    Another Dave Guest

    What is Slingshot like for dial-up ISP?

    Does their Ignite rate really speed dial-up browsing?

    Another Dave, Nov 14, 2005

  2. Another Dave

    Another Guy Guest

    "Another Dave" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What is Slingshot like for dial-up ISP?
    >
    > Does their Ignite rate really speed dial-up browsing?

    If their Ignite is like the Orcon Accelerator - it does speed it up heaps

    Another Guy, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Another Dave

    Another Dave Guest

    Another Guy wrote:

    > If their Ignite is like the Orcon Accelerator - it does speed it up heaps

    Looking at Orcon's site, it seems to be the exact same thing.

    Thanks.

    Another Dave, Nov 14, 2005
  4. Another Dave

    > Another Guy wrote:
    >
    >> If their Ignite is like the Orcon Accelerator - it does speed it up heaps

    > Looking at Orcon's site, it seems to be the exact same thing.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Just be aware that you do lose graphic quality, how badly depends on user
    selecting the level of acceleration.

    Another Guy, Nov 14, 2005
  5. Another Dave

    Max Guest

    > What is Slingshot like for dial-up ISP?
    >
    > Does their Ignite rate really speed dial-up browsing?

    These last couple of months I have had problems dialing up first time.
    Sometimes it takes 3 attempts to connect.

    Max, Nov 14, 2005
  6. About 18 months ago, we were with slingshot. It was hopeless - at
    times it would slow to less than a crawl - taking 3 or 4 minutes to
    load a single page (even of something like 'stuff')

    We rang and complained, and they said it was nothing to do with them -
    it must be our lines. Rang telecom - they did a few tests, all OK.
    Signed-up with ihug and got good rates instantaneously.

    Hopefully slingshot is better now, but we've got 2 Mbps broadband now,
    so not going back!

    SpamAccountForMe, Nov 14, 2005
  7. Another Dave

    pw Guest

    No problems with my slingshot dial up,I have no problems connecting or
    slowdowns

    pw, Nov 16, 2005
  8. Another Dave

    Another Dave Guest

    Max wrote:

    > These last couple of months I have had problems dialing up first time.
    > Sometimes it takes 3 attempts to connect.

    Well I have found it fast enough. With that Accelerator it works faster
    than the Net at my work, which comes down a huge pipe yet is slow and
    clunky and can take ages to load a page.

    It does seem to take at least two attempts to dial in quite often,
    though... but the second connection has always gone straight through
    and considering how cheap it is I am not complaining.

    Another Dave, Nov 16, 2005
  9. Another Dave

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > Max wrote:
    >
    >> These last couple of months I have had problems dialing up first time.
    >> Sometimes it takes 3 attempts to connect.

    > Well I have found it fast enough. With that Accelerator it works faster
    > than the Net at my work, which comes down a huge pipe yet is slow and
    > clunky and can take ages to load a page.
    >
    > It does seem to take at least two attempts to dial in quite often,
    > though... but the second connection has always gone straight through
    > and considering how cheap it is I am not complaining.

    It's very seldom that it doesn't get straight through on the first go for
    me. Slingshot is also a damn more reliable than ibug, as it doesn't have
    the usual Christmas problems that ihug has each year.

    Also while not good for newsgroups I've got a guy on KOL who's getting good
    reliable service from them.
    KOL has improved a lot compared to when they first started.

    E. Scrooge.

    E. Scrooge, Nov 16, 2005
  10. Another Dave

    Another Dave Guest

    E. Scrooge (*sling) wrote:

    > Also while not good for newsgroups I've got a guy on KOL who's getting good
    > reliable service from them.
    > KOL has improved a lot compared to when they first started.

    What is KOL?

    Another Dave, Nov 16, 2005
  11. Another Dave

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > E. Scrooge (*sling) wrote:
    >
    >> Also while not good for newsgroups I've got a guy on KOL who's getting
    >> good
    >> reliable service from them.
    >> KOL has improved a lot compared to when they first started.

    > What is KOL?

    Kiwi Online.
    It's as good as any for those that don't need newsgroups. 10 bucks a month
    for dial up.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 16, 2005
  12. Another Dave

    kiwigal Guest

    Another Dave wrote:

    > What is Slingshot like for dial-up ISP?
    >
    > Does their Ignite rate really speed dial-up browsing?

    A few yrs ago when I subscribed to the internet, the most important
    thing was a good helpdesk. Slingshot were charging $2per minute for
    their helpdesk- $120phr! I went with ihug.

    kiwigal, Nov 16, 2005