    which i use and a memory stick. What is the memory stick used for? Is
    it essentially the same as a sd card, just a different format? Thanks.

    , Oct 21, 2006

  2. m Ransley Guest

    Sonys own card is memory stick and only sony uses it. A good reason many
    did not buy sony was they only took stick.

    m Ransley, Oct 22, 2006

  3. Guest

    m Ransley wrote:
    > Sonys own card is memory stick and only sony uses it. A good reason many
    > did not buy sony was they only took stick.

    My question was do they serve the same purpose. I could use a memory
    stick instead of the sd card and take pictures? My Minolta Dimage 500
    has a slot for sd, mmi, and memory stick. Thanks.

    , Oct 22, 2006
  4. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <>
    wrote:

    > Please forgive the newbie question. My camera has a slot for a sd card
    > which i use and a memory stick. What is the memory stick used for? Is
    > it essentially the same as a sd card, just a different format? Thanks.

    Memory sticks are Sony's own 'solution' to memory media. There are now
    at least 3 types of stick, all essentially incompatible with each other.
    - Heaven forbid you should use the same stick in your camera and your
    VAIO, they've got their bottom line to think of.

    Stick with the SD cards a forget about memory sticks.

    Stewy, Oct 22, 2006
  5. They both serve the same purpose. The only difference is that the memory
    stick made by Sony is bigger (dimensions) and cost much more than SD card.

    Use SD only and you will be happy.
    Jan

    <> wrote in mssage

    Jan Nademlejnsky, Oct 22, 2006
  6. Ed Mullikin Guest

    My Sony allows the use of both a compact flash and a memory stick. A switch
    allows the operator to decide which to use so I presume that is the case in
    the original question; just a different camera.

    Ed Mullikin, Oct 22, 2006
  7. Guest

    That's what i needed to know. Thanks.

  8. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > Please forgive the newbie question. My camera has a slot for a sd card
    > which i use and a memory stick. What is the memory stick used for? Is
    > it essentially the same as a sd card, just a different format? Thanks.

    The main difference between SD and MS is about $10/GB.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 22, 2006