What's the better way to contact Chinese restaurant owner?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bread Kong, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. Bread Kong

    Bread Kong Guest

    Hi,

    I am a postgraduate student of Tsinghua University and major in
    Information System. Our team are trying to finish a project related to
    Beijing Olympic Game 2008. The project's goal is to figure out and
    show the differences for Chinese food between native China and western
    counties. As you know, when in Rome do as Romans do, Chinese food does
    the same in your country. For example, in Unite States, even though
    the same dish, compare to the one in native China, they are different,
    maybe totally different taste. There are some popular Chinese food
    dishes in U.S. but you cannot find in China. And more interesting,
    something maybe caused by custom and culture, as you know, almost in
    every America Chinese restaurant, they will give you the fortune
    cookie after you had meal. But nobody knows such thing in China.
    Actually, this is our project on research to know how many of them
    between our Chinese food and yours.

    Our mission is to help more and more people to know the culture of
    China via Chinese food whatever they are coming to Beijing for Olympic
    Game 2008 or not. And this is also a way to let our people learn the
    world outside.

    After some research work, we came out this idea to contact Chinese
    restaurant's owner (or Chef) in U.S.. We think they should know such
    differences very well since they do business in the different world
    market. And they still keep in traditional way to cook for them self.
    So far, there are many problems needed to solve. Ex. We have almost 12
    hours difference in time zone. So it's hard to phone those
    restaurant's owner from Beijing China and cost is high too. We have
    searched for their e-mail address from Internet. Unfortunately, 99% of
    them don't have it or unavailable.

    We hope we can collect 1000 samples to the date to finish done with
    the project. So this is why I post here looking for help. Any
    suggestion or information will be very appreciate. Or if you can list
    your favorite Chinese food for us will be also big help for our
    research.

    Thanks in advance and happy Chinese New Year here!

    BTW, you can contact via or
    , Gmail is preferred since it's easier to manage.

    Bread
    Bread Kong, Feb 7, 2008

  2. Bread Kong wrote:

    > I am a postgraduate student of Tsinghua University and major in
    > Information System. Our team are trying to finish a project related to
    > Beijing Olympic Game 2008. The project's goal is to figure out and
    > show the differences for Chinese food between native China and western
    > counties. As you know, when in Rome do as Romans do, Chinese food does
    > the same in your country. For example, in Unite States, even though
    > the same dish, compare to the one in native China, they are different,
    > maybe totally different taste. There are some popular Chinese food
    > dishes in U.S. but you cannot find in China. And more interesting,
    > something maybe caused by custom and culture, as you know, almost in
    > every America Chinese restaurant, they will give you the fortune
    > cookie after you had meal. But nobody knows such thing in China.
    > Actually, this is our project on research to know how many of them
    > between our Chinese food and yours.

    Here in the States we rate our Chinese restaurants by several indicators.
    The first one is to always look at their dumpsters and nearby. The first
    indicator of a crappy Chinese restaurant is you will find at least one 50Kg
    cardboard drum of MSG. You will never find food scraps in the dumpster as
    the leftovers are scraped off the plates and resold. A low dog and cat
    population is also an indicator. And chicken is not a "red meat" in the
    States as it is in China.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 7, 2008

  3. Bread Kong

    Mr. G D Geen Guest

    Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    > Bread Kong wrote:
    >
    >> I am a postgraduate student of Tsinghua University and major in
    >> Information System. Our team are trying to finish a project related to
    >> Beijing Olympic Game 2008. The project's goal is to figure out and
    >> show the differences for Chinese food between native China and western
    >> counties. As you know, when in Rome do as Romans do, Chinese food does
    >> the same in your country. For example, in Unite States, even though
    >> the same dish, compare to the one in native China, they are different,
    >> maybe totally different taste. There are some popular Chinese food
    >> dishes in U.S. but you cannot find in China. And more interesting,
    >> something maybe caused by custom and culture, as you know, almost in
    >> every America Chinese restaurant, they will give you the fortune
    >> cookie after you had meal. But nobody knows such thing in China.
    >> Actually, this is our project on research to know how many of them
    >> between our Chinese food and yours.

    > Here in the States we rate our Chinese restaurants by several indicators.
    > The first one is to always look at their dumpsters and nearby. The first
    > indicator of a crappy Chinese restaurant is you will find at least one 50Kg
    > cardboard drum of MSG. You will never find food scraps in the dumpster as
    > the leftovers are scraped off the plates and resold. A low dog and cat
    > population is also an indicator. And chicken is not a "red meat" in the
    > States as it is in China.
    >

    > Rita

    The fortune cookie is a uniquely American invention. It was developed
    in San Diego in the mid to late 1800 during the gold rush. Why is still
    a mystery. :)

    -G
    Mr. G D Geen, Feb 7, 2008
  4. Bread Kong

    Mr. G D Geen Guest

    Mr. G D Geen wrote:
    > Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    >> Bread Kong wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am a postgraduate student of Tsinghua University and major in
    >>> Information System. Our team are trying to finish a project related to
    >>> Beijing Olympic Game 2008. The project's goal is to figure out and
    >>> show the differences for Chinese food between native China and western
    >>> counties. As you know, when in Rome do as Romans do, Chinese food does
    >>> the same in your country. For example, in Unite States, even though
    >>> the same dish, compare to the one in native China, they are different,
    >>> maybe totally different taste. There are some popular Chinese food
    >>> dishes in U.S. but you cannot find in China. And more interesting,
    >>> something maybe caused by custom and culture, as you know, almost in
    >>> every America Chinese restaurant, they will give you the fortune
    >>> cookie after you had meal. But nobody knows such thing in China.
    >>> Actually, this is our project on research to know how many of them
    >>> between our Chinese food and yours.

    >> Here in the States we rate our Chinese restaurants by several indicators.
    >> The first one is to always look at their dumpsters and nearby. The first
    >> indicator of a crappy Chinese restaurant is you will find at least one
    >> 50Kg
    >> cardboard drum of MSG. You will never find food scraps in the
    >> dumpster as
    >> the leftovers are scraped off the plates and resold. A low dog and cat
    >> population is also an indicator. And chicken is not a "red meat" in the
    >> States as it is in China.
    >>

    >> Rita
    >>

    > The fortune cookie is a uniquely American invention. It was developed
    > in San Diego in the mid to late 1800 during the gold rush. Why is still
    > a mystery. :)
    >
    > -G

    Oops, that should be San Francisco. Got San Diego on the mind for some
    reason. -G
    Mr. G D Geen, Feb 7, 2008
  5. Bread Kong

    Guest

    err... well, in fact, there is one chinese restaurant I frequent...
    so, even though this isn't originally a photo related question,
    I, as a photographer, can relate to it(!).
    Sounds like an interesting project... but really I think
    it would be better to compare, say, the way "chinese" is
    prepared in Japanese cities... or other asian places... only
    because, in US restaurants, the chinese basically ends at
    the sign and decor... the restaurant I like serves pizza...
    hotdogs wrapped in bisquits... on and on... the one vaguely
    chinese dish I like is the "general something's" chicken...
    basically, your chicken wings basted in honey sauce.
    The fish makes me ill, though I do like, also, the
    corn with shrimp.

    I doubt this will help, but again it will probably be
    better to survey in places where they keep more closely
    to chinese food standards ?

    Good luck.
    , Feb 7, 2008
  6. Bread Kong

    Charles Guest

    Have no idea why you posted here but my favorites are egg drop soup and egg
    rolls.
    Charles, Feb 7, 2008
  7. "Mr. G D Geen" <> wrote:
    >Mr. G D Geen wrote:
    >> The fortune cookie is a uniquely American invention.
    >> It was developed in San Diego in the mid to late 1800
    >> during the gold rush. Why is still a mystery. :)
    >> -G

    >Oops, that should be San Francisco. Got San Diego on the mind for some
    >reason. -G

    Regardless, you didn't get anything about it right.

    For a long time it was claimed that Fortune Cookies
    originated in either Los Angeles or San Francisco, but
    the earliest dates are just after 1900.

    However, there are pictures from Japan made in the
    1870's of a bakery making Fortune Cookies. And there
    are references in a Japanese book published in the first
    half of the 1800's that describe them.

    Rather clearly the idea came to the US from Japan.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Feb 8, 2008
  8. Bread Kong

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 18:56:58 -0500, "Charles" <>
    wrote:
    :
    : Have no idea why you posted here but my favorites are egg drop soup and egg
    : rolls.

    Mine are noodles with hot peanut sauce and shrimp with rice and pea pods.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Feb 8, 2008
  9. Bread Kong

    Paul Furman Guest

    Bread Kong wrote:

    > We hope we can collect 1000 samples to the date to finish done with
    > the project. So this is why I post here looking for help. Any
    > suggestion or information will be very appreciate. Or if you can list
    > your favorite Chinese food for us will be also big help for our
    > research.

    Take a look at the reviews here: http://www.yelp.com/c/sf/chinese
    People describe their favorites.
    Paul Furman, Feb 8, 2008
  10. Bread Kong

    Bread Kong Guest

    On Feb 8, 1:02 am, wrote:
    > err... well, in fact, there is onechineserestaurant I frequent...
    > so, even though this isn't originally a photo related question,
    > I, as a photographer, can relate to it(!).
    >      Sounds like an interesting project... but really I think
    > it would be better to compare, say, the way "chinese" is
    > prepared in Japanese cities... or other asian places... only
    > because, in US restaurants, thechinesebasically ends at
    > the sign and decor... the restaurant I like serves pizza...
    > hotdogs wrapped in bisquits... on and on... the one vaguelychinesedish I like is the "general something's" chicken...
    > basically, your chicken wings basted in honey sauce.
    >      The fish makes me ill, though I do like, also, the
    > corn with shrimp.
    >
    >      I doubt this will help, but again it will probably be
    > better to survey in places where they keep more closely
    > tochinesefood standards ?
    >
    >      Good luck.

    Thanks for the information and comment. Actually, I have no idea where
    I can put this post since this is very widely topic and everyone has
    it own experience for Chinese food. We are gathering people's reply
    and comment to figure out what we can do next. Thanks again.
    Bread Kong, Feb 8, 2008
  11. Bread Kong

    Bread Kong Guest

    On Feb 8, 7:56 am, "Charles" <> wrote:
    > Have no idea why you posted here but my favorites are egg drop soup and egg
    > rolls.

    Sorry for widely broadcast. But thanks for your reply.
    Bread Kong, Feb 8, 2008
  12. Bread Kong

    Bread Kong Guest

    On Feb 8, 11:42 am, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > Bread Kong wrote:
    >
    > > We hope we can collect 1000 samples to the date to finish done with
    > > the project. So this is why I post here looking for help. Any
    > > suggestion or information will be very appreciate. Or if you can list
    > > your favoriteChinesefood for us will be also big help for our
    > > research.

    > Take a look at the reviews here:http://www.yelp.com/c/sf/chinese
    > People describe their favorites.

    Thanks for the information!
    Bread Kong, Feb 8, 2008
  13. Bread Kong

    Bread Kong Guest

    On Feb 8, 8:40 am, (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
    > "Mr. G D Geen" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Mr. G D Geen wrote:
    > >> The fortune cookie is a uniquely American invention.
    > >> It was developed in San Diego in the mid to late 1800
    > >> during the gold rush.  Why is still a mystery. :)
    > >> -G

    > >Oops, that should be San Francisco.  Got San Diego on the mind for some
    > >reason.  -G

    > Regardless, you didn't get anything about it right.
    >
    > For a long time it was claimed that Fortune Cookies
    > originated in either Los Angeles or San Francisco, but
    > the earliest dates are just after 1900.
    >
    > However, there are pictures from Japan made in the
    > 1870's of a bakery making Fortune Cookies.  And there
    > are references in a Japanese book published in the first
    > half of the 1800's that describe them.
    >
    > Rather clearly the idea came to the US from Japan.
    >
    > --
    > Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson>
    > Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Thanks again, Floyd! It's great to know.
    Bread Kong, Feb 8, 2008
  14. Bread Kong

    N Guest

    "Bread Kong" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a postgraduate student of Tsinghua University and major in
    > Information System. Our team are trying to finish a project related to
    > Beijing Olympic Game 2008. The project's goal is to figure out and
    > show the differences for Chinese food between native China and western
    > counties. As you know, when in Rome do as Romans do, Chinese food does
    > the same in your country. For example, in Unite States, even though
    > the same dish, compare to the one in native China, they are different,
    > maybe totally different taste. There are some popular Chinese food
    > dishes in U.S. but you cannot find in China. And more interesting,
    > something maybe caused by custom and culture, as you know, almost in
    > every America Chinese restaurant, they will give you the fortune
    > cookie after you had meal. But nobody knows such thing in China.
    > Actually, this is our project on research to know how many of them
    > between our Chinese food and yours.
    >
    > Our mission is to help more and more people to know the culture of
    > China via Chinese food whatever they are coming to Beijing for Olympic
    > Game 2008 or not. And this is also a way to let our people learn the
    > world outside.
    >
    > After some research work, we came out this idea to contact Chinese
    > restaurant's owner (or Chef) in U.S.. We think they should know such
    > differences very well since they do business in the different world
    > market. And they still keep in traditional way to cook for them self.
    > So far, there are many problems needed to solve. Ex. We have almost 12
    > hours difference in time zone. So it's hard to phone those
    > restaurant's owner from Beijing China and cost is high too. We have
    > searched for their e-mail address from Internet. Unfortunately, 99% of
    > them don't have it or unavailable.
    >
    > We hope we can collect 1000 samples to the date to finish done with
    > the project. So this is why I post here looking for help. Any
    > suggestion or information will be very appreciate. Or if you can list
    > your favorite Chinese food for us will be also big help for our
    > research.
    >
    > Thanks in advance and happy Chinese New Year here!
    >
    > BTW, you can contact via or
    > , Gmail is preferred since it's easier to manage.
    >
    > Bread

    There are lots of newsgroups with "food" in their names and some of those
    also have the word "asian".

    However, reading through the responses so far, I've not heard of many of the
    dishes mentioned. Perhaps we have different "chinese" food here in
    Australia.
    N, Feb 8, 2008
  15. Bread Kong

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    "Charles" <> wrote in message

    > Have no idea why you posted here but my favorites are egg drop soup and
    > egg rolls.

    I couldn't find egg drop soup anywhere in China.
    Ed Mullikin, Feb 9, 2008