    transparent and it still wiped out the vlans.

    Thanks in Advance

    Paul
    Paul Hardy, Apr 10, 2004

  2. Add the new switch to your existing VTP domain within
    the VLAN database first (mode server)
    then set-up a trunk link between the old and new switch
    and connect them.

    The advertisements will happily populate your new switch
    with your VLAN info.

    "Paul Hardy" <> wrote in message
    > I need to add a new switch to our vlans, twice when i have done this in

    the

    Simon Marsden, Apr 10, 2004

  3. Paul Hardy

    Guest

    If you'all were doing lots of playing with the switch prior to adding it to
    the VTP domain. Set the VTP mode to client, or verify that the VTP version
    is not higher than other switches in the domain. The switch with the highest
    VTP version will perform the advertisements and could cause you some
    configuration problems.

    The CIsco recommendation is set the VTP mode to client for a new installed
    switch, the switch will then only listen to advertisements and add the Vlan
    he learns. A switch acting as a client will not allow you to make changes to
    the VTP domain.
    , Apr 10, 2004
  4. Paul Hardy

    Guest

    Actually the preferred Cisco method is to configure the VTP mode as client
    before adding it to the network. The will prevent accidental deletion of
    VLAN from other switches in the event the the switch you are adding has a
    higher VTP version number.
    , Apr 11, 2004
  5. Paul Hardy

    ashley Guest

    "Paul Hardy" <> wrote in message
    > I need to add a new switch to our vlans, twice when i have done this in

    the
    > past I end up loosing the vlans from the existing switches, and so the
    > network goes down.
    >
    > I think its to do with the vlan database mode but I had the last one set
    > transparent and it still wiped out the vlans.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    >
    > Paul

    Make sure that the new switch does not have a higher config revision number
    than the current network config revision number in use, this can be done by
    setting the vtp domain name to NULL and then back to the name in use in your
    current network, this resets the config revision number to zero.
    ashley, Apr 11, 2004
  6. Paul Hardy

    Paul Hardy Guest

    Thanks for all the help, I will add the switch tommorow

    Paul

    Paul Hardy, Apr 12, 2004
  7. Paul Hardy

    Jeremy Ward Guest

    ashley wrote:
    > "Paul Hardy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I need to add a new switch to our vlans, twice when i have done this in

    > the
    >
    >>past I end up loosing the vlans from the existing switches, and so the
    >>network goes down.
    >>
    >>I think its to do with the vlan database mode but I had the last one set
    >>transparent and it still wiped out the vlans.
    >>
    >>Thanks in Advance
    >>
    >>Paul
    >>

    > Make sure that the new switch does not have a higher config revision number
    > than the current network config revision number in use, this can be done by
    > setting the vtp domain name to NULL and then back to the name in use in your
    > current network, this resets the config revision number to zero.

    The easy way is to install the switch in client mode with the same VTP
    domain name. This way the new switch will only listen to the existing
    VLANs.

    Make sure that you have a couple of Switches in Server mode and then the
    rest in client.

    ...Jerry
    Jeremy Ward, May 10, 2004
  8. Paul Hardy

    mh Guest

    Do you self a favor and when you have time change all of your switchs
    to VTP transparent mode.

    All that VTP does is screw things up !!!
    mh, May 11, 2004