Whats the latency for woosh

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:48:11 -0800, Peter wrote:

    > What's the latency for woosh. And is there a place on the net I cant check
    > this..? How does it compare to jetstream? Is it only gamers who will feel
    > the difference?

    Wireless does have greater latency than copper/fibre optic.

    Having used both ADSL and wireless, there is not noticable difference in
    the real world.

    Gordon, Dec 11, 2004

  2. Gordon

    TS Guest

    That depends... I would not go so far as to say that Telecom's mobile
    broadband offering has the same latency as ADSL or other forms of wireless.
    We routinely see a latency of around 1000-2000ms, but there's always a price
    to paid isn't there!

    TS, Dec 11, 2004

  3. Gordon

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:48:11 -0800, "Peter" <> wrote:

    >What's the latency for woosh. And is there a place on the net I cant check
    >this..? How does it compare to jetstream? Is it only gamers who will feel
    >the difference?

    Anything interactive will suffer with high latency, but streaming (eg
    music) will probably be OK.

    I once worked on a network that used a satellite for a crucial link.
    They wanted sub-second application response times <grin> While the
    satelite link had sub-second latency, it didn't leave enough slack for
    the application.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

    http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

    Enkidu, Dec 11, 2004
  4. Gordon

    Peter Guest

    What's the latency for woosh. And is there a place on the net I cant check
    this..? How does it compare to jetstream? Is it only gamers who will feel
    the difference?

    cheers

    Peter

    Peter, Dec 11, 2004