What's the actual capacity of Sony's new high-speed 128MB Memory Stick?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Anthony Horan, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. Having just gotten myself a Sony DSC-P72 seriously cheap, I now have to go
    buy a decent-sized Memory Stick for it; I'm looking at 128MB. However,
    there now seems to be two different Sony models available - the original
    purple stick, and a new dark-blue version that claims to be "high-speed"
    (presumably using the same technology as Memory Stick Pro?) and supports
    Magic Gate. And having searched around Google for a bit, I see reports that
    the 256MB Memory Stick Pro only allows the use of 220MB of its storage
    space for the user, the rest being taken up by Magic Gate's evil needs :)
    This seems like a remarkably large slice of memory to lose to something
    digital cameras don't even use. So my questions are:

    * What is the actual user storage capacity of the new dark-blue high-speed
    128MB sticks?

    * Is it correct that the standard purple 128MB stick allows the use of
    123MB for user files?

    * Will my DSC-P72 write to or read from the high-speed stick noticeably
    faster? The camera does support Memory Stick Pro, which going by Sony's
    literature appears to be the same thing as the high-speed (parallel
    transfer) sticks.

    I'd be very grateful for any help on this one; hard info on the capacity
    and compatibility of the various Memory Sticks appears to be hard to find.

    - Anthony

    Anthony Horan, Jun 3, 2004

  2. Replying to myself (is there an echo in here? :) with some info gleaned
    from research. Hopefully those searching for this info in future will find
    this one on Google :)

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:16:12 +1000, Anthony Horan wrote:

    > And having searched around Google for a bit, I see reports that
    > the 256MB Memory Stick Pro only allows the use of 220MB of its storage
    > space for the user, the rest being taken up by Magic Gate's evil needs :)
    > This seems like a remarkably large slice of memory to lose to something
    > digital cameras don't even use.

    With the help of a very patient salesman at a Sony store today, I checked
    out the actual usable memory capacity of a 256MB Pro stick; it came up on a
    VAIO laptop as 223MB, and that figure doesn't take account of the
    obligatory index files and other things created by the camera. So around
    32MB or more has gone AWOL in these sticks.

    > * What is the actual user storage capacity of the new dark-blue high-speed
    > 128MB sticks?

    Here's the interesting part. While I wasn't able to test one in an actual
    machine or camera, the new dark blue Magic Gate 128MB sticks have the
    disclaimer from Sony on the back of the packaging about their usable memory
    space; it's 123MB, same as the purple ones.

    This has me puzzled - why is only 5MB needed for system use on the 128MB
    stick, but over 32MB on the 256MB version? Perhaps it has something to do
    with the "Pro" thing, but since the new dark blue sticks feature the same
    things as the Pro sticks (Parallel transfer, Magic Gate) I can't figure
    what else could be eating valuable RAM on those.

    > * Is it correct that the standard purple 128MB stick allows the use of
    > 123MB for user files?

    Answering my own question, yes it is :)

    > * Will my DSC-P72 write to or read from the high-speed stick noticeably
    > faster? The camera does support Memory Stick Pro, which going by Sony's
    > literature appears to be the same thing as the high-speed (parallel
    > transfer) sticks.

    No confirmation on this question yet, but a spec list for the P72 on the
    Good Guys web site is much more detailed than Sony's own spec sheet, and it
    is specifically mentioned there that the P72 does *not* support high speed
    parallel transfer, but does support the use of the Pro sticks themselves.
    The P73 does appear to support parallel transfer (and hence its "fine"
    30fps movie mode on Pro sticks only, I guess).

    - Anthony

    Anthony Horan, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Anthony Horan

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Re: What's the actual capacity of Sony's new high-speed 128MB MemoryStick?

    Anthony Horan wrote:

    <snip>

    > This has me puzzled - why is only 5MB needed for system use on the 128MB
    > stick, but over 32MB on the 256MB version? Perhaps it has something to do
    > with the "Pro" thing, but since the new dark blue sticks feature the same
    > things as the Pro sticks (Parallel transfer, Magic Gate) I can't figure
    > what else could be eating valuable RAM on those.

    Hi...

    You needn't talk to yourself; I'll talk to you :)

    I'm only guessing, but I'll bet it's related to
    the fat16 sector size...

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jun 4, 2004