What's the 271 exam really like?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Debb, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. Debb

    Debb Guest

    I still can't believe I actually passed the exam after the dreadfully uneven
    weight, of the bulk of the questions, being in the network and domain field.
    I reckon at least 35/40, or more, of the 61 questions were solely related to
    domain and network, which IS my weak spot. I found the exam very hard! I had
    to re read most questions a couple of times at least. I didn't have enough
    time left to finish reviewing all the questions that I'd marked for review.

    I studied MS Press MCDST exam 70-271 and re read the domain and network
    areas 3 times, along with any other technet material I could lay my hands
    on. I simply didn't have any experience in the domain and network area and
    was relying solely on the book. Now having said that, the book did a pretty
    good job in teaching me.... because I passed and I feel that I know some of
    it well enough to be confident!

    At least 5 of the exam questions had no reference at all in the Microsoft
    Press book, so........ expect the unexpected! In fact, the phrasing of the
    exam questions was very different from MeasureUp's and I didn't like it.
    MeasureUp was by far the easier of the two.

    Practicly none of the desktop settings were included, very little hardware
    (my strongest point) and precious little of anything else was included in
    the exam. Only one question about the language bar......... and thank
    goodness there were NONE of those horrid MeasureUp questions about putting a
    solution into the correct order (AGGHHH, I never could get those right even
    when I knew the sequence and had supported it too many times to count)

    The exam was terrible!!! It was so unevenly weighted in my weakest area that
    at about question 45 I just wanted to cry. The heat in the room at 'Advanced
    Learning' (Melbourne, Australia) was comparable only to the mirage
    experience, in the height of a tropical summer going down Knucky Street in
    Darwin (it's bloody hot when the tar begins to melt)!!!! There was no
    ventilation at all in the room and 4 people crammed into a space no bigger
    than 1.5 metres wide x about 3.5 long!!!! Some stupid receptionist kept
    coming up and closing the damned door so we wouldn't be disturbed by the
    noise outside, but we feared we'd all be killed by the heat and had to keep
    opening it.

    Quite a morning! I think I'll go and take something strong for my migraine
    and delay the champagne until after 272 which will be a sinch for me. Good
    luck to you if you're yet to tackle the 271 beasty, and make sure you study
    like there's no tomorrow. Keep doing the MeasureUp practice tests until you
    get at least 90% most of the time. I didn't waste my money on buying
    anything beyond the MS Press book and was happy with what was included. I
    recommend it.
    Debb, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Debb

    Methos Guest

    Sounds like good advice, if I get a similar test I think I'll be happy.
    I work in a very large corp enviro and the SOE is all XP with W2K / W2K3
    servers.
    So running/building/managing XP under a domain I am very familar with.
    Here's hoping
    it helps.

    Also from reading this forum it seems I am somewhat backwards, I took the
    272
    exam first because I expected that to be the harder of the 2 exams. So
    plowed
    in to the MS press books and lots of hands on with my test machines at work.
    Guess its a personal choice.

    I have the MS Press book for 271 as well and start on that one tomorrow,
    (only passed 272 today) so I think I deserve one day off *8)

    Have booked the exam for 11/8/05, nothing like preassure to make you study
    hard.
    I've paid for it now, if I dont put in the yards 2 things happen, 1 I'll
    fail
    2 My wife will kill me LOL.

    Grats on passing 271 Debb !

    Methos, Jul 21, 2005

  3. did you find it harder than the measure up tests?

    AmyAmandaAllen, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Debb

    Debb Guest

    Best of luck to you!

    Debb, Jul 24, 2005
  5. Debb

    Methos Guest

    Yes, it definatly was

    Methos, Jul 25, 2005
  6. Debb

    JGroove Guest

    My experience was very similar. The test started out rather nicely, but
    then it progressively got more difficult. Lots of questions dealing with
    permissions, networks, and domains.
    I used the MeasureUp practice tests (150 questions) which were very
    beneficial and similar to the actual test. I also purchased a book, "MCDST
    Exams" by Timothy L. Warner, which I strongly do not recommend (too many
    issues to list here!).
    During the test, I found myself having to rely on the process of elimination
    more than actually knowing the answer to the question. I honestly felt like
    I'd sub-optimized and was totally surprised to see that I'd scored an 849!
    My advice is to really study permissions, networking (TCP/IP, LMHOSTS,
    NetBIOS, etc.), domain issues, USB issues and you'll do fine.
    My test had 61 questions with 155 minutes to complete the test.
    The best of luck to you.

    JGroove, Jul 26, 2005