    Wetware Guest

    Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
    second?
    Wetware, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Wetware

    Geoff Guest

    Wetware wrote:
    > Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
    > second?

    mega bites is how many bites you can take out of something like a burner per
    second
    like, some poeple can do 56 bites a sec, and some poeple can do 512 bites a
    second !
    Geoff, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Wetware

    Geoff Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > Wetware wrote:
    >> Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
    >> second?

    > mega bites is how many bites you can take out of something like a
    > burner per second
    > like, some poeple can do 56 bites a sec, and some poeple can do 512
    > bites a second !

    burger even
    lol
    Geoff, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Wetware

    David Hough Guest

    A byte is eight bits. Do the math

    David Hough, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Wetware

    ride80 Guest

    8 bits in a byte. Now add the word MEGA and there you go
    ride80, Jul 25, 2003
  6. Wetware

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > Megabits/sec * 1/8 = Megabytes/sec.

    Not quite. Got it backwards. 8 bits in 1 byte. So 8 Mb in 1 MB. So Mbits * 8
    = MBytes.

    KB

    Ken Briscoe, Jul 25, 2003
  7. On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:24:04 GMT, "Ken Briscoe"
    <> wrote:

    >> Megabits/sec * 1/8 = Megabytes/sec.
    >>

    >Not quite. Got it backwards. 8 bits in 1 byte. So 8 Mb in 1 MB. So Mbits * 8
    >= MBytes.
    >
    >KB

    I think it was right the first time. The megabyte is bigger, so you
    divide the 8 into the smaller unit to get the bigger unit.

    Try it this way...is it

    eggs*12=dozens

    or

    eggs*1/12=dozens?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 25, 2003
  8. "Ken Briscoe" <> wrote in message
    > > Megabits/sec * 1/8 = Megabytes/sec.
    > >

    > Not quite. Got it backwards. 8 bits in 1 byte. So 8 Mb in 1 MB. So Mbits *

    8
    > = MBytes.

    Nope, it was right originally. As you say, 8 bits is 1 byte. So you take the
    number of bits and divide by 8 (ie. times by 1/8). If you multiply by 8 you
    are saying 8 bits = 64 bytes.

    Gareth
    Gareth Church, Jul 25, 2003