whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?VW5rbm93blRCZWFzdA==?=, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. what is the main diffenernce in xp x64 and xp pro w/ sp2?
    just wondering.

    =?Utf-8?B?VW5rbm93blRCZWFzdA==?=, Nov 29, 2005

  2. XP Pro x64 and XP Pro SP2 are nearly feature identical. However, XP Pro x64
    runs only on 64-bit machines while XP Pro SP2 runs on both x64 and x86
    machines (as a 32-bit OS of course). Technically, x64 is built on the same
    codebase that Server 2003 x64 is and x64 is very stable as a result. XP Pro
    x64 can address huge amounts of memory compared to x86. The drawback to x64
    right now is that the user has to carefully choose devices that have 64-bit
    drivers available. Programs that use software drivers need to have
    64-drivers available also. 16-bit software does not run at all on x64.
    Some 32-bit applications have 16-bit installers and so won't install. It is
    a great system if you prepare for it carefully or plan to use it in a
    multiboot scenario or on a second system where you have a help computer to
    compensate for incompatibilities until the third party vendors catch up to
    the 64-bit world.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Thanks for the information, sounds interesting.
    Now qiute how do you tell the difference in the type of system, x64 or x86?
    From what I saw in the FAQ its the processor, right? And Colin, you said that
    xp pro w/ sp 2 can run both on x64 and x86, but as a 32-bit, thats the same
    as x32 I thought, making it work only for x32 machines.

    Thank you much,
    Randall

    =?Utf-8?B?VW5rbm93blRCZWFzdA==?=, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Just to get the terminology right, there is no "x32". What you are calling
    x32 is by convention called x86 (after the family of Intel processors that
    started with the 8086). x86 is currently used to describe 32-bit operating
    systems that run on Intel and compatible x86 processors.

    x64 is named after the AMD64 family of processors that were the first 64-bit
    processors that were backwards compatible with x86 instructions sets. x64
    is used to describe 64-bit operating systems that run on the AMD64 and Intel
    EM64T processors. (There is another Intel 64-bit processor, the Itanium,
    that is called IA64 and is not compatible with either x86 or x64
    processors.)

    The result: All 32-bit Windows for x86 processors run on x64 processors as
    well. But they run as 32-bit operating systems. To get the full capability
    of an x64 processor you need to run Windows x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 30, 2005