Whats the diff between Canon Digital Rebel XT SLR 8.0 MP cameras?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by samoansubmissionmachine@yahoo.com, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I am from canada and will probably be buying a digital slr in the near
    future. FutureShop's website shows 3 different Canon Digital Rebel XT
    Digital SLR cameras, but I cannot see what is different about them
    other than the price.

    There are:

    1. "Canon Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for $849
    ($100 off)
    2. "Canon EOS Rebel XT SLR 8.0MP Digital Camera" for $899 ($150 off)
    3. "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for
    $999 ($100 off)

    So I can see a diff in the "EOS" (whatever that is) but thats about it.
    If anyone can tell me the main differences, and if its worth to pay
    the little extra for the most expensive one, then please share.
    Otherwise, if all 3 of these are pretty much the same, then Im sure it
    makes most sense to go for the cheapest.

    , Apr 21, 2006

  2. Matt Ion Guest

    wrote:
    > I am from canada and will probably be buying a digital slr in the near
    > future. FutureShop's website shows 3 different Canon Digital Rebel XT
    > Digital SLR cameras, but I cannot see what is different about them
    > other than the price.
    >
    > There are:
    >
    > 1. "Canon Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for $849
    > ($100 off)
    > 2. "Canon EOS Rebel XT SLR 8.0MP Digital Camera" for $899 ($150 off)
    > 3. "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for
    > $999 ($100 off)
    >
    > So I can see a diff in the "EOS" (whatever that is) but thats about it.
    > If anyone can tell me the main differences, and if its worth to pay
    > the little extra for the most expensive one, then please share.
    > Otherwise, if all 3 of these are pretty much the same, then Im sure it
    > makes most sense to go for the cheapest.

    Sounds like it's just different catalog entries for the same camera.
    Probably be better off calling FS and asking them what the difference is
    in their listing.

    Or better still, don't shop at FS at all. I'd rather buy stuff from a
    guy on the street than give FS my money.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0616-4, 04/21/2006
    Tested on: 4/21/2006 8:59:06 AM

    Matt Ion, Apr 21, 2006

  3. Debbie Guest

    I am a photographer, and I too was having a difficult trying to figure
    out which camera to buy. And the best for price for the money.

    What I did is I went to the links that have the full specifications on
    the camera, and printed it up. Printed each camera that I was
    interested in.

    After I found the camera I wanted I then googled it for the lowest
    price.

    I can tell you I understand you frustration. I ended up with a Olympus
    Digital SLR. I don't recommend my camera only because I have specific
    needs for professional use and it was the best buy. I also like the
    lenses that SLR.

    Here is a link for specs on the camera you are looking for.

    D. L. Yates Multi-Media Artist/Photographer,
    http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/specs.aspx?itemId=1671356&stext=

    Debbie, Apr 21, 2006
  4. Julie T Guest

    wrote:
    > I am from canada and will probably be buying a digital slr in the near
    > future. FutureShop's website shows 3 different Canon Digital Rebel XT
    > Digital SLR cameras, but I cannot see what is different about them
    > other than the price.
    >
    > There are:
    >
    > 1. "Canon Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for $849
    > ($100 off)
    > 2. "Canon EOS Rebel XT SLR 8.0MP Digital Camera" for $899 ($150 off)
    > 3. "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for
    > $999 ($100 off)
    >
    > So I can see a diff in the "EOS" (whatever that is) but thats about
    > it. If anyone can tell me the main differences, and if its worth to
    > pay the little extra for the most expensive one, then please share.
    > Otherwise, if all 3 of these are pretty much the same, then Im sure it
    > makes most sense to go for the cheapest.

    Possibly kit lenses in the more expensive ones. Check the spec in more
    detail.
    Just guessing I'd suspect $849 body only, $899 probably has the 18-55mm
    lens and the $999 a different kit lens.

    --
    Julie
    -------

    Julie T, Apr 21, 2006
  5. Jim Townsend Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:

    > Or better still, don't shop at FS at all. I'd rather buy stuff from a
    > guy on the street than give FS my money.

    You'll probably get a better price if you shop around. FS tends to
    be a little high priced for digital cameras.

    Jim Townsend, Apr 21, 2006
  6. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am from canada and will probably be buying a digital slr in the near
    > future. FutureShop's website shows 3 different Canon Digital Rebel XT
    > Digital SLR cameras, but I cannot see what is different about them
    > other than the price.
    >
    > There are:
    >
    > 1. "Canon Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for $849
    > ($100 off)
    > 2. "Canon EOS Rebel XT SLR 8.0MP Digital Camera" for $899 ($150 off)
    > 3. "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for
    > $999 ($100 off)
    >
    > So I can see a diff in the "EOS" (whatever that is) but thats about it.
    > If anyone can tell me the main differences, and if its worth to pay
    > the little extra for the most expensive one, then please share.
    > Otherwise, if all 3 of these are pretty much the same, then Im sure it
    > makes most sense to go for the cheapest.

    Hi.

    Seems like you are not really up to speed on Camera Models and their
    Specifications.

    Why don't you do a bit of research on Cameras before you start looking for
    where to buy at what prices.

    Have a look at these sites first.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/

    Roy G

    Roy G, Apr 21, 2006
  7. Bill Hilton Guest

    >FutureShop's website shows 3 different Canon Digital Rebel XT
    >Digital SLR cameras, but I cannot see what is different about
    >them other than the price.

    These look like the same camera model so it could be that the cheaper
    one is a demo or was returned and repackaged, or as Julie suggested
    they may be bundled with various kit lenses, though usually that's
    mentioned up front.

    Bill Hilton, Apr 21, 2006
  8. jean Guest

    Future Shop is very hard to decipher, but I think it's like this:

    $849 is body only (in black)
    $899 is with kit* lens (in silver/grey)
    $999 is with kit* lens (in black)

    All three are after a $100 mail in rebate

    Jean

    The kit lens is the 18-55 EFS, good lens for $100-$150, not a spectacular
    lens, but an honest performer.

    jean, Apr 21, 2006
  9. Dave Cohen Guest

    "Roy G" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >>I am from canada and will probably be buying a digital slr in the near
    >> future. FutureShop's website shows 3 different Canon Digital Rebel XT
    >> Digital SLR cameras, but I cannot see what is different about them
    >> other than the price.
    >>
    >> There are:
    >>
    >> 1. "Canon Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for $849
    >> ($100 off)
    >> 2. "Canon EOS Rebel XT SLR 8.0MP Digital Camera" for $899 ($150 off)
    >> 3. "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for
    >> $999 ($100 off)
    >>
    >> So I can see a diff in the "EOS" (whatever that is) but thats about it.
    >> If anyone can tell me the main differences, and if its worth to pay
    >> the little extra for the most expensive one, then please share.
    >> Otherwise, if all 3 of these are pretty much the same, then Im sure it
    >> makes most sense to go for the cheapest.
    >>

    > Hi.
    >
    > Seems like you are not really up to speed on Camera Models and their
    > Specifications.
    >
    > Why don't you do a bit of research on Cameras before you start looking for
    > where to buy at what prices.

    Seems you are well up on cameras, so why didn't you tell us the difference,
    because it's less than intituitive from the quoted ad. But don't bother,
    others seem to be willing to be more helpful.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 21, 2006
  10. J. Clarke Guest

    wrote:

    > I am from canada and will probably be buying a digital slr in the near
    > future. FutureShop's website shows 3 different Canon Digital Rebel XT
    > Digital SLR cameras, but I cannot see what is different about them
    > other than the price.
    >
    > There are:
    >
    > 1. "Canon Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for $849
    > ($100 off)

    This appears to be the body only, no lens.

    > 2. "Canon EOS Rebel XT SLR 8.0MP Digital Camera" for $899 ($150 off)

    This appears to be the silver version with the 18-55 lens and a mail-in
    rebate for $100.

    > 3. "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for
    > $999 ($100 off)

    This appears to be the black version of 2, and no mail-in rebate, hence the
    higher price.

    Click the "more info" links and you'll find a bit more description of each.

    > So I can see a diff in the "EOS" (whatever that is) but thats about it.
    > If anyone can tell me the main differences, and if its worth to pay
    > the little extra for the most expensive one, then please share.
    > Otherwise, if all 3 of these are pretty much the same, then Im sure it
    > makes most sense to go for the cheapest.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Apr 22, 2006
  11. Rod Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > I am from canada and will probably be buying a digital slr in the near
    > future. FutureShop's website shows 3 different Canon Digital Rebel XT
    > Digital SLR cameras, but I cannot see what is different about them
    > other than the price.
    >
    > There are:
    >
    > 1. "Canon Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for $849
    > ($100 off)
    > 2. "Canon EOS Rebel XT SLR 8.0MP Digital Camera" for $899 ($150 off)
    > 3. "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for
    > $999 ($100 off)
    >
    > So I can see a diff in the "EOS" (whatever that is) but thats about it.
    > If anyone can tell me the main differences, and if its worth to pay
    > the little extra for the most expensive one, then please share.
    > Otherwise, if all 3 of these are pretty much the same, then Im sure it
    > makes most sense to go for the cheapest.

    There is no difference in the camera body. The only difference could be,
    black, silver, with lens, and without lens.

    Rod Williams, Apr 22, 2006
  12. Roy G Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message

    > "Roy G" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>>I am from canada and will probably be buying a digital slr in the near
    >>> future. FutureShop's website shows 3 different Canon Digital Rebel XT
    >>> Digital SLR cameras, but I cannot see what is different about them
    >>> other than the price.
    >>>
    >>> There are:
    >>>
    >>> 1. "Canon Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for $849
    >>> ($100 off)
    >>> 2. "Canon EOS Rebel XT SLR 8.0MP Digital Camera" for $899 ($150 off)
    >>> 3. "Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera - Black" for
    >>> $999 ($100 off)
    >>>
    >>> So I can see a diff in the "EOS" (whatever that is) but thats about it.
    >>> If anyone can tell me the main differences, and if its worth to pay
    >>> the little extra for the most expensive one, then please share.
    >>> Otherwise, if all 3 of these are pretty much the same, then Im sure it
    >>> makes most sense to go for the cheapest.
    >>>

    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> Seems like you are not really up to speed on Camera Models and their
    >> Specifications.
    >>
    >> Why don't you do a bit of research on Cameras before you start looking
    >> for where to buy at what prices.

    > Seems you are well up on cameras, so why didn't you tell us the
    > difference, because it's less than intituitive from the quoted ad. But
    > don't bother, others seem to be willing to be more helpful.
    > Dave Cohen
    >>
    >> Have a look at these sites first.
    >>
    >> http://www.steves-digicams.com/
    >>
    >> http://www.imaging-resource.com/
    >>
    >> Roy G

    Hi.

    All very true, and others are explaining the possibilities, but if the
    original poster does not know that "EOS" is the range name, then they are
    probably unaware of the differences in Lenses, and might not even know that
    DSLRs can be bought without a Lens.

    I think they really need to study up a bit more than they have done, so that
    they can understand what is being offered for sale.

    Admittedly this advert seems to be totally misleading, which is probably a
    very good reason for going elsewhere.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Apr 22, 2006
  13. Walter Banks Guest

    I bought a Digital rebel XT from a camera shop today a few blocks from Future Shop about $50 less than FS wanted.

    w..

    Walter Banks, Apr 24, 2006