What's needed to get an "Index of/" web page?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff Wisnia, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

    http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

    and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index of/~joeuser"
    and lets me click on the files there and view them.

    I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
    that directory.

    But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast, (after
    renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a Comcast page
    saying I'd entered an invalid address.

    Did I do something wrong, are those "Index of/" pages only available if
    the ISP lets them be so?

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff

    --

    Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    to blame it on."

    Jeff Wisnia, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    > I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

    > http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

    > and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index
    > of/~joeuser" and lets me click on the files there and view them.

    > I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
    > that directory.

    > But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast,
    > (after renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a
    > Comcast page saying I'd entered an invalid address.

    Jeff, see if there's a file in your top-level subdirectory there named

    ..htaccess

    http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    Nixon's secretary now at MS? http://snurl.com/rosemary

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Jeff Wisnia

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Some servers do, others do not allow the file index of a website to be
    accessible even without a default page. Try opening the url without
    typing the full path, ie: if there are folders in the index, stop typing
    the url just after a folder name. This sometimes reveals the files of
    the web site. Kinda sneaky though and sucks.

    Jeff Wisnia <> wrote in message
    > I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:
    >
    > http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/
    >
    > and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index

    of/~joeuser"
    > and lets me click on the files there and view them.
    >
    > I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
    > that directory.
    >
    > But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast,

    (after
    > renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a Comcast page
    > saying I'd entered an invalid address.
    >
    > Did I do something wrong, are those "Index of/" pages only available

    if
    > the ISP lets them be so?
    >
    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > --
    >
    > Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
    >
    > "If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of

    someone

    Juan Pérez, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Jeff Wisnia

    gangle Guest

    "Juan Pérez" wrote

    http://www.rogerschwendeman.com/Poots/images/Girl_poot_face.jpg

    gangle, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Jeff Wisnia wrote:
    >
    > > I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

    > > http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

    > > and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index
    > > of/~joeuser" and lets me click on the files there and view them.

    > > I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
    > > that directory.

    > > But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast,
    > > (after renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a
    > > Comcast page saying I'd entered an invalid address.

    > Jeff, see if there's a file in your top-level subdirectory there named
    >
    > .htaccess
    >
    > http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/
    >
    > --
    > Blinky Linux RU 297263
    > Nixon's secretary now at MS? http://snurl.com/rosemary

    Nope, no ".htaccess" in either the directory I can see an index page on or
    my own directory (which I can't see one on.)

    The subject wasn't a big deal with me, I was just trying to satisfy my
    curiosity. I've got a feeling my ISP Comcast (I use them for
    TV/telephone/high speed internet at home.) is up tight enough to not permit
    the "Index of" option.

    (And here I thought you spent all your waking time on AFCA?)

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    "If you can keep smiling when things go wrong, you've thought of someone to
    place the blame on."

    Jeff Wisnia, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    > I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:
    >
    > http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/
    >
    > and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index of/~joeuser"
    > and lets me click on the files there and view them.
    >
    > I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
    > that directory.
    >
    > But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast, (after
    > renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a Comcast page
    > saying I'd entered an invalid address.
    >
    > Did I do something wrong, are those "Index of/" pages only available if
    > the ISP lets them be so?

    As others have mentioned, that's up to the ISP. My host provider has the
    pages set to "no index" by default, but will turn on that function if I ask
    him to. Also note that some ISPs are set up so that index.html is NOT the
    default entry page, it may have another name.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    <<Take THAT, VeriSlime!

    Gary G. Taylor, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    >> > I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

    >> > http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

    >> > and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index
    >> > of/~joeuser" and lets me click on the files there and view them.

    >> > I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
    >> > that directory.

    >> > But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast,
    >> > (after renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a
    >> > Comcast page saying I'd entered an invalid address.

    >> Jeff, see if there's a file in your top-level subdirectory there named

    >> .htaccess

    >> http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/

    > Nope, no ".htaccess" in either the directory I can see an index page on or
    > my own directory (which I can't see one on.)

    Is that the directory you were wondering about being able to list the files
    for?

    (And there wouldn't be a .htaccess in your local mirror, unless you made
    one or downloaded a copy from the website.)

    > The subject wasn't a big deal with me, I was just trying to satisfy my
    > curiosity. I've got a feeling my ISP Comcast (I use them for
    > TV/telephone/high speed internet at home.) is up tight enough to not permit
    > the "Index of" option.

    ..htaccess is just a text file. Upload one. (Go back to that page, and
    reread, and make one with listing permission.) Then try it with your
    browser. Then you'll know. I *know* the cat, and curiosity *didn't* kill
    him -- it was a '73 Ford that got him. Got him *good*. :)

    > (And here I thought you spent all your waking time on AFCA?)

    Fooled you! :) (I do several tech groups daily, too.)

    I haven't seen *you* in there, lately.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    NEW 9/25/03:

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 25, 2003
  8. Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    >> I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

    >> http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

    >> and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index of/~joeuser"
    >> and lets me click on the files there and view them.

    >> I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
    >> that directory.

    >> But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast, (after
    >> renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a Comcast page
    >> saying I'd entered an invalid address.

    >> Did I do something wrong, are those "Index of/" pages only available if
    >> the ISP lets them be so?

    > As others have mentioned, that's up to the ISP. My host provider has the
    > pages set to "no index" by default, but will turn on that function if I ask
    > him to. Also note that some ISPs are set up so that index.html is NOT the
    > default entry page, it may have another name.

    I think that's configurable in .htaccess, innit? I mean if the ISP
    hasn't somehow overridden it.

    Crap....I just thought of something I forgot to mention to Jeff. That's a
    hidden file (that's what the prepended dot means), so if your FTPing in
    without being configured to see hidden files, you wont' find it. Yo,
    Jeff -- you readin', here?

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 25, 2003
  9. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    >
    > > Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    > >> I've noticed that sometimes I can enter a web address like:

    > >> http://www.someserver.com/~joeuser/

    > >> and go to one of those "ftp style" pages which says "Index of/~joeuser"
    > >> and lets me click on the files there and view them.

    > >> I assumed this occurred because there's no file named "index.html" in
    > >> that directory.

    > >> But I tried the same thing with my own stuff on my ISP, Comcast, (after
    > >> renaming my "index.html" there to"outdex.html") and got a Comcast page
    > >> saying I'd entered an invalid address.

    > >> Did I do something wrong, are those "Index of/" pages only available if
    > >> the ISP lets them be so?

    > > As others have mentioned, that's up to the ISP. My host provider has the
    > > pages set to "no index" by default, but will turn on that function if I ask
    > > him to. Also note that some ISPs are set up so that index.html is NOT the
    > > default entry page, it may have another name.

    > I think that's configurable in .htaccess, innit? I mean if the ISP
    > hasn't somehow overridden it.
    >
    > Crap....I just thought of something I forgot to mention to Jeff. That's a
    > hidden file (that's what the prepended dot means), so if your FTPing in
    > without being configured to see hidden files, you wont' find it. Yo,
    > Jeff -- you readin', here?

    Ah's here boss! I'll get back to this after I handle more pressing problems...

    And, thanks...

    Jeff

    Jeff Wisnia, Sep 25, 2003
  10. Jeff Wisnia

    Juan Pérez Guest

    gangle <> wrote in message
    > "Juan Pérez" wrote
    > > Some servers do, others do not allow the file index of a website to

    be
    > > accessible even without a default page. Try opening the url without
    > > typing the full path, ie: if there are folders in the index, stop

    typing
    > > the url just after a folder name. This sometimes reveals the files

    of
    > > the web site. Kinda sneaky though and sucks.

    > http://www.rogerschwendeman.com/Poots/images/Girl_poot_face.jpg

    (Polishing the shit off of my chop sticks) Cat poots! Yum!

    Juan Pérez, Sep 27, 2003