    download??....One with
    regular updates PLEASE!! ;o)

    Alice
    Alice J, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Alice J

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Alice J" <> wrote in message
    news:DRJFc.3072$
    >| I need a good virus checker. FREE please.....I don't want AVG
    >| because I heard it fails a lot of tests. I won't use or pay for
    >| kaspersky because I don't trust Russian spammers. And Nortons just
    >| sells rubbish.
    >|
    >| Can someone recommend the best FREE virus checker that I can
    >| download??....One with
    >| regular updates PLEASE!! ;o)
    >|
    >| Alice

    This will get you free for a year - auto updates, all that. And it's better
    than AVG.
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Alice J

    Alice J Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Alice J" <> wrote in message
    >>> I need a good virus checker. FREE please.....I don't want AVG
    >>> because I heard it fails a lot of tests. I won't use or pay for
    >>> kaspersky because I don't trust Russian spammers. And Nortons just
    >>> sells rubbish.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone recommend the best FREE virus checker that I can
    >>> download??....One with
    >>> regular updates PLEASE!! ;o)
    >>>
    >>> Alice

    > This will get you free for a year - auto updates, all that. And it's
    > better than AVG.
    > http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    What happens in one year? I suppose I have to pay then, so that doesn't
    really make it free at all, does it? It just DELAYS the cost. So, can you
    recommend a FREE one, like I asked the first time around?

    Alice
    Alice J, Jul 4, 2004
  4. Alice J wrote:

    > I need a good virus checker. FREE please.....I don't want AVG because I
    > heard it fails a lot of tests. I won't use or pay for kaspersky because I
    > don't trust Russian spammers. And Nortons just sells rubbish.
    >
    > Can someone recommend the best FREE virus checker that I can
    > download??....One with
    > regular updates PLEASE!! ;o)
    >
    > Alice

    Tests are rubbish, it's how it actually performs in the field that
    counts. AVG isn't that bad. But as Tim suggests, eTrust EZ Antivirus is
    very, very good. Also run one of the better online virus checkers every
    now and then and you should be good. Try Trend Housecall.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Alice J

    t gilb Guest

    "Alice J" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > > "Alice J" <> wrote in message

    > > This will get you free for a year - auto updates, all that. And it's
    > > better than AVG.
    > > http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    > What happens in one year? I suppose I have to pay then, so that doesn't
    > really make it free at all, does it? It just DELAYS the cost. So, can you
    > recommend a FREE one, like I asked the first time around?
    >
    > Alice

    You get what you pay for..........
    t gilb, Jul 4, 2004
  6. t gilb wrote:

    > "Alice J" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Alice J" <> wrote in message

    >>>This will get you free for a year - auto updates, all that. And it's
    >>>better than AVG.
    >>>http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    >>What happens in one year? I suppose I have to pay then, so that doesn't
    >>really make it free at all, does it? It just DELAYS the cost. So, can you
    >>recommend a FREE one, like I asked the first time around?
    >>
    >>Alice
    >>

    > You get what you pay for..........

    Old saws like that don't really hold up in computer software. AVG is an
    exception. Adaware is an exception. Linux is an exception. Google is an
    exception. Ad nauseum.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 4, 2004
  7. Alice J

    WormWood Guest

    "Alice J" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > > "Alice J" <> wrote in message

    > > This will get you free for a year - auto updates, all that. And it's
    > > better than AVG.
    > > http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    > What happens in one year? I suppose I have to pay then, so that doesn't
    > really make it free at all, does it? It just DELAYS the cost. So, can you
    > recommend a FREE one, like I asked the first time around?
    >
    > Alice

    Developing an attitude like yours will get you a free invitation to go f**k
    yourself.
    WormWood, Jul 4, 2004
  8. Alice J

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "t gilb" <> wrote in message
    >| "Alice J" <> wrote in message

    >| > What happens in one year? I suppose I have to pay then, so that
    >| > doesn't really make it free at all, does it? It just DELAYS the
    >| > cost. So, can you recommend a FREE one, like I asked the first
    >| > time around?
    >| >
    >| > Alice
    >| >
    >| You get what you pay for..........

    Exactly. Yes, after a year, you pay the annual subscription rate - $10,
    maybe $20. Pretty damn cheap, even for a cheapskate like me. I mean, do you
    change the oil in your car? Do you buy soap to wash your dishes? Do you take
    care of other things in your house that you own and use everyday? Covering
    your PC with some basic protection is an essential...sure you can do it for
    free. And you can wash your dishes without soap. And run your car without
    clean oil. And where does that get you in the end? **Think about it**!

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 4, 2004
  9. Alice J

    Boomer Guest

    "Alice J" <> wrote:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> "Alice J" <> wrote in message

    >> This will get you free for a year - auto updates, all that. And
    >> it's better than AVG.
    >> http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    > What happens in one year? I suppose I have to pay then, so that
    > doesn't really make it free at all, does it? It just DELAYS the
    > cost. So, can you recommend a FREE one, like I asked the first
    > time around?
    >
    > Alice

    Hi

    You might want to read through 'alt.comp.anti-virus'.
    Boomer, Jul 4, 2004
  10. "Alice J" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > > "Alice J" <> wrote in message

    > > This will get you free for a year - auto updates, all that. And it's
    > > better than AVG.
    > > http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    > What happens in one year? I suppose I have to pay then, so that doesn't
    > really make it free at all, does it? It just DELAYS the cost. So, can you
    > recommend a FREE one, like I asked the first time around?

    With replies like that to helpful advice I suggest you get your head out of
    your ass and DYOFHW. In your own post you said you "won't...pay for
    kaspersky because I don't trust Russian spammers" which certainly looks like
    you might be willing to pay if you did trust them.

    AVG is free.

    eTrust is *free* for a year.

    You? You're just a bitch.
    Oxford Systems, Jul 4, 2004
  11. Alice J

    terry_b17 Guest

    terry_b17, Jul 4, 2004
  12. Alice J

    Mellowed Guest

    I think you just 'Struck Out'.

    "Alice J" <> wrote in message
    : Toolman Tim wrote:
    : > "Alice J" <> wrote in message
    : > news:DRJFc.3072$
    : >>> I need a good virus checker. FREE please.....I don't want AVG
    : >>> because I heard it fails a lot of tests. I won't use or pay for
    : >>> kaspersky because I don't trust Russian spammers. And Nortons just
    : >>> sells rubbish.
    : >>>
    : >>> Can someone recommend the best FREE virus checker that I can
    : >>> download??....One with
    : >>> regular updates PLEASE!! ;o)
    : >>>
    : >>> Alice
    : >
    :
    Mellowed, Jul 4, 2004
  13. Alice J

    Sonnie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    www.avast.com download the free edition, one of the best on the market, designed to run on either 32 or 64 bit platforms natively, register and it's good for a year, when it runs out in a year....register it again for another year...and guess what you do after that? Register it again, pretty easy huh? Avast updates whenever there is a new definition available rather just once a day or whatever, and I've never seen it give a false positive, has a very good resident engine as well as being configurable for handy little things like a Boot Scan, so you can scan outside of the Windows environment when your system is giving you greaf. I'd alos recommned using Super Antispyware for stuff that a virus checker wouldnt' typically check for www.superantispyware.com grab the free version, it's good for ever, updates automatically but you do have to initiate a scan with the free version, it's not resident, however the scan picks up stuff that most of the other big ones miss.
    Sonnie, Aug 7, 2007