Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2xlZS1NYW4=?=, Feb 11, 2007.

  1. What is the main difference between 32 bit and 64 bit vista versions
    =?Utf-8?B?U2xlZS1NYW4=?=, Feb 11, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2xlZS1NYW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you have 4gig or less ram and no native 64-bit programs, the main
    difference is the additional security. Offset by the difficulties finding
    drivers and programs which run properly.

    John Barnes, Feb 11, 2007

  3. 1. You can access more than 4GB of memory on 64 bit systems.
    2. You must use 64 bit drivers and there aren't that many.

    --
    P Hutchison

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Feb 12, 2007
  4. I was about to post a similar question. So unless I am planning on haveing a
    system with more than 4GB and not use native 64 bit apps I should go with the
    32 bit version due to the driver issues?

    Thanks
    Dani

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaQ==?=, Feb 12, 2007
  5. Or, do your homework and make sure your hardware has drivers. If it does, go
    with 64bit if you wish. It will be more secure, if only because of the
    improved driver requirements in Vista x64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 12, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U2xlZS1NYW4=?=

    BSchnur Guest

    > Or, do your homework and make sure your hardware has drivers. If it does, go
    > with 64bit if you wish. It will be more secure, if only because of the
    > improved driver requirements in Vista x64.

    At the very least, they will present a new and exciting challenge for
    those seeking to undermine the security of Vista....

    --
    Barry Schnur
    BSchnur, Feb 12, 2007
  7. Between that, and the fact that all x64 chips have hardware buffer overflow
    protection (/noexecute), a lot of the low hanging fruit is taken care of.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 13, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?U2xlZS1NYW4=?=

    BSchnur Guest

    > Between that, and the fact that all x64 chips have hardware buffer overflow
    > protection (/noexecute), a lot of the low hanging fruit is taken care of.

    Understood -- we only approve of the most clever hacks.

    --
    Barry Schnur
    BSchnur, Feb 13, 2007
  9. Many, many years ago, when I arrived at work early one morning there was a
    bit of commotion - the place had had a nightly visitor. Later, I overheard
    the boss trying to persuade the insurance guy that the locks were all in
    order. The reply was: "Yea, don't worry. We only have locks to keep the
    honest people out, anyway!"

    I guess, that is as much as we can expect. The rest is a battle on human
    creativity!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 13, 2007