookingglass, Aug 27, 2004
  8. >
    >Either I've seen those shorts or there's a lot of crazy-ass Czech
    >stop-motion. That does bring up my most prized DVD in my collection, Neco
    >Alenzky's Alice.
    >
    >Tom

    err, are you referring to Jan Svankmajer's ALICE?

    Vlvetmorning98, Aug 27, 2004
  9. Glen_Hamilton

    Tom Meyer Guest

    "Vlvetmorning98" <> wrote in message

    > >Either I've seen those shorts or there's a lot of crazy-ass Czech
    > >stop-motion. That does bring up my most prized DVD in my collection, Neco
    > >Alenzky's Alice.
    > >
    > >Tom

    > err, are you referring to Jan Svankmajer's ALICE?

    Uh, whoops, yeah...'Neco Alenzky' is in there somewhere, but I think it's
    the alternate title?

    Tom Meyer, Aug 27, 2004
  10. On 25 Aug 2004 23:22:14 -0700, (Glen_Hamilton)
    wrote:

    >What do you currently reckon is the most prized item in your DVD
    >collection (which doesn't have to be a DVD title, but probably is)
    >and please say why ?

    La Porta Sul Bio - one of 1000 (I think) copies...

    --
    Q. What are your qualifications to be a film critic?
    A. I can watch movies, I can think, and I can write.

    Arminio Grgic, Aug 27, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    Glen_Hamilton says...
    > What do you currently reckon is the most prized item in your DVD
    > collection (which doesn't have to be a DVD title, but probably is)
    > and please say why ?

    The extended editions of the Lord of the Rings movies. :) I'm strongly
    considering getting the giftset of ROTK EE in December, after having seen
    the sculptures of Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul that will be included. A
    documentary on the creation of the "Lord of the Rings Symphony" will also
    be in the set.

    Edward

    Edward Curtis, Aug 27, 2004
  12. Glen_Hamilton

    Eric R. Guest

    (Glen_Hamilton) wrote in message news:<>...

    > What do you currently reckon is the most prized item in your DVD
    > collection (which doesn't have to be a DVD title, but probably is)
    > and please say why ?

    I generally judge DVD's on their content, and, with that in mind, the
    hands-down winner is the "Alien Quadrilogy" boxset. That is the
    reference standard for all special edition boxsets. Nothing can touch
    it.

    As for rarity, I've got quite a few of them: The region 4 release of
    "Ken Park," an A&M promotional disc of music videos that came with my
    first DVD player in 1997, the Bill Clinton testimony disc that Netflix
    once offered for 2 cents as a promotional item, the region 3 release
    of the "Twin Peaks" pilot, etc.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Aug 27, 2004
  13. My *rarest* DVD would probably be the limited-edition charity-premium DVD
    of _Koyaanisqatsi_, offered when the filmmakers were raising money to get
    the film rights cleared up. I don't actually know how many copies of this
    were pressed, but it can't have been a lot.

    My most *valuable* DVD is probably the Criterion _Salò_ (though it's opened
    and been watched, so wouldn't fetch the prices seen on eBay and the like).

    As for my most personally prized disc... it's hard to say. The copy of
    _Little Shop of Horrors_ with the original-ending footage? The
    privately-issued _Eraserhead_ disc? The relatively rare _Alien Legacy_
    bonus disc from 1999? I value all of those discs, but I'd still be more
    likely to rescue, say, the Criterion _Richard III_ (despite its being
    readily available and replaceable) if the house was on fire.

    Oh, wait. Never mind: I've got it. The most prized item in my DVD
    collection would have to be my one and only DIVX disc, purchased at Circuit
    City (the only time they've gotten money from me) as a trophy of victory on
    the day of the format's demise. And the title? Why, _Out of Sight_, of
    course. :)

    doug

    --
    "It's a semi-automatic; get in the car..."
    --The Sisters of Mercy

    Douglas Bailey, Aug 27, 2004
  14. Glen_Hamilton

    Lookingglass Guest

    "Tom Meyer" <> wrote in message
    > "Vlvetmorning98" <> wrote in message
    >> err, are you referring to Jan Svankmajer's ALICE?

    > Uh, whoops, yeah...'Neco Alenzky' is in there somewhere, but I think it's
    > the alternate title?

    OH........... I have that one too... and FAUST and LITTLE OTIK... and a lot
    of his shorts in a 2 volume collection. And a bunch of Brothers Quay... lots
    of stop-motion.

    Dave www.Shemakhan.com

    Lookingglass, Aug 27, 2004
  15. Glen_Hamilton

    jayembee Guest

    Douglas Bailey <> wrote:

    > My *rarest* DVD would probably be [...]

    I don't have the foggiest notion what my rarest DVD would be.
    With laserdiscs, it's pretty easy: a Hong Kong issue of THE
    EAST IS RED. Not the SWORDSMAN sequel with Brigitte Lin, but
    a Mainland film that can only be described as what it would
    be like if Rodgers & Hammerstein wrote a Beijing Opera about
    the Chinese Communist revolution. Yes, it's *that* bizarre.
    I was entranced.

    Anyway...my rarest DVD...I dunno. Probably my copy of the
    first issue of BMW's THE HIRE collection that has all five
    of the original films, including the Wong Kar-Wei that was
    dropped out of the second edition.

    (Yes, it was restored for the third edition, but the third
    edition doesn't have the little sub-stories.)

    Or maybe the Japanese release of LOST HIGHWAY.

    > My most *valuable* DVD is probably the Criterion _Salò_

    Yeah, that's probably mine, too.

    > (though it's opened and been watched, so wouldn't fetch
    > the prices seen on eBay and the like).

    Ditto.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Aug 27, 2004
  16. Glen_Hamilton

    AceoHearts Guest

    Well mine is a bit odd, but I would have to say.... Sleepaway Camp Survival
    Pack. Why? Because the first movie has such a cool twist at the end. Not
    to mention that my set has the Red Cross logo on it. This set was quickly
    pulled from stores when the Red Cross sued for copyright infringement. So
    that makes the box set rare.

    AceoHearts

    AceoHearts, Aug 27, 2004
  17. Glen_Hamilton

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > My *rarest* DVD would probably be the limited-edition charity-premium DVD
    > of _Koyaanisqatsi_, offered when the filmmakers were raising money to get
    > the film rights cleared up. I don't actually know how many copies of this
    > were pressed, but it can't have been a lot.

    I had that. I think it cost about $150 US off the website. Still, the best
    way to see this GREAT film at the time.

    Jay Stewart, Aug 28, 2004
  18. Glen_Hamilton

    Jay Stewart Guest

    > What do you currently reckon is the most prized item in your DVD
    > collection (which doesn't have to be a DVD title, but probably is)
    > and please say why ?

    Five Fingers of Death, because I had to look so hard to find it. Perhaps now
    it is more readily available.

    Jay Stewart, Aug 28, 2004
  19. (Glen_Hamilton) wrote in

    > What do you currently reckon is the most prized item in your DVD
    > collection (which doesn't have to be a DVD title, but probably is)
    > and please say why ?

    Darn tough call, but I'll venture the following:

    James Bond Box SE Sets: The first editions, not the re-releases,
    bought back when DVDs were "expensive"... so having the full set was
    a very impressive feat for a poor college sophomore.

    Super Mario Bros Super Show: The title that got me a job doing
    film reviews.

    Three Buisinessmen: because I just love finding a diamond in the rough.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Aug 29, 2004
  20. Glen_Hamilton

    Rich Guest

    +1 on the Alien Quadrilogy, but I have a soft spot for my original Devil's
    Advocate disc. They're not hugely uncommon (eBay pricing is only around $50
    or so), but it's the first DVD I ever bought, before I even had a player.

    Rich, Aug 30, 2004