    Sent from a spam-bucket account; I check it once in a blue moon. If
    you still want to e-mail me, cut out the extension from my address,
    and make the obvious substitutions on what's left.
    KKramsch, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Samller and loads a LOT more quickly.
    Geoffrey Kidd, Jul 13, 2004

  3. KKramsch

    Moz Champion Guest

    KKramsch wrote:

    > I keep hearing about how great Firefox is, but after playing with
    > it for a while it is not clear to me it is any improvement over
    > Mozilla 1.7, or even Mozilla 1.4 for that matter. Could someone
    > please tell me what I've missed?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Karl

    If you want a standalone browser then use Firefox, if you want an all-in-one internet program, use Mozilla.

    Firefox frees you from the overhead of having a built in mail program, if you prefer to use a separate mail program (not the built in Mozilla one). Firefox is smaller to download and may have a slight performance advantage over Mozilla in displaying web sites (tho this last is more subjective than quantitative).

    Improvements and bug fixes in Firefox are also more easily made, due to the separation of the program from the other components in Mozilla. With Firefox, a 'fix' or feature wont fail and have to be backed out because it broke something within the Mail component per se (and this has happened in the Mozilla builds for example)

    Firefox provides you with the freedom to change to a more secure and 'better' browser, without having to worry about changing your email or other programs. With Firefox you get the benefits of Mozilla for browsing, yet are not tied to any particular mail program

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 14, 2004
  4. KKramsch

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:01:26 GMT, Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >KKramsch wrote:
    >
    >> I keep hearing about how great Firefox is, but after playing with
    >> it for a while it is not clear to me it is any improvement over
    >> Mozilla 1.7, or even Mozilla 1.4 for that matter. Could someone
    >> please tell me what I've missed?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Karl

    >If you want a standalone browser then use Firefox, if you want an all-in-one internet program, use Mozilla.
    >
    >Firefox frees you from the overhead of having a built in mail program, if you prefer to use a separate mail program (not the built in Mozilla one). Firefox is smaller to download and may have a slight performance advantage over Mozilla in displaying web sites (tho this last is more subjective than quantitative).
    >
    >Improvements and bug fixes in Firefox are also more easily made, due to the separation of the program from the other components in Mozilla. With Firefox, a 'fix' or feature wont fail and have to be backed out because it broke something within the Mail component per se (and this has happened in the Mozilla builds for example)
    >
    >Firefox provides you with the freedom to change to a more secure and 'better' browser, without having to worry about changing your email or other programs. With Firefox you get the benefits of Mozilla for browsing, yet are not tied to any particular mail program

    Isn't the same benifit gained if during installation of Mozilla only
    select the Browser to be installed?

    Steve
    Steve, Jul 14, 2004
  5. KKramsch

    Moz Champion Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:01:26 GMT, Moz Champion
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>KKramsch wrote:
    >>

    >>> I keep hearing about how great Firefox is, but after playing with
    >>>it for a while it is not clear to me it is any improvement over
    >>>Mozilla 1.7, or even Mozilla 1.4 for that matter. Could someone
    >>>please tell me what I've missed?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Karl

    >>If you want a standalone browser then use Firefox, if you want an all-in-one internet program, use Mozilla.
    >>
    >>Firefox frees you from the overhead of having a built in mail program, if you prefer to use a separate mail program (not the built in Mozilla one). Firefox is smaller to download and may have a slight performance advantage over Mozilla in displaying web sites (tho this last is more subjective than quantitative).
    >>
    >>Improvements and bug fixes in Firefox are also more easily made, due to the separation of the program from the other components in Mozilla. With Firefox, a 'fix' or feature wont fail and have to be backed out because it broke something within the Mail component per se (and this has happened in the Mozilla builds for example)
    >>
    >>Firefox provides you with the freedom to change to a more secure and 'better' browser, without having to worry about changing your email or other programs. With Firefox you get the benefits of Mozilla for browsing, yet are not tied to any particular mail program

    > Isn't the same benifit gained if during installation of Mozilla only
    > select the Browser to be installed?
    >
    > Steve

    No.

    While Firefox is based on Mozilla, there have been several changes since the two projects split. And if you use the install only method, the code is not optimized for browsing only, and you lose the benefit of a smaller download as well.

    The 'browsing only' mode of Mozilla will still have the built in 'links' or connections to use the Mozilla mail component and the other components of Mozilla as well. You can adjust preferences and prefs.js to avoid this, but its not as simple as installing Firefox, where its all been done for you.

    Again, since its easier to fix things in Firefox (because the fix doesnt have to contend with the issue of breaking something in the mail component), there are several 'bugs' that are fixed in Firefox, that are still awaiting fixes in Mozilla.

    While the effect would be similar, it much more efficient to use Firefox as a standalone browser than ever it is to partially install Mozilla. Extendibility is also a benefit.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 14, 2004