Whats the Difference??

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Seidell23231, Apr 17, 2008.

  1. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    RAID 0 Questions:
    1. What reading do you recommend regarding RAID 0? I want to get fully
    locked in on the RAID world and to do this, I need some sources (Reading
    wise).
    2A. This is a little difficult to explain, but here we go. My PC has RAID
    0 & 1 ability. The software side "Intel Matrix Storage Console". The
    paperwork that came with the system states this method to use (Obviously at
    this point the OS and drivers and all software is already installed).
    However, when I use this method, I do NOT get the HD's combined (Viewing that
    is) in my Computer screen or the Computer Management area), but the Intel
    Matrix Storage Console shows and states they are combined. **This deletes
    everything from the RAID drives!
    2B. When I boot up my PC the RAID controller displays that status of the
    RAID and all pertinent information. Now if I "DELETE" the RAID created in
    step 2A and then save and exit and do another Reboot and enter the RAID
    controller area and CREATE a RAID 0, save and exit. I am than prompted to
    insert a system disk. I than insert disk 1 of the recovery disks. Once all
    loaded and finally reach the desktop, ALL drives are ONE drive. NO where is
    there any reference of the 2nd disk! So this is how it is suppose to look
    from what I have learned here. Everything works, system is snappier;
    HOWEVER, I start getting the BSOD! Where I never got them before I am now!
    The only deduction I can summorize from this is tha the OS is Striped,
    opposed to being on 1 HD in one specific place as in 2A above.

    I need some thoughts on this and maybe some helpfull pointers on how to
    overcome the obstacles as stated in the above questions.

    Thanks in Advance!! ~~~~ Joey

    Seidell23231, Apr 17, 2008

  2. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    I forgot to mention which RAID Controller (Hardware) is in use. It is:

    Intel ICH8R/ICG9R SATA RAID Controller

    Is this a good Controller? Not that I can do anything about it, since it is
    probably built in to the MotherBoard (ASUS Benica)..

    Joey

    Seidell23231, Apr 17, 2008

  3. Seidell23231

    Carlos Guest

    First things first.
    Are you using the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager?
    Latest version for Vista x64 can be found here:

    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...dows Vista* 64&lang=eng&strOSs=150&submit=Go!

    The one you need is "RAID/AHCI Software - Intel® Matrix Storage Manager
    (5615KB)", version 7.8.0.1012 dated 11/9/2007.

    This is the readme:
    http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14848/ENG/readme.txt
    Which includes a tutorial for installation, and these are the release notes:
    http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14848/ENG/releasenotes.htm

    There's a BSOD corrected in this release but I don't know if it applies to
    your system or not.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 17, 2008
  4. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    Hi Carlos,

    Yes, I just downloaded it and installed it. It was not in use prior to now.
    I was using 7.6, which is what the PC came with. Part 2 is where it gets a
    little hairy... Waiting for you on that!

    Joey

    Seidell23231, Apr 17, 2008
  5. Seidell23231

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    So you are now up to date with the latest 7.8's, right?
    What happened with the BSOD's, did they go away?
    What is, in a nutshell, your question # 2?
    I couldn't follow the lengthy explanation quite well.
    Do you need an advice to choose between RAID0 and RAID1?

    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 17, 2008
  6. I am not quite sure of your current status - I will go through the
    philosophy. . .

    First principle:

    You define a RAID set as a completely new set of HD's with nothing on them,
    this is done in the RAID chip's BIOS or the expansion card's BIOS, if you
    then supply the correct drivers that is compatible with and supported by
    your OS during the installation of the OS your RAID set will be recognized
    by that OS's installer.

    This is where I become uncertain - if you try and convert an installed
    non-RAID system to a RAID set, then you are going to fail, because
    configuring the RAID will definitely delete all data on all the disks that
    are being configured as belonging to the RAID.

    If you are trying to install an OS to a RAID set that is allready configured
    and has an installed system that is up and running you do not touch that
    RAID configuration at all! The only requirement is that you supply the
    driver to the installer that the other OS expects in order to recognize the
    RAID. The fact that you have configured a RAID and has installed one system
    on to that RAID will not let another OS that you are trying to install onto
    that same RAID be recognized by the second installer and using the other
    system's driver!

    You have to supply the driver every time. This mean that you can install a
    Windows system on the RAID and if you have the space you can install a Linux
    system next to it, and each one can be 32bit or 64bit as you wish if you
    just make sure that you supply the correct driver for each system and for
    each new installation, in order for the installer to know there is HD space
    that it can use! The installer doesn't know about RAIDs, it just know about
    HD's and the driver makes the RAID visible to the installer and later to the
    OS as well.

    The IDE specification and SCSI and all other specifications have precise
    definitions of how data is written to and read from each of these types of
    disks. RAID has no knowledge of IDE or SCSI or anything else except it's own
    RAID definition. Nothing else in the known universe knows anything about
    RAID except the RAID and this is why you have to supply the correct driver
    each time.

    You may already know all this - I just think it is important that you don't
    f*ck anything up for yourself at this point, because of a simple
    misconception!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 17, 2008
  7. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    The RAID 0 Migration is still underway, so no update on BSOD yet. Before I
    give an update for 2, let me see what happens with the new upgrade to 7.8...
    Stay tuned.......

    Seidell23231, Apr 17, 2008
  8. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    Hi Tony,

    Thanks for the info! Here is where I am currently at. When I bought my new
    PC I received these directions for the RAID:

    Setting Up RAID Configuration Using Intel Matrix Storage Technology:
    The hard disk drives installed in your computer are already set up and
    working. Converting the hard disk drives to an Intel RAID mode offers
    enhanced performance depending on the way you use your computer. This
    document applies to HP desktop computers using Intel Matrix Storage
    Technology and RAID controllers in MS Vista and describes the following:
    ** Intel RAID Technology (Updated the software from v 7.6 to 7.8)
    ** Choosing a RAID config
    ** Configuring computer from RAID Ready to RAID 0
    ** Post RAID 0 migration procedure
    Intel RAID Technology discussed. Choosing a RAID Configuration is discussed.

    Configuring Computer from RAID Ready to RAID 0:
    1. Click Windows Start Button, All Programs, Intel Matrix Storage Manager,
    and then right-click Intel Matrix Storage Console (Run as Administrator).
    2. Click Improve Storage Performance with RAID 0.
    3. Click Create a RAID 0 Volume.
    4. When the confirmation appears, click Yes to start the migration process.
    A Migration Status Bar Appears.
    5. Once RAID migration is complete, a dialog appears, click to Restart.

    Post RAID 0 Migration Procedure:
    After migrating a system from RAID Ready to RAID 0, the RAID volume contains
    the combined capacity of all the HD Drives, but the migrated partition leaves
    unformatted space at the end of the RAID volume. To use this space, use
    Windows Vista Disk Management to create another partition following these
    steps:
    1. Open Disk Management (Short version).
    2, Right click the Unallocated space and click New Simple Volume.
    3. Follow the prompts to create the New Volume.

    That is the step by step directions that came with the HP PC for the RAID.
    That is the procedure I just got done doing. I will report back on how it
    eneded up.. Joey

    Seidell23231, Apr 18, 2008
  9. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    Tony & Carlos,

    OK, here are the results thus far and the problem, if there is one. The
    RAID is down and when I boot up the system it displays the RAID Controller
    and it reports all ok. When I get into the desktop, I went into "Computer"
    to see if it was still listing each drive as seperate. It is! I then went
    to Disk Management. It has both drives in the Disk 0 slot and the size
    showing is the combination of both. But they are showing as seperate blocks
    of space in Disk 0.

    The only problem I see at this stage is what the "Computer" is displaying.
    It should have just one block with both combined, RIGHT?

    Now here is where the BIG difference comes in. If I disregard the
    instructions that came with the system, as described in my prior message and
    do it manually, I get a different story. Explaination = I reboot the PC.
    When the RAID Controller screen displays, I press ctl+I and enter the RAID
    Controller menu. Next I Delete the RAID and ALL data. I Reboot and when the
    RAID Controlle display appears I enter the Controller. This time I Create a
    RAID 0. Again, Reboot and insert Disk 1 of the Recovery Disks. The System
    goes through the paces as a recovery and loads all data showing Fresh from
    the Factory. The PC Reboots, the RAID Controller displays the RAID 0 and I
    reach the Desktop. When I enter the "Computer" only 1 HD id displayed. NO
    mention or indication of a second. I now go into Disk Management, Disk 0
    shows the combined drives, but there is NO block indicating a second drive
    ever existed. Everything looks as it should, drive wise that is.

    However, I was getting a lot of BSOD with this method. Most referencing
    show to do with a POINTER and than does a dump! I have not tried this method
    since upgrading to 7.8, so not sure if BSOD are still an issue?

    My QUESTION at this point is this.... I have followed the Directions as per
    HP and built the RAID. So why is there a HD issue, meaning why is the second
    drive showing in "Computer" and partially in Disk Management. Can someone
    explain that parrt and is it an issue or not?????

    Thanks! Joey

    Seidell23231, Apr 18, 2008
  10. O.K. - the fogs are clearing now - it seems to me that your second account
    of your experience is the technologically correct one - that is how I would
    expect it to look.

    This is the trouble with brand-name products - they have completely
    proprietary ways of doing things their own way. Normally, you cannot convert
    a 'Live' system from non-RAID to RAID - so, HP found a way, and now we have
    to iron out the wrinkles.

    Fortunately (for us!) if you have BSOD's doing it the HP way, I think you
    should call up, or e-mail their support and have a technician explain their
    proprietary philosophy 'en-lieu' these BSOD's. It is hard to make
    suggestions for something this alien.

    The only way I can explain the two 'blocks' (as you say) is if they have
    each disk configured as a separate partition in the RAID set. This would be
    odd for a default setup but perfectly in order! Or, if the original non-RAID
    partition is not actually converted but sits there serving as a rescue
    partition, but also, still non-RAID!

    Gosh, Joey! I really don't know, I have very good experience from HP
    notebook and printers but I would never buy a brand-name desktop, and for
    this very reason. But here you are, and I think you should e-mail their tech
    support directly and have them explain this, because this is beyond the
    normal 'oddities' - this is outright freakish!

    Tony Sperling, Apr 18, 2008
  11. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    Can we discuss over the phone?? Much easier at this point. Email me your
    number and a Best time to talk () , Thanks! Joey

    Till than

    Seidell23231, Apr 18, 2008
  12. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    Active Migration...

    OK, I have the RAID 0 array setup and the Matrix Console Manager says Status
    is nornal. OK, so if RAID 0 is "Striping" shouldn't it now be writing to
    both HD's?? In Disk Management and Computer, Both HD's are displayed, but in
    Disk Management both HD's are positioned in line with Disk 0 and Disk 0 shows
    the combined values.

    So, if I am copying a huge block of data from my external drive to my C
    drive, shouldn't the status change from NO active migration to YES active
    migration? Additionally, shouldn't the 2nd HD show a value, something,
    anything? It shows 0, NO data displayed............

    THOUGHTS???? Joey

    Seidell23231, Apr 18, 2008
  13. Re: Active Migration...

    I have been thinking about these concepts since you brought them up, but I
    cannot make them fit entirely with what I know of the basic RAID technology.
    Unless HP have employed some sort of Software RAID by which you can make
    RAID do things it otherwise wouldn't - I am pretty much in the dark here. I
    know if you type in "raid" in any search engine you'll get more hits than
    you want, it could pay off, a lot of that is good info - I still think you
    should e-mail HP tech support. They are nice folks if you address them in
    plain and level-headed language, and since you have seen BSOD's, you do have
    an issue for them to tackle. Phoning the call-centre will probably be a
    waste.

    As I have implemented it, the Hard drives show in BIOS setup as two drives.
    This is before the driver is read into memory, in the RAID manager I only
    see the RAID and in Windows device manager I only see the number of
    partitions that I created on the one drive that is the RAID.

> [...]

    Disk 0
    > > > shows the combined drives, but there is NO block indicating a second

    drive
    > > > ever existed. Everything looks as it should, drive wise that is.
    > > >
    > > > However, I was getting a lot of BSOD with this method. Most

    referencing
    > > > show to do with a POINTER and than does a dump! I have not tried this

    > > method
    > > > since upgrading to 7.8, so not sure if BSOD are still an issue?
    > > >
    > > > My QUESTION at this point is this.... I have followed the Directions

    as
    > > per
    > > > HP and built the RAID. So why is there a HD issue, meaning why is the

    > > second
    > > > drive showing in "Computer" and partially in Disk Management. Can

    someone
    > > > explain that parrt and is it an issue or not?????

    message

    Tony Sperling, Apr 18, 2008