Whats the diffrence anyway...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by gunaselanV@yahoo.com, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have read that Vista has 2 options operating under a 32 bit mode Vs
    64 bit mode

    I have a few questions on it. But before that, i just want to add that
    the applications dont need the extra processing horsepower most of them
    at least nor do i run any games nor application that needs heavy
    graphical rendering

    So
    1. I have not played around with Vista. But is there an option at the
    start to dictate which bit you want to operate in . 64 bit vs 32 bit.
    Or is it diffrent versions of vista that ones has to get

    2. in 64 bit. Will 32 bit applications run fine

    3. In 64 bit , I have read that 16 bit applications will not run why is
    this so. I could be missing something significant in terms of computing
    architecture. but please do eloborate.

    4. in 32 bit. will 16 bit apps run and if so why?any details would be
    appreaciated.

    5. What would be the diffrence in funtionality or otherwise (maybe even
    in security-i dont know, just stabbing in the dark). All i understand
    is that its purely a processing need that one would want to go for when
    one selects a 64 bit vista?Maybe the gurus here can eloborate

    Regards
    , Feb 8, 2006

  2. 1.) How it's packaged is a bit early to say - given that the product won't
    ship for at least 6 months.
    2.) Yes.
    3.) There are technical reasons(related to stability, overall speed, etc.)
    why MS chose not to include support for 16 bit applications in x64, but
    there are workarounds using virtual machines. They seem like pretty viable
    workarounds to me, for most scenarios.
    4.) Yes. Because an emulation layer is included that enables support for 16
    bit applications.
    5.) Access to vastly greater amounts of virtual memory address space, more
    efficient I/O, more and wider Registers, and faster overall processing would
    be some of the reasons.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64