    downside to sharpening in the camera? There must be one or the camera would
    simply be set on level 5 in the factory.

    John

    eatmorepies, Apr 17, 2005

  2. eatmorepies

    John DH Guest

    No control as to how the sharpening is done. At level 5, see if there are
    any hallo effects around areas of contrasting colours, particularly at
    greater magnifications. To get the best out of any camera, sharpening is
    best done via Photoshop CS (or your own favourite software), keep the
    sharpening effect to a minimum, especially if you are printing enlargements.
    It's all a bit of a con really, because it is only an apparent sharpness
    that is added by adjusting contrasting areas of the picture. Real sharpness
    is down to the quality of the camera, optics and the photographer.

    John D

    "eatmorepies" <> wrote in message
    > I have been experimenting with settings in my Canon 350D. The camera

    offers

    John DH, Apr 17, 2005

  3. eatmorepies

    Jim Townsend Guest

    eatmorepies wrote:

    > I have been experimenting with settings in my Canon 350D. The camera offers
    > sharpening with 5 settings. Setting 1 produces very soft images compared
    > with setting 5 - which seems to produce very sharp images. What's the
    > downside to sharpening in the camera? There must be one or the camera would
    > simply be set on level 5 in the factory.

    Your camera contains an internal computer that performs the sharpening
    on the JPEG file. The catch is, it can only do it one way. There's
    one algorithm that computes the sharpening and that's the only way
    it can be done.

    When you sharpen your images externally on your desktop computer, you have
    a host of sharpening options that you can taylor to suit your specific needs.

    In some cases, you can do a better job on your home computer than your camera's
    internal computer can.

    Jim Townsend, Apr 17, 2005
  4. eatmorepies

    Stacey Guest

    eatmorepies wrote:

    > I have been experimenting with settings in my Canon 350D. The camera
    > offers sharpening with 5 settings. Setting 1 produces very soft images
    > compared with setting 5 - which seems to produce very sharp images. What's
    > the downside to sharpening in the camera? There must be one or the camera
    > would simply be set on level 5 in the factory.

    It boils down to how much post processing do you want to do. Some people
    want to pull the card out of the camera and have prints made, that's what
    the higher sharpening levels are for. I use a PS plugin called "ultra
    sharpen" that does a MUCH better job than the camera or even PS can do. I
    shoot RAW and process each file carefully to get the best I can from the
    camera. I mainly shoot landscapes and macro stuff so only have a few
    keepers from each outing to deal with. If I had hundreds of prints to make,
    I'd shoot jpegs and try to dial in the "in camera" processing to my liking.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Apr 17, 2005
  5. eatmorepies

    Don Stauffer Guest

    eatmorepies wrote:
    > I have been experimenting with settings in my Canon 350D. The camera offers
    > sharpening with 5 settings. Setting 1 produces very soft images compared
    > with setting 5 - which seems to produce very sharp images. What's the
    > downside to sharpening in the camera? There must be one or the camera would
    > simply be set on level 5 in the factory.
    >
    > John

    You are likely to see more noise with higher amounts of sharpening.
    That is the reason it is not done more frequently. If you have an edge
    with uniform color areas adjacent to it, you can see either snow-type
    noise, or feint ghost images of the edge. Each subject/image reacts
    differently to sharpening, however. It depends on the spatial frequency
    content of the image.

    Don Stauffer, Apr 18, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    "eatmorepies" <> wrote:

    > I have been experimenting with settings in my Canon 350D. The camera offers
    > sharpening with 5 settings. Setting 1 produces very soft images compared
    > with setting 5 - which seems to produce very sharp images. What's the
    > downside to sharpening in the camera? There must be one or the camera would
    > simply be set on level 5 in the factory.
    >
    > John

    You risk clipping pixels or boosting noise when sharpening is set very
    high. It decreases the color quality of details even with very sparse
    damage. In some cases you can get halos caused by the sharpening not
    exactly matching the blur. Play with sharpening in an image editor to
    see what sharpening damage looks like. You can then check your photos
    for the same problem.

    5 is higher than needed for typical conditions. Is this with the
    18-55mm kit lens? Many of them are blurry. A better quality lens will
    improve details much more cleanly than digital sharpening can.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 19, 2005