    would be a must. Suggestions?
    TIA
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Paul Schilter

    wilt Guest

    Why limit yourself to digital photography??? The principles of
    photography are universal, and there is little that applies only to
    digital (apart from the manipulation of photos after they are taken,
    with programs like Photoshop). There is a wealth of information
    already existent over more then 50 years of accumulated knowledge on
    techniques of composing, exposing, lighting. Think of digital as being
    most similar to shooting color slide film.

    --Wilt

    wilt, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Paul Schilter

    Jim Guest

    My favorite is a general photo book which includes digital. Check The New
    Manual of Photography by John Hedgecoe. It is very complete and useful.

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Paul Schilter

    Don Stauffer Guest

    wilt wrote:
    > Why limit yourself to digital photography??? The principles of
    > photography are universal, and there is little that applies only to
    > digital (apart from the manipulation of photos after they are taken,
    > with programs like Photoshop). There is a wealth of information
    > already existent over more then 50 years of accumulated knowledge on
    > techniques of composing, exposing, lighting. Think of digital as being
    > most similar to shooting color slide film.
    >
    > --Wilt

    Amen. In fact, I have started outlining a book I am thinking of
    writing. It will be a book on photography, and will cover both digital
    AND film. It will cover the differences but stress the similarities
    also. I am presently estimating about 70% of the book will be on
    subjects where there is no distinction between the method of image
    capture. Sections such as the nature of light, the nature of the eye
    and human vision, the nature of the scene being photographed, and optics
    (how lenses work) are among the 70% that will not even mention digital
    or film.

    Don Stauffer, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Jim,
    Thanks for the recommendation, I ordered it and also his book on
    digital photography.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Paul Schilter

    Sean O'Dwyer Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Schilter <> wrote:

    >I know that there is probably no one best book on digital photography,
    > but... Are there some well acclaimed books that this august body
    > recommends. This would be some thing that works for the beginner as well
    > as covering more advanced topics. Photos in the book for comparisons
    > would be a must. Suggestions?

    In order of usefulness, I have enjoyed...

    Chris Watson's "The Photographic Guide to Exposure"
    "John Hedgecoe's New Book of Photography"
    Don Marr's "Beginner's Guide to Photographic Lighting"

    Sean

    --

    PHOTO FORTNIGHT
    Two Weeks. One Shot.