    I know this is a couple months old but I haven't been able to find any
    updated info on it.

    RedBack
    RedBack, Jan 30, 2004

  2. RedBack

    Thor Guest

    "RedBack" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Has AMD made up it's mind to go down the BTX road?
    >
    > -------------------------------
    > The bigger issue is, however, that although Intel is driving this
    > transition to the BTX form factor, it is certain that, at for the
    > moment, AMD is not moving in this direction. AMD with the launch of
    > Athlon 64 is still sticking with the standard ATX form factor. This
    > does present a serious problem for the case manufacturer, because as
    > the transition to the BTX form factor begins, they will be forced to
    > offer both ATX designs along with the new BTX products when they start
    > to make their appearance
    > -------------------------------
    > from
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20030925/
    >
    > I know this is a couple months old but I haven't been able to find any
    > updated info on it.

    Have you looked at the formfactors website for the current BTX spec?
    http://www.formfactors.org/

    Frankly, I don't quite understand what AMD has to do with AMD-based boards
    being available in BTX. AMD doesn't manufacture motherboards (or cases for
    that matter). Whether AMD platforms will be available in BTX would up to the
    mainboard manufacturers I would think, which would logically go that route
    on AMD-based boards, if they do it with Intel-based boards. My take? BTX is
    coming. Be prepared. Just an FYI, Intel was one of the biggest proponents of
    ATX. So their involvment in the BTX standard is no big surprise. They also
    had a significant role in PCI and AGP technologies.
    Thor, Jan 30, 2004

  3. RedBack

    RedBack Guest

    On 30 Jan 2004 08:32:15 -0600, "Thor" <> wrote :

    >"RedBack" <> wrote in message
    >> Has AMD made up it's mind to go down the BTX road?
    >>
    >> -------------------------------
    >> The bigger issue is, however, that although Intel is driving this
    >> transition to the BTX form factor, it is certain that, at for the
    >> moment, AMD is not moving in this direction. AMD with the launch of
    >> Athlon 64 is still sticking with the standard ATX form factor. This
    >> does present a serious problem for the case manufacturer, because as
    >> the transition to the BTX form factor begins, they will be forced to
    >> offer both ATX designs along with the new BTX products when they start
    >> to make their appearance
    >> -------------------------------
    >> from
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20030925/
    >>
    >> I know this is a couple months old but I haven't been able to find any
    >> updated info on it.

    >Have you looked at the formfactors website for the current BTX spec?
    >http://www.formfactors.org/
    >
    >Frankly, I don't quite understand what AMD has to do with AMD-based boards
    >being available in BTX. AMD doesn't manufacture motherboards (or cases for
    >that matter). Whether AMD platforms will be available in BTX would up to the
    >mainboard manufacturers I would think, which would logically go that route
    >on AMD-based boards, if they do it with Intel-based boards. My take? BTX is
    >coming. Be prepared. Just an FYI, Intel was one of the biggest proponents of
    >ATX. So their involvment in the BTX standard is no big surprise. They also
    >had a significant role in PCI and AGP technologies.

    One of he difference with the BTX case is that the board is on the
    left side of the case, there fore you would have to make a case for
    Intel BTX boards and a different one for AMD ATX boards. I don't think
    the case makers would like to have to make two separate cases...who
    knows what the Power Supply will be like..last I hear they are still
    working on that...lol

    RedBack
    RedBack, Jan 30, 2004
  4. RedBack

    Thor Guest

    "RedBack" <> wrote in message
    > On 30 Jan 2004 08:32:15 -0600, "Thor" <> wrote :
    >

    > >"RedBack" <> wrote in message
    > >> Has AMD made up it's mind to go down the BTX road?
    > >>
    > >> -------------------------------
    > >> The bigger issue is, however, that although Intel is driving this
    > >> transition to the BTX form factor, it is certain that, at for the
    > >> moment, AMD is not moving in this direction. AMD with the launch of
    > >> Athlon 64 is still sticking with the standard ATX form factor. This
    > >> does present a serious problem for the case manufacturer, because as
    > >> the transition to the BTX form factor begins, they will be forced to
    > >> offer both ATX designs along with the new BTX products when they start
    > >> to make their appearance
    > >> -------------------------------
    > >> from
    > >> http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20030925/
    > >>
    > >> I know this is a couple months old but I haven't been able to find any
    > >> updated info on it.

    > >Have you looked at the formfactors website for the current BTX spec?
    > >http://www.formfactors.org/
    > >
    > >Frankly, I don't quite understand what AMD has to do with AMD-based

    boards
    > >being available in BTX. AMD doesn't manufacture motherboards (or cases

    for
    > >that matter). Whether AMD platforms will be available in BTX would up to

    the
    > >mainboard manufacturers I would think, which would logically go that

    route
    > >on AMD-based boards, if they do it with Intel-based boards. My take? BTX

    is
    > >coming. Be prepared. Just an FYI, Intel was one of the biggest proponents

    of
    > >ATX. So their involvment in the BTX standard is no big surprise. They

    also
    > >had a significant role in PCI and AGP technologies.
    > >

    > One of he difference with the BTX case is that the board is on the
    > left side of the case, there fore you would have to make a case for
    > Intel BTX boards and a different one for AMD ATX boards. I don't think
    > the case makers would like to have to make two separate cases...who
    > knows what the Power Supply will be like..last I hear they are still
    > working on that...lol

    There is a new CFX power supply form factor introduced along with the BTX
    spec. But, all the connectors are ATX compatible, so existing ATX supplies
    can still be used if the case is designed for it. CFX is intended for the
    Micro and Pico BTX chassis. Much like SFX supplies are often used in
    micro-ATX boxes. Standard full-size ATX supplies will likely continue to be
    used in chassis that use full-size BTX boards.

    http://www.formfactors.org/FFDetail.asp?FFID=14&CatID=2
    Thor, Jan 30, 2004
  5. RedBack

    RedBack Guest

    On 30 Jan 2004 11:07:12 -0600, "Thor" <> wrote :

    <SNIP>

    >There is a new CFX power supply form factor introduced along with the BTX
    >spec. But, all the connectors are ATX compatible, so existing ATX supplies
    >can still be used if the case is designed for it. CFX is intended for the
    >Micro and Pico BTX chassis. Much like SFX supplies are often used in
    >micro-ATX boxes. Standard full-size ATX supplies will likely continue to be
    >used in chassis that use full-size BTX boards.
    >
    >http://www.formfactors.org/FFDetail.asp?FFID=14&CatID=2

    Thanks for the link Thor.

    I think I'll stop trying to predict the future path for upgrade
    ability...
    Monday I'm about to go and order a new $200 Antec case for my new
    computer I'm building :-(

    Hope it will last me 18/24 months, by then we should know that the
    64bit CPUs and BTX cases will be sorted and ready for mainstream :)
    Then another completely new rebuilt not an upgrade....have to keep
    the economy growing...lol
    RedBack
    RedBack, Jan 31, 2004
  6. RedBack

    Thor Guest

    "RedBack" <> wrote in message
    > On 30 Jan 2004 11:07:12 -0600, "Thor" <> wrote :
    >
    > <SNIP>
    > >
    > >There is a new CFX power supply form factor introduced along with the BTX
    > >spec. But, all the connectors are ATX compatible, so existing ATX

    supplies
    > >can still be used if the case is designed for it. CFX is intended for the
    > >Micro and Pico BTX chassis. Much like SFX supplies are often used in
    > >micro-ATX boxes. Standard full-size ATX supplies will likely continue to

    be
    > >used in chassis that use full-size BTX boards.
    > >
    > >http://www.formfactors.org/FFDetail.asp?FFID=14&CatID=2
    > >

    > Thanks for the link Thor.
    >
    > I think I'll stop trying to predict the future path for upgrade
    > ability...
    > Monday I'm about to go and order a new $200 Antec case for my new
    > computer I'm building :-(
    >
    > Hope it will last me 18/24 months, by then we should know that the
    > 64bit CPUs and BTX cases will be sorted and ready for mainstream :)
    > Then another completely new rebuilt not an upgrade....have to keep
    > the economy growing...lol
    > RedBack

    Honestly, I don't think it will be a big deal for the transition. We had the
    same situation with AT-ATX transition in 1996/97. Case manufacturers will
    continue to make ATX cases for at least a couple years after BTX cases hit
    the market I would predict. They did this for AT because there were still
    plenty of AT systems out there to support, and AT motherboards were still
    being made. I can still buy AT power supplies, and AT systems are pretty few
    these days.
    Thor, Jan 31, 2004
  7. RedBack

    Thor Guest

    One bit of interesting change I discovered upon further reading on the BTX
    standard, is that AGP is slated to be phased out. PCI Express (a new PCI
    standard formerly known as 3GIO during development) will be the new kid on
    the block for graphics boards. Although there is nothing in the spec that
    prohibits using an AGP slot, PCI Express will evidently be the direction
    things will be moving towards when it comes to graphics boards.

    Thor, Jan 31, 2004
  8. RedBack

    RedBack Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:32:47 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote :

    >One bit of interesting change I discovered upon further reading on the BTX
    >standard, is that AGP is slated to be phased out. PCI Express (a new PCI
    >standard formerly known as 3GIO during development) will be the new kid on
    >the block for graphics boards. Although there is nothing in the spec that
    >prohibits using an AGP slot, PCI Express will evidently be the direction
    >things will be moving towards when it comes to graphics boards.

    I have read the same But as far as I have heard, that AMD has not yet
    committed itself to PCI Express or the BTX format.
    Are they going to take two completely different paths...it's looking
    like the betta/vhs vesa/pci wars all over again (the next 12 months is
    going to be interesting)

    So I have decided to build for today and worry about it next time it
    comes to rebuild, but it does come a little problem when trying to
    advise others the best upgrade path.

    Both AMD & Intel are changing the socket so it's a wait and see.when
    the new boards come out.

    RedBack
    RedBack, Feb 1, 2004
  9. RedBack

    RedBack Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:32:47 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote :

    >One bit of interesting change I discovered upon further reading on the BTX
    >standard, is that AGP is slated to be phased out. PCI Express (a new PCI
    >standard formerly known as 3GIO during development) will be the new kid on
    >the block for graphics boards. Although there is nothing in the spec that
    >prohibits using an AGP slot, PCI Express will evidently be the direction
    >things will be moving towards when it comes to graphics boards.

    PCI Express (no AGP on Intel boards)
    http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1953

    follow up..

    VIA's South Bridges can be paired with any of VIA's North Bridges and
    looking at the roadmap we see that the VT8251 South Bridge will bring
    4 SATA ports, Gigabit Ethernet and PCI Express support to motherboards
    that use it. In theory you could get PCI Express support on an Athlon
    XP platform by using this South Bridge but you would still lack a x16
    interface for graphics. The VT8251 will also boast upgraded audio as
    an option.

    http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1954

    RedBack
    RedBack, Feb 1, 2004
  10. RedBack

    Thor Guest

    "RedBack" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:32:47 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote :
    >
    > >One bit of interesting change I discovered upon further reading on the

    BTX
    > >standard, is that AGP is slated to be phased out. PCI Express (a new PCI
    > >standard formerly known as 3GIO during development) will be the new kid

    on
    > >the block for graphics boards. Although there is nothing in the spec that
    > >prohibits using an AGP slot, PCI Express will evidently be the direction
    > >things will be moving towards when it comes to graphics boards.
    > >

    > I have read the same But as far as I have heard, that AMD has not yet
    > committed itself to PCI Express or the BTX format.

    AMD already voted for adoption of PCI Express as a standard. They supported
    Intel's 3GIO before it was renamed to PCI Express, and then they voted to
    approve the standard along with several other industry leaders before it was
    turned over to the PCI-SIG. AMD's Hypertransport was initially thought of as
    a competetor to 3GIO, but in reality AMD says that their technology will
    compliment PCI Express, not compete with it.

    Personally, I don't think AMD will take the perilous step of not supporting
    what looks to be the next major form factor standard. Especially since it
    really has little to do with their CPU in the first place. BTX doesn't
    dictate what CPU is used, just where it goes on the board.
    Thor, Feb 1, 2004
  11. RedBack

    Night_Seer Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > "RedBack" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:32:47 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote :
    >>
    >>> One bit of interesting change I discovered upon further reading on
    >>> the BTX standard, is that AGP is slated to be phased out. PCI
    >>> Express (a new PCI standard formerly known as 3GIO during
    >>> development) will be the new kid on the block for graphics boards.
    >>> Although there is nothing in the spec that prohibits using an AGP
    >>> slot, PCI Express will evidently be the direction things will be
    >>> moving towards when it comes to graphics boards.
    >>>

    >> I have read the same But as far as I have heard, that AMD has not yet
    >> committed itself to PCI Express or the BTX format.

    > AMD already voted for adoption of PCI Express as a standard. They
    > supported Intel's 3GIO before it was renamed to PCI Express, and then
    > they voted to approve the standard along with several other industry
    > leaders before it was turned over to the PCI-SIG. AMD's
    > Hypertransport was initially thought of as a competetor to 3GIO, but
    > in reality AMD says that their technology will compliment PCI
    > Express, not compete with it.
    >
    > Personally, I don't think AMD will take the perilous step of not
    > supporting what looks to be the next major form factor standard.
    > Especially since it really has little to do with their CPU in the
    > first place. BTX doesn't dictate what CPU is used, just where it goes
    > on the board.

    Also, PCI express is going to move into all slots sooner or later, not
    just graphics. The Graphix portion will be a 16X PCI express slot, and
    the regular slots will be 1X PCI express. the 1X is about an inch long.
    THey are going to start with combos boards as they begin phasing out
    PCI.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Feb 2, 2004
  12. RedBack

    Thor Guest

    > Also, PCI express is going to move into all slots sooner or later, not
    > just graphics. The Graphix portion will be a 16X PCI express slot, and
    > the regular slots will be 1X PCI express. the 1X is about an inch long.
    > THey are going to start with combos boards as they begin phasing out
    > PCI.

    Many sources also say that PCI Express will phase in very quickly. Much
    quicker than PCI and AGP did originally.
    Thor, Feb 3, 2004