    Does anyone know what the difference is? Is it another complete series
    or what?

    Thanks...

    Ken L. Cheshire, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Ken L. Cheshire

    Jay G Guest

    "Ken L. Cheshire" <> wrote ...
    > Have the Secret Agent (aka Danger Man) MegaSet which is supposed to be
    > complete.
    >
    > Now I see on DDDVD something called Danger Man Season One. And it looks
    > like something else with Patrick McGoohan.
    >
    > Does anyone know what the difference is? Is it another complete series
    > or what?

    Just to compare:
    http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE070934

    http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=ANE070942

    The Megaset is the complete Danger Man, all 47 episodes,
    while the Season One Set is only the first 39 episodes.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Ken L. Cheshire <> wrote:

    > Have the Secret Agent (aka Danger Man) MegaSet which is supposed to be
    > complete....Now I see on DDDVD something called Danger Man Season One.
    > Does anyone know what the difference is?

    Very strange: no other stores have it listed, according to DVD Price
    Search, and neither does A&E's own web site.

    But comparing the episode titles listed on DDD's site to the episode
    guide found at <http://epguides.com/DangerMan/> suggests that this is a
    new set containing the original 39 half-hour episodes from 1960-61.

    (The existing "Set 1," by comparison, is the first batch of one-hour
    episodes from 1965, which were also the first ones to be retitled
    "Secret Agent" for US viewers.)

    Sounds lovely. I've placed a pre-order with DDD for the new set, so I
    guess I'll find out soon whether it really exists (the listed release
    date is 9 September). I just wonder why no-one else has it advertised.

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Jay G <> wrote:
    > "Ken L. Cheshire" <> wrote ...

    > > Does anyone know what the difference is? Is it another complete series
    > > or what?

    > The Megaset is the complete Danger Man, all 47 episodes,
    > while the Season One Set is only the first 39 episodes.

    Not so: see my reply elsewhere in this thread.

    (In brief: there were 86 episodes of "Danger Man," of which the last 47
    -- the one-hour "Secret Agent" ones -- are collected in the Megaset.
    The new set apparently contains the first 39 episodes, which run a
    half-hour apiece. See <http://epguides.com/DangerMan/> for details.)

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 4, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    Douglas Bailey <> wrote:

    > Sounds lovely. I've placed a pre-order with DDD for the new set, so I
    > guess I'll find out soon whether it really exists (the listed release
    > date is 9 September). I just wonder why no-one else has it advertised.

    It does seem a little bit odd, but basically the same thing happened
    about six months with "The New Avengers, Season 1" DVD box set.

    That set initiallly appeared without any advance news or rumors on
    DeepDiscountDVD's website. Even though it was known that A&E held the
    release rights to "The New Avengers," there wasn't a peep on the A&E
    website about this. DeepDiscountDVD advertised it as a "DeepDiscountDVD
    exclusive", even though it also turned out to be available on Critic's
    Choice Video's website... which made sense, because Critic's Choice and
    DeepDiscountDVD are owned by the same company.

    Anyway, it was only several months later when other sites, including the
    A&E website, started selling the "The New Avengers, Season 1" box.

    I'm guessing that it's the same deal with the "Danger Man, Season 1"
    boxset. And indeed: it's also available on the Critic's Choice Video
    website (for $25 more than on DeepDiscountDVD, though). That's probably
    why they didn't say "exclusive" this time - it was slightly false
    advertising last time, since it wasn't really only available through the
    DeepDiscountDVD website.

    I'm a bit dubious it's going to actually ship next week, though... but I
    ordered it and I'll keep my fingers crossed!

    --Scott McGuire /

    Scott McGuire, Sep 4, 2003
  6. Danger Man first-season box reactions (was Re: What's the Difference?)

    I got the _Danger Man_ first-season box in the mail yesterday from DDD.
    It's the usual A&E affair: a thin cardboard box containing five
    separate keepcases (with no inserts other than an A&E catalogue in the
    first case).

    There are eight half-hour episodes on each disc except for Disc Five,
    which has seven: a total of 39 episodes. The episodes are in the
    correct broadcast order as given on <http://epguides.com/DangerMan/>.

    So far, I've only had time to watch the first two episodes on Disc One,
    "View From the Villa" and "Time to Kill". Based on those...

    The image is of the same excellent quality as that on the later _Secret
    Agent AKA Danger Man_ discs. Contrast and sharpness are strong, and the
    prints are in good shape. There are a few white flecks here and there,
    certainly, but it really looks remarkable for a TV show shot in 1959
    (broadcast in 1960).

    The audio is clean 2-channel mono, and again is in good shape. There's
    obviously limited frequency response, but the dialogue and music come
    through clearly: no straining required to catch what someone's saying.

    There are no sub-titles.

    The shows themselves feel somewhat rushed in spots, but that may just
    be because I'm accustomed to the slightly more leisurely pacing of the
    later _SA AKA DM_ hour-long episodes. Other differences from the 1965
    shows: I hadn't been aware that John Drake was a NATO agent in the
    original series, or that he spoke with a noticeably more American
    accent.

    Anyway, I'm very happy with the set so far, and would recommend it to
    anyone who enjoys the existing _Secret Agent_ DVDs.

    HTH,

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Ken L. Cheshire

    karlpov Guest

    Re: Danger Man first-season box reactions (was Re: What's the Difference?)

    Do you have any idea why most of the world seems unaware of this set?
    DeepDiscountDVD seems to be the only online source advertising it.
    DVDEmpire, DVDPlanet, DVDPacific, none of these is aware of it.
    HomeTheaterInfo doesn't have it on its lists, and it never appeared on
    the eFilmCritic preview list. Nor can I find it in any brick&mortar
    store. Yet everyone knows about the SAakaDM sets, including the new
    megaset. Why is A&E keeping this earlier set a secret?

    karlpov, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Re: Danger Man first-season box reactions (was Re: What's the Difference?)

    karlpov <> wrote:
    > Do you have any idea why most of the world seems unaware of this set?
    > DeepDiscountDVD seems to be the only online source advertising it.
    > DVDEmpire, DVDPlanet, DVDPacific, none of these is aware of it.
    > HomeTheaterInfo doesn't have it on its lists, and it never appeared on
    > the eFilmCritic preview list. Nor can I find it in any brick&mortar
    > store. Yet everyone knows about the SAakaDM sets, including the new
    > megaset. Why is A&E keeping this earlier set a secret?

    See Scott McGuire's excellent post <http://groups.google.com/groups?
    selm=smcguire-F2B256.13364404092003%40enews.newsguy.com> from earlier
    discussion of this set.

    HTH,

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 29, 2003