    looked and can't seem to find it. Could this be some kind of virus or
    spyware?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    CWhite, Feb 1, 2008

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q1doaXRl?= <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have recently moved all most all of my data from my desktop to a
    > laptop. However, tonight a pop up in the system tray occurred that
    > informed me that my hard drive is almost full. I moved the bulk of
    > what was left on my computer and I still only have about 2 gigs free
    > out of 19 gigs. How can I determine what is taking up so much space
    > so I can get rid of it? I've looked and can't seem to find it. Could
    > this be some kind of virus or spyware?
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    If it is accompanied by a churning sound and lots of hard drive activity
    your paging file is probably causing it. Put more RAM in your laptop to
    alleviate it's pain.

    Red Swingline Stapler, Feb 1, 2008

  3. One of the first things I do is search the hard drive for files that are
    >1MB in size and then sort by size. I typically find stuff that I

    downloaded and had forgotten about so I either delete that stuff or archive
    it to a CD/DVD. It's not the most beautiful solution, but it's worked so
    far for me.

    MG

    Mostly Gizzards, Feb 1, 2008
  4. CWhite

    Guest

    On Feb 1, 2:29 pm, "Mostly Gizzards" <>
    wrote:
    > One of the first things I do is search the hard drive for files that are
    >  >1MB in size and then sort by size.  I typically find stuff that I
    > downloaded and had forgotten about so I either delete that stuff or archive
    > it to a CD/DVD.  It's not the most beautiful solution, but it's worked so
    > far for me.
    >
    > MG
    >
    > "CWhite" <> wrote in message

    > > I have recently moved all most all of my data from my desktop to a
    > > laptop.
    > > However, tonight a pop up in the system tray occurred that informed me
    > > that
    > > my hard drive is almost full.  I moved the bulk of what was left on my
    > > computer and I still only have about 2 gigs free out of 19 gigs.  How can
    > > determine what is taking up so much space so I can get rid of it?  I've
    > > looked and can't seem to find it.  Could this be some kind of virus or
    > > spyware?

    > > Any help will be greatly appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

    There is a tool called TreeSize which is free (Do a google search)
    it's pretty simple to use and will give you a tree view of each
    directory and size and you can drill down to each folder... we use it
    a lot for our test systems which can get bogged down with AV log's and
    such...

    , Feb 3, 2008
  5. CWhite

    Karl Snooks Guest

    CWhite,
    If you get a chance, let us know what operating system, size of HD, amount
    of ram.

    In the meantime, perform following tasks in order given:
    1) chkdsk, (Win+R|cmd.exe|OK || Chkdsk C: /r || exit || reboot computer
    and wait,wait,wait and wait for chkdsk to finish.

    2) DiskCleanup (if your OS offers this) Start|Programs|Accessories|System
    Tools|Disk Cleanup
    3) Defrag (also a "system tool" or use dfrg.msc)

    You can also win+E|rtclk on the drive|choose "Properties"|Tools tab. this
    will allow to perform chkdsk and defrag.

    karl

    Karl Snooks, Feb 24, 2008