    features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    know what to do with it.
    canon paora, Jan 14, 2006

  2. canon paora

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    "canon paora" <> wrote:

    > I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    > features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    > getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    > know what to do with it.

    Oh, no special features. It's like Apple stuff -- limited features but
    what it does it does very smoothly and unobtrusively and Just Works.

    The good points:

    - no pop-ups

    - no annoying ads (there are ads but they're out of the way)

    - fast. On my 2 Ghz machine it's about as fast as an email program
    running locally. Slower for some things, faster for others (search!).
    On my old 266 MHz machine gmail is faster all around.

    - so much space you'll never neeed to delete mail. I've been using
    gmail since June 2004. They said I could have 1 GB of space. Well,
    I've got 299 MB of mail sitting there now, so it looks as if 1 GB would
    only last me about five years, but in the meantime they've increased the
    quota to 2684 MB, whcih should be good for a dozen years of mail. And
    it's increasing all the time.

    - excellent spam filtering. I have my own domain with my own mail
    server, and I like to keep all my email on my own machine for safety,
    but ... I forward all my mail to gmail and then have my home machine
    pick it up from gmail instead of from my own server, and gmail removes
    90+% of the spam so I never have to download it to NZ.

    I like gmail. But if you're happy with yahoo then, no problem, just
    stick with them.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Jan 14, 2006

  3. canon paora

    -=rjh=- Guest

    canon paora wrote:
    > I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    > features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    > getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    > know what to do with it.

    POP3 access and mail forwarding are both good, and not often provided by
    other free webmail services.

    Autosave while composing new mail is a great feature, especially if
    using webmail with unreliable networks; you don't lose any of a message
    you might have been writing when dialup times out, for example. You just
    recover your message next time you log in. You can also edit from
    multiple systems - for example, start a message from one system (and
    stay logged in), continue with another.

    The mail editor even makes a reasonable quick and dirty online HTML
    editor, produces clean HTML. I've started using it as a writing tool
    accessible from multiple locations. Better than a wordprocesor.

    Ability to receive large attachments, store your own backups, etc.
    Google seems to have killed off the gdrive application, I can't seem to
    get this to work now.

    Watching the advertising change as you type an email is often
    interesting; sometimes Google is spot on with their adverts - at the
    same time, they aren't intrusive (yet) and are easily ignored.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 14, 2006
  4. -=rjh=- wrote:
    > canon paora wrote:
    >
    >> I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    >> features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    >> getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    >> know what to do with it.
    >>

    > POP3 access and mail forwarding are both good, and not often provided by
    > other free webmail services.

    True. However, cjb.net has had complete subdomain redirection for a long
    time. More useful than forwarding a single GMail account to another.

    > Autosave while composing new mail is a great feature, especially if
    > using webmail with unreliable networks; you don't lose any of a message
    > you might have been writing when dialup times out, for example. You just
    > recover your message next time you log in. You can also edit from
    > multiple systems - for example, start a message from one system (and
    > stay logged in), continue with another.

    HTTP is not stateful, a broken connection is not necessarily going to
    impact on sumission of e-mail. It depends entirely on how the server
    manages states, and what criteria is used to allow the submission to
    continue.

    The worst thing about this is it sounds like scripts have to be run on
    the client system. A reason not to use GMail at all.

    > The mail editor even makes a reasonable quick and dirty online HTML
    > editor, produces clean HTML. I've started using it as a writing tool
    > accessible from multiple locations. Better than a wordprocesor.

    HTML... again, reason not to use GMail. I bet HTML is on by default? Evil.

    > Watching the advertising change as you type an email is often
    > interesting; sometimes Google is spot on with their adverts - at the
    > same time, they aren't intrusive (yet) and are easily ignored.

    And yet another reason not to use GMail. Scripts, worse still, serving ads.

    To answer the OPs message... there is nothing good about GMail IMO.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Jan 14, 2006
  5. canon paora

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <FtZxf.14644$>,
    le (S Roby) wrote:

    > In article <>, "canon
    > paora" <> wrote:
    > >I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    > >features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    > >getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    > >know what to do with it.
    > >

    > Does GMAIL delete all your mail if you dont logon for a while??
    > -Ive lost of lots mail in my hotmail a/c because of this

    No.

    They are google. So far they are not evil. Hotmail is Microsoft.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Jan 14, 2006
  6. canon paora

    S Roby Guest

    S Roby, Jan 14, 2006
  7. T'was the 13 Jan 2006 16:08:30 -0800 when I remembered "canon paora"
    <> saying something like this:

    >I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    >features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    >getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    >know what to do with it.

    If you're sending emails backwards and forwards, they're all in
    context like browsing newsgroups in Agent, which is cool. Not having
    to delete emails. Ever. Ever. That's a cool idea. Pretty much I use it
    as my full time email client now since it's always with me and it does
    everything I need from a web interface.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jan 14, 2006
  8. canon paora

    Vincent Vega Guest

    "canon paora" <> wrote in message
    >I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    > features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    > getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    > know what to do with it.

    The POP3 and SMTP access is great. I use my gmail now as my primary email
    account for sending and receiving through Outlook. It will archive
    everything I send and receive on their servers so I can access my old emails
    anywhere. Instead of archiving in Outlook I now just delete my old emails as
    I'll always have a copy on gmail. And if I change ISPs then there's no need
    to change email address.
    Vincent Vega, Jan 14, 2006
  9. T'was the Sat, 14 Jan 2006 15:20:57 +1300 when I remembered The Other
    Guy <> saying something like this:

    >HTTP is not stateful, a broken connection is not necessarily going to
    >impact on sumission of e-mail. It depends entirely on how the server
    >manages states, and what criteria is used to allow the submission to
    >continue.
    >
    >The worst thing about this is it sounds like scripts have to be run on
    >the client system. A reason not to use GMail at all.

    Yes it's true that the AJAX version of gmail uses scripts. But there
    is a basic HTML version of gmail if you don't like the idea of running
    scripts client side.

    >> The mail editor even makes a reasonable quick and dirty online HTML
    >> editor, produces clean HTML. I've started using it as a writing tool
    >> accessible from multiple locations. Better than a wordprocesor.

    >HTML... again, reason not to use GMail. I bet HTML is on by default? Evil.

    It wasn't for me.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jan 14, 2006
  10. canon paora

    MarkH Guest

    le (S Roby) wrote in

    > In article <>,
    > "canon paora" <> wrote:
    >>I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    >>features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    >>getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    >>know what to do with it.
    >>

    > Does GMAIL delete all your mail if you dont logon for a while??
    > -Ive lost of lots mail in my hotmail a/c because of this

    Hotmail is a pain because they delete your mail if you don't use the
    account for 30 days. With GMail they only wipe your mail if you don't use
    the account for 90 days.

    I have had my Hotmail account reset several times because it is not unusual
    to ignore the account for 6-8 weeks, but with GMail I would have to ignore
    the account for over 12 weeks for that to happen.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Jan 14, 2006
  11. canon paora

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:06:50 +0000, MarkH wrote:

    > le (S Roby) wrote in
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> "canon paora" <> wrote:
    >>>I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    >>>features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    >>>getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    >>>know what to do with it.
    >>>

    >> Does GMAIL delete all your mail if you dont logon for a while??
    >> -Ive lost of lots mail in my hotmail a/c because of this

    > Hotmail is a pain because they delete your mail if you don't use the
    > account for 30 days. With GMail they only wipe your mail if you don't use
    > the account for 90 days.
    >
    > I have had my Hotmail account reset several times because it is not unusual
    > to ignore the account for 6-8 weeks, but with GMail I would have to ignore
    > the account for over 12 weeks for that to happen.

    If you read it that little, then why have it? For me, the fact that they
    forcibly rewrite the reply to: address makes it worse than useless except
    for offline storage.
    Steve, Jan 14, 2006
  12. canon paora

    steve Guest

    canon paora wrote:

    > I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    > features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    > getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    > know what to do with it.

    It's webmail with a big mailbox.

    What else were you looking for? :)
    steve, Jan 14, 2006
  13. canon paora

    Richard Guest

    canon paora wrote:
    > I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    > features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    > getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    > know what to do with it.

    Nothing really, they were the first to do the 2 gigs thing,

    You get no folder, just tags that you add to messages which is a pain in the ass

    the pop3 access isnt really that viable when you have lots of mail in there,
    imap or http would be good.

    With the windows live mail having 2 gigs in it, and I can access it properly
    from outlook I am back to using that again with my old hotmail address.
    Richard, Jan 14, 2006
  14. canon paora

    MarkH Guest

    Steve <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:06:50 +0000, MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> le (S Roby) wrote in
    >>
    >>> Does GMAIL delete all your mail if you dont logon for a while??
    >>> -Ive lost of lots mail in my hotmail a/c because of this

    >> Hotmail is a pain because they delete your mail if you don't use the
    >> account for 30 days. With GMail they only wipe your mail if you
    >> don't use the account for 90 days.
    >>
    >> I have had my Hotmail account reset several times because it is not
    >> unusual to ignore the account for 6-8 weeks, but with GMail I would
    >> have to ignore the account for over 12 weeks for that to happen.

    > If you read it that little, then why have it? For me, the fact that
    > they forcibly rewrite the reply to: address makes it worse than
    > useless except for offline storage.

    My Hotmail account is only there for receiving stuff from websites where I
    don't want to give them my normal E-Mail address. You know what I mean -
    join for free (valid E-Mail address required) or free download (valid E-
    Mail required for activation code).

    My GMail account is more useful and I sometimes mail small utility files to
    it so that I always have them when needed at a customers site. For
    example: I have a 2.5" external HDD enclosure which required a driver for
    Win98, the driver is on a mini CD that I carry and also in my GMail inbox -
    if the customers CD drive doesn't work I could try their internet
    connection instead.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Jan 14, 2006
  15. canon paora

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:06:50 GMT, MarkH <>
    exclaimed:

    > (S Roby) wrote in
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> "canon paora" <> wrote:
    >>>I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    >>>features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    >>>getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    >>>know what to do with it.
    >>>

    >> Does GMAIL delete all your mail if you dont logon for a while??
    >> -Ive lost of lots mail in my hotmail a/c because of this

    >Hotmail is a pain because they delete your mail if you don't use the
    >account for 30 days. With GMail they only wipe your mail if you don't use
    >the account for 90 days.
    >
    >I have had my Hotmail account reset several times because it is not unusual
    >to ignore the account for 6-8 weeks, but with GMail I would have to ignore
    >the account for over 12 weeks for that to happen.

    Actually, 9 months.

    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6563&topic=1504
    Fred Dagg, Jan 14, 2006
  16. canon paora

    -=rjh=- Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > My GMail account is more useful and I sometimes mail small utility files to
    > it so that I always have them when needed at a customers site. For
    > example: I have a 2.5" external HDD enclosure which required a driver for
    > Win98, the driver is on a mini CD that I carry and also in my GMail inbox -
    > if the customers CD drive doesn't work I could try their internet
    > connection instead.

    Hah, I've already had somebody else mail me a similar utility file for
    just that purpose! (thanks Sharktyymbfj)

    Another thing I've used gmail for is converting a pdf to html, you just
    mail it to yourself at gmail, and look at the attachment in a web
    browser - goggle will do the conversion for you, if the file isn't too
    big (about 1MB max, I think)
    -=rjh=-, Jan 14, 2006
  17. canon paora

    -=rjh=- Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> canon paora wrote:
    >>
    >>> I signed up for god knows what reason the other day. What special
    >>> features does it have? With all the fuss and hype over having or
    >>> getting a gmail account I feel like I have a 12 inch dick and I don't
    >>> know what to do with it.
    >>>

    >> POP3 access and mail forwarding are both good, and not often provided
    >> by other free webmail services.

    > True. However, cjb.net has had complete subdomain redirection for a long
    > time. More useful than forwarding a single GMail account to another.

    I'm sorry, I can't see how subdomain redirection even compares to what
    gmail are offering - have you even used gmail? You can set up filters
    (as in any regular email client) that allow you do deal with each email
    individually, and forward each email to a different address based on
    criteria you set.

    >> Autosave while composing new mail is a great feature, especially if
    >> using webmail with unreliable networks; you don't lose any of a
    >> message you might have been writing when dialup times out, for
    >> example. You just recover your message next time you log in. You can
    >> also edit from multiple systems - for example, start a message from
    >> one system (and stay logged in), continue with another.

    > HTTP is not stateful, a broken connection is not necessarily going to
    > impact on sumission of e-mail. It depends entirely on how the server
    > manages states, and what criteria is used to allow the submission to
    > continue.

    It isn't going to necessarily not impact on the submission of email
    either, and I'd take the conservative failsafe approach any day. It
    sounds like this has never happened to you, but especially on dialup, if
    you compose a long message on somewhere like mail.com, and the
    connection times out, when you press submit, your message just
    disappears. Google seem to be aware enough of this problem to implement
    a system that fixes it. Full credit for that - it is something that all
    of the previous webmail services should have done anyway. It took a
    newcomer to the business to show them how to do it.

    > The worst thing about this is it sounds like scripts have to be run on
    > the client system. A reason not to use GMail at all.

    Get over it - practically all the really neat and useful web (2.0 - yuk)
    applications are running scripts on the client, just as a large number
    of conventional websites already do. If you don't permit any scripts to
    run on your systems, you are going to be missing out on a huge part of
    internet functionality now, and probably won't be even able to access
    large parts of the internet on another five years or so.

    There's a quite remarkable change taking place, and browsers like IE are
    not keeping up; there are several sites that will only work with gecko
    based browsers even now. Not ideal, but this makes a change from sites
    only working with IE.

    And I have no idea how other browsers on non-pc systems are going to
    cope - cellphones, PDAs, internet tablets etc.

    >> The mail editor even makes a reasonable quick and dirty online HTML
    >> editor, produces clean HTML. I've started using it as a writing tool
    >> accessible from multiple locations. Better than a wordprocesor.

    > HTML... again, reason not to use GMail. I bet HTML is on by default? Evil.

    I really dislike HTML for email, but if others want to use it, fine.
    Some people find it easier and useful. I have no idea if HTML is on by
    default, but switching to text is easy.

    >> Watching the advertising change as you type an email is often
    >> interesting; sometimes Google is spot on with their adverts - at the
    >> same time, they aren't intrusive (yet) and are easily ignored.

    > And yet another reason not to use GMail. Scripts, worse still, serving ads.

    For a free service, you have to make some tradeoffs. In this case, the
    advertising is fairly discreet, often you aren't even aware of it, and
    it certainly beats the interstitials that mail.com run for example.
    There aren't any large graphics or flash animations to download, so
    gmail runs quite fast.

    > To answer the OPs message... there is nothing good about GMail IMO.

    Good thing you wrote that - for a while there, I was starting to think
    you were just writing a critique of what *I* like about gmail rather
    than a critique of gmail itself. But you missed a couple of things.

    The OP asked what was great about email, and that was how I replied; but
    there is a downside to gmail. I have concerns about privacy - not that
    that doesn't apply to any other webmail service anyway. I have concerns
    about both message contents (which is easily avoided by using
    encryption) but more importantly, email address harvesting. I'm fairly
    sure that webmail is a major source of email address lists for junk
    mail, so I'm very hesitant to send email to people using any of my free
    webmail accounts.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 14, 2006
  18. canon paora

    MarkH Guest

    Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:06:50 GMT, MarkH <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> (S Roby) wrote in

    >>> Does GMAIL delete all your mail if you dont logon for a while??
    >>> -Ive lost of lots mail in my hotmail a/c because of this

    >>Hotmail is a pain because they delete your mail if you don't use the
    >>account for 30 days. With GMail they only wipe your mail if you don't
    >>use the account for 90 days.
    >>
    >>I have had my Hotmail account reset several times because it is not
    >>unusual to ignore the account for 6-8 weeks, but with GMail I would
    >>have to ignore the account for over 12 weeks for that to happen.

    > Actually, 9 months.
    >
    > http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6563&topic=1504

    That's even better than what I had read a couple of months ago.

    When you compare a free web based mail service like Hotmail from
    Microsoft with a free web based mail service like GMail from Google -
    you can see how crap Microsoft services are.

    Storage:
    Microsoft Hotmail - 2MB
    Google GMail - 2684MB

    Inactive period before your mail is deleted:
    Hotmail - 30 days
    GMail - 9 months

    Availability of POP and SMTP servers:
    Hotmail - No
    GMail - Yes

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Jan 15, 2006
  19. canon paora

    Shane Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:18:21 +0000, MarkH wrote:

    > Fred Dagg <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:06:50 GMT, MarkH <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> (S Roby) wrote in

    >>>Hotmail is a pain because they delete your mail if you don't use the
    >>>account for 30 days. With GMail they only wipe your mail if you don't
    >>>use the account for 90 days.
    >>>
    >>>I have had my Hotmail account reset several times because it is not
    >>>unusual to ignore the account for 6-8 weeks, but with GMail I would have
    >>>to ignore the account for over 12 weeks for that to happen.

    >> Actually, 9 months.
    >>
    >> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6563&topic=1504

    > That's even better than what I had read a couple of months ago.
    >
    > When you compare a free web based mail service like Hotmail from Microsoft
    > with a free web based mail service like GMail from Google - you can see
    > how crap Microsoft services are.
    >
    > Storage:
    > Microsoft Hotmail - 2MB
    > Google GMail - 2684MB
    >
    > Inactive period before your mail is deleted: Hotmail - 30 days
    > GMail - 9 months
    >
    > Availability of POP and SMTP servers: Hotmail - No
    > GMail - Yes

    The *only* catch..
    There isnt as a big uptake of Googles im client as there is of Microsofts
    or Yahoo's
    Although I believe MSN is the only one of the three not to offer voice
    (Correct me if Im wrong)

    --
    Help me, I'm a prisoner in a Fortune cookie file!
    Shane, Jan 15, 2006
  20. canon paora

    David Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:18:21 +0000, MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> Fred Dagg <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:06:50 GMT, MarkH <>
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> Actually, 9 months.
    >>>
    >>> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6563&topic=1504

    >> That's even better than what I had read a couple of months ago.
    >>
    >> When you compare a free web based mail service like Hotmail from Microsoft
    >> with a free web based mail service like GMail from Google - you can see
    >> how crap Microsoft services are.
    >>
    >> Storage:
    >> Microsoft Hotmail - 2MB
    >> Google GMail - 2684MB
    >>
    >> Inactive period before your mail is deleted: Hotmail - 30 days
    >> GMail - 9 months
    >>
    >> Availability of POP and SMTP servers: Hotmail - No
    >> GMail - Yes

    > The *only* catch..
    > There isnt as a big uptake of Googles im client as there is of Microsofts
    > or Yahoo's
    > Although I believe MSN is the only one of the three not to offer voice
    > (Correct me if Im wrong)

    MSN offers voice, it just doesn't understand NAT very well (improving
    with every [significantly more bloated] version though).
    Also you can use your gmail address on msn, just sign up at
    passport.com. Personally I use an orcon address that I've had for years,
    even though I'm not a customer of theirs. Works perfectly, I use POP3,
    it even has excellent spam and virus filtering, a good webmail
    interface, and all for free with no ads :D. I have no idea how much
    storage space it has, as my email client runs at startup and
    automatically cleans it out every half hour.
    David, Jan 15, 2006