    only works 20% of the time.

    Thanks.

    OM
    OM, Nov 14, 2006

  2. OM

    Mr.Muppster Guest

    "OM" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can someone tell me what the cheapest way to call 0845 and 0870 numbers
    > is?
    >
    > I accept that I have to make a payment to make the call.
    > (Or is there a way round this!?)
    > But surely... there must be a 'cheapest' way to call...?
    >
    > Ya I've tried this one: ask the number being called for a landline.
    > They don't always know or want to tell.
    >
    > I try the trick of asking for an international number: but this I find
    > only works 20% of the time.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    I always find this site useful for checking the cheapest way to call various
    numbers.

    http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/ukcallchecker/index.php

    HTH

    Mr.M
    Mr.Muppster, Nov 14, 2006

  3. In message <>, OM
    <> writes

    Your 'first port of call ' should be www.saynoto0870.com
    Malcolm Loades, Nov 14, 2006
  4. OM

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "OM" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me what the cheapest way to call 0845
    > and 0870 numbers is?

    Don't..!

    If you absolutely must (and I wouldn't unless it was a matter of life &
    death and even then I'd think about it..!) then www.saynoto0870.com may
    have an alternative.

    Unless you're specifically asking for a VoIP solution, have you asked in
    uk.telecom..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Nov 14, 2006
  5. OM

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:57:06 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"OM" <> wrote in message
    >> Can someone tell me what the cheapest way to call 0845
    >> and 0870 numbers is?

    >Don't..!
    >
    >If you absolutely must (and I wouldn't unless it was a matter of life &
    >death and even then I'd think about it..!) then www.saynoto0870.com may
    >have an alternative.
    >
    >Unless you're specifically asking for a VoIP solution, have you asked in
    >uk.telecom..?
    >
    >Ivor

    O2 allow 0870,0845,0844 numbers as inclusive minutes. If you do a lot
    of calling to these numbers it might be worth a contract.
    Alternatively, 18185 offers cheapish rates.
    I haven't come across any particularly cheap VOIP rates to these
    numbers.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Nov 14, 2006
  6. OM

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    OM wrote:
    > Can someone tell me what the cheapest way to call 0845 and 0870 numbers
    > is?

    If you are calling to purchase then when they answer say "Do you want my
    business? If so call me back on xxxxxxxxxx"

    I hate 0870 sales lines, that really takes the piss along with 0870
    complaint lines.

    If you are calling for support, then 0870 is reasonable (in my opinion)
    to cover running costs.
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 14, 2006
  7. OM

    Graham Guest

    "OM" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me what the cheapest way to call 0845 and 0870 numbers
    > is?
    >
    > I accept that I have to make a payment to make the call.
    > (Or is there a way round this!?)
    > But surely... there must be a 'cheapest' way to call...?
    >
    > Ya I've tried this one: ask the number being called for a landline.
    > They don't always know or want to tell.
    >
    > I try the trick of asking for an international number: but this I find
    > only works 20% of the time.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    You can make 0845 calls by dialling a geographic dial-through
    (Hemel Hempstead) 01442 826823
    http://www.pre-dial.com
    I understand the above number is a pre launch trial so don't expect
    it to last forever.
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Nov 14, 2006
  8. OM

    Never Worked Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:27:26 -0000, Graham wrote:

    >You can make 0845 calls by dialling a geographic dial-through
    >(Hemel Hempstead) 01442 826823

    During its short life it never worked for 0845 or 0870.

    >http://www.pre-dial.com
    >I understand the above number is a pre launch trial so don't expect
    >it to last forever.

    Pre-launch has already finished (although it never offered 0845/0870
    anyway). How does pre-dial.com get into the picture?
    Never Worked, Nov 14, 2006
  9. OM

    Graham Guest

    "Never Worked" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? Þ @ Þ ?="> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:27:26 -0000, Graham wrote:
    >
    >>You can make 0845 calls by dialling a geographic dial-through
    >>(Hemel Hempstead) 01442 826823

    > During its short life it never worked for 0845 or 0870.
    >
    >>http://www.pre-dial.com
    >>I understand the above number is a pre launch trial so don't expect
    >>it to last forever.

    > Pre-launch has already finished (although it never offered 0845/0870
    > anyway). How does pre-dial.com get into the picture?

    I never said it worked for 0870
    It worked for 0845 at 9:30 this evening when I made
    my posting! now there is no answer. I can't help thinking
    this isn't a coincidence.

    The OP in this thread suggests that http://www.pre-dial.com
    are involved.
    http://snipurl.com/126lg
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Nov 14, 2006
  10. OM

    Guest

    Graham wrote:
    > "Never Worked" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? Þ @ Þ ?="> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:27:26 -0000, Graham wrote:
    > >
    > >>You can make 0845 calls by dialling a geographic dial-through
    > >>(Hemel Hempstead) 01442 826823

    > > During its short life it never worked for 0845 or 0870.
    > >
    > >>http://www.pre-dial.com
    > >>I understand the above number is a pre launch trial so don't expect
    > >>it to last forever.

    > > Pre-launch has already finished (although it never offered 0845/0870
    > > anyway). How does pre-dial.com get into the picture?

    > I never said it worked for 0870
    > It worked for 0845 at 9:30 this evening when I made
    > my posting! now there is no answer. I can't help thinking
    > this isn't a coincidence.
    >
    > The OP in this thread suggests that http://www.pre-dial.com
    > are involved.
    > http://snipurl.com/126lg
    > --
    >
    > Graham.
    > %Profound_observation%

    Whenever i ring the 01442 number from my landline i get ringing tone no
    reply!
    , Nov 15, 2006
  11. OM

    Martin² Guest

    >Your 'first port of call ' should be www.saynoto0870.com

    Sometimes you can find alternatives by just searching the internet, or
    getting an email address,
    (e.g. you can cancel lost Nectar card online, or you can call gov. 0845
    lines from their tax / other offices )
    but if nothing else works take your business elsewhere !
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Nov 15, 2006