What's the Cause of Bad DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bob, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I get a DVD which plays OK in a standalone player hooked to the TV. I
    rip it with a Sony DW-D26A using DVDDecryptor. The rip appears to go
    smoothly - no obvious glitches. Then I process the files with
    DVDShrink, again no obvious problems. The I burn a DVD-R blank disk
    using Nero 6.

    What causes some of the DVDs to have defects, parts of the movie which
    plays very slowly, jumps past small segments or won't play at all?

    Is it the original DVD, the Sony DVD hardware, the ripper software,
    the encoder, the Sony burner, the burning software, the blank discs?

    What is the most likely cause of this problem?

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "The possession of arms is the distinction
    between a free man and a slave."
    -- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)
    Bob, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Bob

    Mark Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:31:54 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >I get a DVD which plays OK in a standalone player hooked to the TV. I
    >rip it with a Sony DW-D26A using DVDDecryptor. The rip appears to go
    >smoothly - no obvious glitches. Then I process the files with
    >DVDShrink, again no obvious problems. The I burn a DVD-R blank disk
    >using Nero 6.
    >
    >What causes some of the DVDs to have defects, parts of the movie which
    >plays very slowly, jumps past small segments or won't play at all?
    >
    >Is it the original DVD, the Sony DVD hardware, the ripper software,
    >the encoder, the Sony burner, the burning software, the blank discs?
    >
    >What is the most likely cause of this problem?

    My money is on the blanks. Some aren't worth spit.

    Check out www.videohelp.com and see how your media is rated.
    Mark, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Bob

    pilgrim Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:31:54 GMT, somebody wrote:

    >I get a DVD which plays OK in a standalone player hooked to the TV. I
    >rip it with a Sony DW-D26A using DVDDecryptor. The rip appears to go
    >smoothly - no obvious glitches. Then I process the files with
    >DVDShrink, again no obvious problems. The I burn a DVD-R blank disk
    >using Nero 6.
    >
    >What causes some of the DVDs to have defects, parts of the movie which
    >plays very slowly, jumps past small segments or won't play at all?
    >
    >Is it the original DVD, the Sony DVD hardware, the ripper software,
    >the encoder, the Sony burner, the burning software, the blank discs?
    >
    >What is the most likely cause of this problem?

    Sounds like bad media to me. A lot of the folks on these newsgroups say to
    try different brands of blank discs until you find a brand that plays OK
    after having been burned on your DVD burner, then always use (only) that
    brand.

    HTH. Good luck...

    pilgrim
    pilgrim, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Bob

    Neil Maxwell Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:08:33 -0500, pilgrim <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:31:54 GMT, somebody wrote:
    >
    >>What causes some of the DVDs to have defects, parts of the movie which
    >>plays very slowly, jumps past small segments or won't play at all?

    >Sounds like bad media to me. A lot of the folks on these newsgroups say to
    >try different brands of blank discs until you find a brand that plays OK
    >after having been burned on your DVD burner, then always use (only) that
    >brand.

    You might try writing at half the max speed; that is, if it's an 8x
    burner and blanks, write at 4x. My NEC burners have been very
    reliable, but I recently bought some CMC blanks by accident (I usually
    use Ricoh).

    About 1/3 of these failed verification at 8x, all passed at 4x. I'll
    be testing them for whether they die any faster over time, but I'm
    betting they will. More on this in a year or so...

    I write everything I want to last for very long at 1/2 the max burner
    speed, verify everything after burn, and carefully select blanks.

    Neil Maxwell, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    wrote:

    >Sounds like bad media to me. A lot of the folks on these newsgroups say to
    >try different brands of blank discs until you find a brand that plays OK
    >after having been burned on your DVD burner, then always use (only) that
    >brand.

    That's two posters with the same answer.

    My first suspicion was bad media too. We got a stack of cheap crap
    from Best Buy. Personally I would not buy a truck load of pig shit
    from Best Buy, but my son works near one and the siren song was too
    luring.

    He contends that we have bad originals, but I disagree on the basis
    that the ripper does not complain about the rip.

    Is it true that if the ripper, DVDDecrypter in our case, would alert
    us to a bad rip? Put the other way, if the ripper does not alert us,
    then is it safe to assume that the rip is good?

    Similarly I would imagine that a bad rip would cause the DVD burner to
    alert us. IOW, if nothing alerts us along the rip chain of events,
    then the only thing left is bad media - or so I would imagine.

    We have Nero 6 which has a DVD Identifier, so we need to use it. I
    used one for CDs and always got Japanese CDs because they were the
    only manufacturers who did blank CDs right. Tayio Yuden was the
    prefered maker - never had one coaster out of several hundred burns.

    Bob, Jun 29, 2005
  6. Bob

    The Wizard Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    |I get a DVD which plays OK in a standalone player hooked to the TV. I
    | rip it with a Sony DW-D26A using DVDDecryptor. The rip appears to go
    | smoothly - no obvious glitches. Then I process the files with
    | DVDShrink, again no obvious problems. The I burn a DVD-R blank disk
    | using Nero 6.
    |
    | What causes some of the DVDs to have defects, parts of the movie which
    | plays very slowly, jumps past small segments or won't play at all?
    |
    | Is it the original DVD, the Sony DVD hardware, the ripper software,
    | the encoder, the Sony burner, the burning software, the blank discs?
    |
    | What is the most likely cause of this problem?

    Hollywood is the cause of bad movies ;-)

    Seriously, As other posters have already mentioned, Sometimes even blanks
    get a bad batch in whether high or budget quality.

    Another suggestion, You are'nt doing anything else on your PC whilst the
    burn is taking place are you? This can cause problems (also any programs
    running in the background ideally should be switched off)
    A final problem could be your burner developing a fault?

    T.W.
    The Wizard, Jun 29, 2005
  7. On 6/29/2005, Bob managed to type:
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:08:33 -0500, pilgrim <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds like bad media to me. A lot of the folks on these newsgroups say to
    >> try different brands of blank discs until you find a brand that plays OK
    >> after having been burned on your DVD burner, then always use (only) that
    >> brand.

    > That's two posters with the same answer.
    >
    > My first suspicion was bad media too. We got a stack of cheap crap
    > from Best Buy. Personally I would not buy a truck load of pig shit
    > from Best Buy, but my son works near one and the siren song was too
    > luring.

    <SNIP>

    I have to ask: then where _would_ you buy a truckload of pigshit?

    It would be good to know.

    This is probably off-topic :)

    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251
    Gene E. Bloch, Jun 29, 2005
  8. Bob

    The Wizard Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    | On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:08:33 -0500, pilgrim <>
    | wrote:
    |
    | >Sounds like bad media to me. A lot of the folks on these newsgroups say
    | >try different brands of blank discs until you find a brand that plays OK
    | >after having been burned on your DVD burner, then always use (only) that
    | >brand.
    |
    | That's two posters with the same answer.
    |
    | My first suspicion was bad media too. We got a stack of cheap crap
    | from Best Buy. Personally I would not buy a truck load of pig shit
    | from Best Buy, but my son works near one and the siren song was too
    | luring.
    |
    | He contends that we have bad originals, but I disagree on the basis
    | that the ripper does not complain about the rip.
    |
    | Is it true that if the ripper, DVDDecrypter in our case, would alert
    | us to a bad rip? Put the other way, if the ripper does not alert us,
    | then is it safe to assume that the rip is good?
    |
    | Similarly I would imagine that a bad rip would cause the DVD burner to
    | alert us. IOW, if nothing alerts us along the rip chain of events,
    | then the only thing left is bad media - or so I would imagine.
    |
    | We have Nero 6 which has a DVD Identifier, so we need to use it. I
    | used one for CDs and always got Japanese CDs because they were the
    | only manufacturers who did blank CDs right. Tayio Yuden was the
    | prefered maker - never had one coaster out of several hundred burns.

    Well, DVD Decryptor or DVD Shrink will halt on a bad disc (Say one that has
    a bad scratch) and you'll find it difficult to continue past that point on
    the original.
    I've always found if it's ripped 100% then it should in theory burn
    o-k...You can always open shrink and play the movie that's copied to your
    hard drive and play it in full screen mode by double clicking the preview
    pane :))

    T.W.
    The Wizard, Jun 29, 2005
  9. Bob

    Abe Guest

    >I get a DVD which plays OK in a standalone player hooked to the TV. I
    >rip it with a Sony DW-D26A using DVDDecryptor. The rip appears to go
    >smoothly - no obvious glitches. Then I process the files with
    >DVDShrink, again no obvious problems. The I burn a DVD-R blank disk
    >using Nero 6.
    >
    >What causes some of the DVDs to have defects, parts of the movie which
    >plays very slowly, jumps past small segments or won't play at all?
    >
    >Is it the original DVD, the Sony DVD hardware, the ripper software,
    >the encoder, the Sony burner, the burning software, the blank discs?
    >
    >What is the most likely cause of this problem?

    -------
    Besides all the answers about bad media, the player can be at fault
    also. I've had 2 Toshiba players (SD-4700 and SD-4800) that always had
    problems with recordable media. I finally got a Panasonic (DVD-F87K),
    and it plays everything flawlessly.
    Abe, Jun 29, 2005
  10. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:17:51 GMT, "The Wizard"
    <> wrote:

    >Hollywood is the cause of bad movies ;-)

    Not my collection.

    >Seriously, As other posters have already mentioned, Sometimes even blanks
    >get a bad batch in whether high or budget quality.

    It is my contention that Best Buy sells crap.

    >Another suggestion, You are'nt doing anything else on your PC whilst the
    >burn is taking place are you? This can cause problems (also any programs
    >running in the background ideally should be switched off)
    >A final problem could be your burner developing a fault?

    What evidence would we see other than bad DVDs?

    Bob, Jun 29, 2005
  11. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:20:22 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
    <> wrote:

    >I have to ask: then where _would_ you buy a truckload of pigshit?

    Just pull up to Best Buy and fill up with the cheapest crap in the
    store.

    We expect low-end to be less quality, but we do not expect it to be no
    quality. When all of a sudden half your DVDs are no good, you know you
    have been had.

    Bob, Jun 29, 2005
  12. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:22:51 GMT, "The Wizard"
    <> wrote:

    >Well, DVD Decryptor or DVD Shrink will halt on a bad disc (Say one that has
    >a bad scratch) and you'll find it difficult to continue past that point on
    >the original.

    That's what I thought.

    >I've always found if it's ripped 100% then it should in theory burn
    >o-k...You can always open shrink and play the movie that's copied to your
    >hard drive and play it in full screen mode by double clicking the preview
    >pane :))

    We have done that on a couple occasions and the rip seems to play OK.
    We were concerned that it could play like that but when it gets burned
    onto a DVD, it wouldn't play for some unexplained reason(s).

    I believed the culprit was crappy blanks and now you all are
    confirming it. At least now we are keeping the rip on HD until we have
    had a chance to screen the DVD. That saves having to re-acquire the
    original.

    What frosts my gonads is that it seems that the defect is always at
    the best part. For example, I watched Hannibal on the original disc
    and then we cloned it and I watched it again, but this time the damn
    thing crapped out right where Hannibal has that prick FBI criminal for
    supper. The part where he takes a slice of the FBI prick's exposed
    brain, sautes it ever so delicately and then gets the guy to eat it is
    priceless.

    Bob, Jun 29, 2005
  13. Maybee doze toesheebus but, toesheeba sd-r5112 is vowy goood indid.

    Who dair, Who dat, Jun 29, 2005
  14. Bob

    thesatguy Guest

    Circuit City

    thesatguy, Jun 30, 2005
  15. Bob

    thesatguy Guest

    Okay, first step would be to playback movie on your computer first before
    trying to write it to anything and make sure it IS okay - if it doesn't
    playback exactly the way you intended it to you need to fix that problem
    before you try to write it.

    Likely culprits seem to be:
    1. bad video codec and/or bad audio codec,
    2. not the codecs your particular dvd writing program wants to use (even if
    they were the right ones),
    3. not enough memory on your computer,
    4. plenty of memory but too much stuff loaded - unload everything and just
    run the dvd writing program,
    5. crappy dvd's and this is a tough one cause there are now a jillion
    choices at the computer store and they come at a jillion different prices
    for the exact same thing. Are the store brand as good as the national
    brand? The store brand may actually be the national brand but that doesn't
    mean they are the same quality - the store chose quantity over quality to
    get a good deal and often its a bad deal. Often the quality seems to vary
    on brands you have found to be good in the past.
    6. only buy dvd-rw's so you can do them over until you get them right and
    then write a dvd-r. When I started doing this I found many times the dvd
    writing programs would tell you they could not erase the original dvd's
    which on first glance suggest the dvd's were simply bad to begin with.
    However after a bit I tried some of those bad dvd's with another writing
    program and suddenly the dvd's that could not be erased using NERO were just
    fine when erased by something else. I have found that the only thing sure
    about NERO is that it runs differently every darn time and half the time it
    works great and the other half when you put the dvd into your player it says
    it cannot be played. But you can play it on your computer. DvdFab works
    good about half the time. Windvd seems to work most every time but it it
    soooo slooow you hate to use it.
    7. select the slowest record speed and see if you get better results that
    way.

    Best of luck.

    thesatguy, Jun 30, 2005
  16. Bob

    Lance Guest

    The others have valid points and I've been where you are now.

    My secret to success was to buy a $100 DVD player that was designed to
    play DVD +/-R/RW's. In my case it was a Sony DVP-NS575P.

    Previously I was using a ~4 year old Sony player. It would play most of
    my burns just fine, but would have exasperating problems with just a few
    of my burns - sometimes it wouldn't even recognize there was a disk in
    the drive.

    Lance
    *****

    Lance, Jun 30, 2005
  17. Bob

    Ed Nicol Guest

    I was going to go down the same line myself Neil, I've had many disks that
    have burnt at max speed and have been fine but after too many coasters I now
    write all my dvd's at no more than 1/2 the rated speed of the disk. It's a
    pain in the ass sometimes but always get a decent result even with cheap
    media.
    Another problem could be that Bob (original postee) could be asking DVD
    shrink to just compress too far, I've had this trouble with a few movies
    that push a disk size of 7Gb or more, breaks my heart to do it but I just
    skip the extra features and subtitles and languages and usually have no
    problems from there ( I use DVD Decrypter & DVD2ONE so cant say if DVD
    shrink has same option to remove.)
    MisterEd

    Ed Nicol, Jun 30, 2005
  18. Bob

    Kev & Sue Guest

    I had exactly the same problem about a year ago . I searched high and low
    for the answers and found i needed 2 things .
    1 :- ENDITALL 2
    2 :- Always re-author the disk in shrink ( Just grab the Main Movie File and
    dump it on the right hand side )
    Since taking these steps I haven't had a coaster or a glitch
    Try it ( Even on the "PIGS SHIT" )
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised .
    MC
    Kev & Sue, Jun 30, 2005
  19. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 03:47:25 GMT, "thesatguy"
    <> wrote:

    >>> My first suspicion was bad media too. We got a stack of cheap crap
    >>> from Best Buy. Personally I would not buy a truck load of pig shit
    >>> from Best Buy, but my son works near one and the siren song was too
    >>> luring.

    >> I have to ask: then where _would_ you buy a truckload of pigshit?
    >> It would be good to know.
    >> This is probably off-topic :)

    >Circuit City

    I fully agree. I hate those bastards.

    I wanted to get a Supra modem 10 years ago and they were the only ones
    in town with one on the shelf. But they could not answer a technical
    question about it, so I told them I would try it out and if it worked
    I would keep it. But if it did not work out I wanted to bring it back
    for full refund.

    Pricks told me I would have to pay a huge "restocking" fee if I
    brought it back. I asked to talk to the manager and he said the same
    thing. I looked him straight in the eye and told him I was confident
    enough that I had the right unit so I would buy it, but I would NEVER
    buy anything again from Circuit City. He just laughed.

    And I kept my word.

    I wouldn't piss on their guts if they were on fire.

    Bob, Jun 30, 2005
  20. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 04:14:24 GMT, "thesatguy"
    <> wrote:

    >Okay, first step would be to playback movie on your computer first before
    >trying to write it to anything and make sure it IS okay - if it doesn't
    >playback exactly the way you intended it to you need to fix that problem
    >before you try to write it.

    As mentioned in my original post, that's exactly what I did in those
    instances where the DVD failed and I still had the original disc
    available.

    >Likely culprits seem to be:
    >1. bad video codec and/or bad audio codec,

    We use DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink - latest versions. We have gotten
    good burns before. Anyway, wouldn't those programs alert the user to
    problems from bad originals?

    >2. not the codecs your particular dvd writing program wants to use (even if
    >they were the right ones),

    We use Nero 6 to burn.

    >3. not enough memory on your computer,

    1 GB RAM.

    >4. plenty of memory but too much stuff loaded - unload everything and just
    >run the dvd writing program,

    As long as there is ample headroom, that should make no difference.

    >5. crappy dvd's and this is a tough one cause there are now a jillion
    >choices at the computer store and they come at a jillion different prices
    >for the exact same thing.

    I am almost 100% convinced that is what happened. My son bought some
    cheap crap at Best Buy - Memorex I believe. WalMart sells Memorex too,
    so you know it has to be ChiCom crap.

    When he bought FujiFilm blanks we have NO coasters at all. I believe
    FujiFilm buys from Yario Yuden (sp?) which is the maker of superior
    quality CD in Japan. I know that for CDs you must use only Japanese
    blanks, so the same must be true of DVD blanks.

    >6. only buy dvd-rw's so you can do them over until you get them right and
    >then write a dvd-r.

    DVD -R blanks are cheap enough not to need to do that. We do not want
    to monkey with arcane technologies like RW. They most likely won't
    play in the standalone anyway.

    >7. select the slowest record speed and see if you get better results that
    >way.

    Someone suggested burning at half the max speed.

    I have read in the reviews that manufacturers have short-changed
    development upgrades on the slowest speeds because they believe no one
    uses them anymore so why waste time on them. The problem is they are
    not up to date so they are worse than higher speeds.

    Bob, Jun 30, 2005