Whats the better router, Dlink or DSE?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by samg, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. samg

    samg Guest

    Figure its about time I upgraded to jetstream, just wondering what router I
    should buy. Telecom has a deal where you get a dlink 504g and two filters
    for $160. http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,5123,202933-202556,00.html

    The router itself is $167 on ascent - includes specs

    The Dick Smith router is on special, $30 off, now $130 but need to buy two
    filters anyway so theres not much difference between the two.

    http://tinyurl.com/3jm97

    Looking for comments as to which would be the better option, or should I be
    looking at something else entirely? Dynalink?

    Done a lot of reading, sounds like some routers have to be turned off every
    few days while others cant handle all the connections while running
    bittorrent, emule etc. This still a concern? And what about hardware
    firewall over software, worth paying extra?

    samg, Oct 8, 2004

  2. samg

    EMB Guest

    samg wrote:

    I have both - a D-link running at my father's place, and DSE ones at
    home & work (and have installed about 30 other DSE ones for friends and
    clients). The DSE routers seem stable and haven't given any trouble
    over the last 2 years or so. The first D-link was fscked right out of
    the box and the current D-link has locked up a several times and needed
    to be bounced to restore connectivity.

    I'd run with the DSE one.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Oct 8, 2004

  3. samg

    X Guest

    Go with the dicksmith one, it uses the conexant chipset.
    The beauty of this is that there are loads of different companies
    supplying firmware for this chipset. What this means is basically you
    can flash your dicksmith router to another companies firmware and gain
    extra features as easily as that.

    There are far better firmwares for the dicksmith router than the
    firmware produced by dicksmith.

    So I suggest this.

    Get a dicksmith router and then upgrade it billion's firmware which offers

    Stateful packet inspection firewall
    UPNP
    Dynamic IP updating
    Intrusion checking and alerting
    plus lots lots more than DWE's firmware doesnt have, of course it
    supports all the features that DSE has also.

    The list goes on, but its far superior to dicksmiths.
    If at anytime you change your mind you can simply download the
    dicksmiths firmware and flash back to that, thats the great thing about
    all these companies using the same chipset :).

    If you decide to do this yell out, its very easy to flash it.

    X, Oct 8, 2004
  4. samg

    JohnO Guest

    "X" <> wrote in message
    > Go with the dicksmith one, it uses the conexant chipset.
    > The beauty of this is that there are loads of different companies
    > supplying firmware for this chipset. What this means is basically you
    > can flash your dicksmith router to another companies firmware and gain
    > extra features as easily as that.
    >
    > There are far better firmwares for the dicksmith router than the
    > firmware produced by dicksmith.
    >
    > So I suggest this.
    >
    > Get a dicksmith router and then upgrade it billion's firmware which offers
    >
    > Stateful packet inspection firewall
    > UPNP
    > Dynamic IP updating
    > Intrusion checking and alerting
    > plus lots lots more than DWE's firmware doesnt have, of course it
    > supports all the features that DSE has also.
    >
    > The list goes on, but its far superior to dicksmiths.
    > If at anytime you change your mind you can simply download the
    > dicksmiths firmware and flash back to that, thats the great thing about
    > all these companies using the same chipset :).
    >
    > If you decide to do this yell out, its very easy to flash it.

    No risk of ending up with a failed flashed unit that can't be re-flashed?

    I've got a Puretek brand cheapie adsl modem router and an ActionTek one.
    Both are conexant based. You reckon it's safe to flash them with the Billion
    code?

    JohnO, Oct 8, 2004
  5. samg

    X Guest

    > No risk of ending up with a failed flashed unit that can't be re-flashed?
    >
    > I've got a Puretek brand cheapie adsl modem router and an ActionTek one.
    > Both are conexant based. You reckon it's safe to flash them with the Billion
    > code?

    No, no worries about that, they can always be reflashed in their
    "emergency mode" which is basically just setting a jumper on a couple of
    pins inside the router and connecting a usb cable.

    This is actually the best and only way to flash some of the firmwares.
    Even DSE provide instructions on using this method, so its nothing too
    dogey dont worry :).

    To upgrade to billionware its just a matter of burning an .ISO and
    booting that up and following the instructions.

    www.adsltech.com's forums have huge discussions on the different
    firmwares with people discussion the merits of each one but it seems
    that billion's is accepted as being the most feature rich and stable
    currently around.

    If you go into ths status of your current router what does it show your
    current firmware version to be and showtime in those routers you have?

    X, Oct 8, 2004
  6. "X" <> wrote in message

    >> No risk of ending up with a failed flashed unit that can't be re-flashed?
    >>
    >> I've got a Puretek brand cheapie adsl modem router and an ActionTek one.
    >> Both are conexant based. You reckon it's safe to flash them with the
    >> Billion
    >> code?
    >>

    > No, no worries about that, they can always be reflashed in their
    > "emergency mode" which is basically just setting a jumper on a couple of
    > pins inside the router and connecting a usb cable.
    >
    > This is actually the best and only way to flash some of the firmwares.
    > Even DSE provide instructions on using this method, so its nothing too
    > dogey dont worry :).
    >
    > To upgrade to billionware its just a matter of burning an .ISO and booting
    > that up and following the instructions.
    >
    > www.adsltech.com's forums have huge discussions on the different firmwares
    > with people discussion the merits of each one but it seems that billion's
    > is accepted as being the most feature rich and stable currently around.
    >
    > If you go into ths status of your current router what does it show your
    > current firmware version to be and showtime in those routers you have?

    Hey, do you have a link to this 'billion' firmware most appropriate for the
    DSE router?

    Jed Meisterdude, Oct 8, 2004
  7. samg

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:46:24 +1300, samg wrote:

    > Figure its about time I upgraded to jetstream, just wondering what router I
    > should buy.

    Sorry people, but is it not which router, not what router.

    Gordon, Oct 8, 2004
  8. samg

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:55:02 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > samg wrote:
    >
    > I have both - a D-link running at my father's place, and DSE ones at
    > home & work (and have installed about 30 other DSE ones for friends and
    > clients). The DSE routers seem stable and haven't given any trouble
    > over the last 2 years or so. The first D-link was fscked right out of
    > the box and the current D-link has locked up a several times and needed
    > to be bounced to restore connectivity.
    >
    > I'd run with the DSE one.

    So we have to wonder if EMB has any $ interest in saying this ;-)

    Gordon, Oct 8, 2004
  9. samg

    X Guest

    > Hey, do you have a link to this 'billion' firmware most appropriate for the
    > DSE router?

    This page has the firmware
    http://www.users.on.net/~shonky/

    The particular one you want to download is this one
    Make sure you get the firmware for 711CE
    (http://www.users.on.net/~shonky/711CE_B213_ISO.zip)

    billions site is
    www.billion.com.au

    adsltechs pages on upgrading
    http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1014&KW=shonky

    1) Burn the ISO

    2. Turn router off open it up and Place jumper (shunt) on the jumper
    pins* (Located in centre/right of PC Board)
    3. Connect USB cable.
    4. Connect AC Adaptor. Switch on the router.
    5. Type "flash /e" to erase old firmware.<- very important
    6. Type "upgrade" to flash the firmware. When Flash program asks for
    "starting MAC address" and "ending MAC address",
    just press "ENTER" for each.<- do NOT use your router's MAC address,
    just press ENTER
    7. Switch off the router. Remove AC adaptor.
    8. Remove USB Cable.
    9. Remove jumper from the jumper pins*
    10. Close casing and refit screws.
    11. Reconnect cables (USB/Ethernet, ADSL, AC Adaptor)
    12. Reboot PC and switch on router
    PLEASE NOTE - IT MAY TAKE UP TO 3 MINUTES FOR THE ROUTER TO FULLY BOOT
    AFTER THE FLASH
    THat upgrades it to version 213 of billions firmware, from there you can
    go to version 300 by using the update firmware option in the routers
    firmware page

    Version 300 can be found .....here.
    http://adsltech.com/download/FirmwareList/2MB_B300.zip

    The ip of this router by default is 192.168.1.254 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

    And you will need to change the encapsulation to pppoA-MUX and vip to 0
    vci to 100 (i think thats what theya re in nz? :))

    If you want to keep a backup of DSE's firmware you can get it from here.
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.st...emplate/1/download/XH1169_Rel9v5_Firmware.zip

    yell out if you have any questions :)

    X, Oct 8, 2004
  10. samg

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:46:24 +1300, samg wrote:
    >
    >> Figure its about time I upgraded to jetstream, just wondering what router
    >> should buy.

    > Sorry people, but is it not which router, not what router.

    We usually save the spelling/grammar flames for wogor (god knows he deserves
    it). And, you should really make sure yours is perfect before critising
    others - "glass houses & stones".

    Ryan Jacobs, Oct 8, 2004

  11. >Get a dicksmith router and then upgrade it billion's firmware which offers

    Why not just buy a Billion router???
    7100S = $105

    Steve Robertson, Oct 8, 2004
  12. samg

    JedMeister Guest

    I will give this a try.

    I've done this once before, when my router was corrupted while changing some
    settings. For some reason the pinhole reset did not work so I was forced to
    re-flash the router using a similar steps you had below.

    At that time, my biggest problem was with using MS-dos, so that there was
    enough space to decompress the firmware and flash the router. The prob was
    that MS-DOS does not support NTFS either, so had to create a ramdisk.

    I'm sure there must have been an easier way, but I am not so technical.

    Thanks for the pointers.

    JedMeister, Oct 8, 2004
  13. Hey good idea, where from?

    Jed Meisterdude, Oct 8, 2004
  14. samg

    Hmmm Guest

    The ISO that was pointed to creates a ramdisk automatically to get
    around that problem, no problem there.

    Hmmm, Oct 8, 2004
  15. It seems like 8 Oct 2004 13:46:24 +1300 was when samg <>
    said Blah blah blah...

    >The Dick Smith router is on special, $30 off, now $130 but need to buy two
    >filters anyway so theres not much difference between the two.
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/3jm97

    Off on a tangent, Quicksilver are selling USB ADSL routers for $99.
    You may have to be their customer first though.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 8, 2004
  16. samg

    samg Guest

    "Jed Meisterdude" <> wrote in

    > Hey good idea, where from?
    >

    > "Steve Robertson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Get a dicksmith router and then upgrade it billion's firmware which offers
    >>>

    >> Why not just buy a Billion router???
    >> 7100S = $105

    PBtech in Hamilton have them for that price, and a 4 port 7100 for $119.
    Sharp price and it includes a filter as well. Looking good, unless someone
    has something negative to say about billion?

    samg, Oct 8, 2004
  17. samg

    -=rjh=- Guest

    X wrote:

    > yell out if you have any questions :)

    No questions (yet) but thanks for the information. There is quite a lot
    to look at there, and this seems to cover the XH1149 model too.

    Sometimes it seems like it just isn't worth wading through and ignoring
    all the crap in nz.comp, then along come a few posts that make it all
    worthwhile.

    Thanks for the really useful posts, X.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 9, 2004
  18. samg

    K Guest

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:18:39 +1300, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:55:02 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> samg wrote:
    >>
    >> I have both - a D-link running at my father's place, and DSE ones at
    >> home & work (and have installed about 30 other DSE ones for friends and
    >> clients). The DSE routers seem stable and haven't given any trouble
    >> over the last 2 years or so. The first D-link was fscked right out of
    >> the box and the current D-link has locked up a several times and needed
    >> to be bounced to restore connectivity.
    >>
    >> I'd run with the DSE one.

    >So we have to wonder if EMB has any $ interest in saying this ;-)

    what you mean you think he might be Dick Smith...... serioulsy even if
    he worked there, why would he care!

    K, Oct 9, 2004

    www.pricespy.co.nz

    Steve Robertson, Oct 9, 2004