    I plan on scanning my family's 1500+ old slides (slides with the cardboard
    frames).

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Scott, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Scott

    ralford Guest

    The Dimage is really the only reasonable choice at this price ($300). Nikon
    currently has a $100 rebate on their IV which gets it to around $500; it is
    likely a better scanner and handles noise with dICE. The results from the
    previous model Dimage II are certainly acceptable for most purposes. I have
    examples at http://www.analyticinvestor.com/alford/ScannerTest/Default.htm
    if you are interested. I also have tests from a Nikon IV but haven't
    analyzed them yet...

    If you really intend to scan 1500 slides, be ready to make a career of
    it.... at 8/hour you are looking at some 200 hours scanning....

    You can pick up the Dimage II's for under $200 on eBay.

    Cheers,

    Richard

    ralford, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Scott

    ralford Guest

    I don't suppose you have a comparison with a dedicated film scanner? It
    would make an interesting comparison. Not sure the OP can buy a 990 and the
    rest for $400...

    rma

    ralford, Jul 11, 2003
  4. ralford <> wrote:
    >If you really intend to scan 1500 slides, be ready to make a career of
    >it.... at 8/hour you are looking at some 200 hours scanning....

    Aye. I wonder if it would be simpler, cheaper, to rent time on a 4000 with
    a slide feeder and let it run overnight a lot. Or depending on how much
    his 200 hours is worth to him, buying one and then selling it after.

    Still a huge project.
    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Jul 11, 2003