    exams ? the seem very expensive ?

    My main question is what do I need to buy for passing the exams ?

    Thanks Tim P

    ODB, Aug 26, 2003

  2. ODB

    emg Guest

    You do not HAVE to buy anything. The only thing you HAVE to pay is the exam
    fee.

    The next step is determining what kind of study materials YOU need to reach
    the required level of proficiency required for the exams. This is different
    for everyone. Rather than buying some expensive "kit" of 5 books or a set
    of 5 exams, why don't you pick one exam, prepare for and pass that exam?
    Purchase only what you need for that one exam (books, CDs, prep exams,
    whatever.) Once you've completed an exam you will have a much better sense
    of how difficult these things are for you and what you need to do. You may
    find you can get by without all the expensive products - - or you may
    discover you need more focused study materials to have any success at all.

    "Expensive" is a relative term - - it depends on how successfully you can
    prep without the purchased materials and how badly you want or need to pass
    the exam. For some, all they need is the freely-available MSDN and some
    practice time. For others it's in-person classroom training. For me, the
    requirement seems to be one or two books (purchased at a big discount on
    bookpool.com), MSDN, a lot of study time and a Transcender exam. You need
    to find out what works for you. No one else can answer that question for
    you.

    Best of Luck!

    emg, Aug 27, 2003

  3. ODB

    Tore Bostrup Guest

    Take my post with a grain of salt - I've never actually taken a
    Certification test, but here goes...

    Yes, we all learn in different ways. However, it appears that at least some
    of the practice tests I've seen requires not only knowledge, but "targeted"
    knowledge. I.e. a seasoned developer will be missing key information
    required to answer many questions because those questions are about portions
    that are considered "not production quality" or "not best practice". So if
    you never used bound controls and the data environment designer in VB6, and
    other typically observed "best practices" kept you from doing certain
    things, you could miss as much as 30% of the (test) exam score in some
    cases - maybe even fail. Based on this (incomplete) background, I suspect
    that it is best to study the books that are most closely related to the
    certifications - i.e. the MS Press books written specifically for those
    exams (or possibly other books targeting those same exams if someone will
    endorse them as being effective).

    And instead of paying as much as $69.99 per book, you can get the set of
    core MCAD/MCSD books (4 books?) for about $100 - $130 (Used & New,
    Bookpool.com, Amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com). Look for ISDN 0735619255.
    That seems to make a lot of sense.

    Then take advantage of the resources (including free test exams)
    at/referenced by the Microsoft web site. Run the tests in whatever books
    you may have acquired. Contact your local technical college - they may
    provide practice tests for free, especially if they provide MS training -
    our local one does.

    Then, when all practice tests look good, take your first exam. If you do
    well, you know what to do for the subsequent ones. If you don't, spending
    some money on a Transceiver exam may be worth it. At least that was their
    reputation in the past ("if you pass the Transcender, you will pass the
    exam").

    HTH,
    Tore.

    Tore Bostrup, Aug 27, 2003
  4. ODB

    ODB Guest

    >"Tore Bostrup" <newspost_at_bostrup.us> wrote in
    >
    > "emg" <> wrote in message

    Thanks for the very informative replays, but I am still not sure what are
    the best books to prepare for the exams, as I have read, it seem that the
    Start kit from MS isn't that good ?

    I have been developing windows .net apps for 1½ years at work, I have c++
    experience, what I need to get some information about is ASP.Net I am not
    saying that I know every think about win apps, but I would be nice to have
    some reference books but I am not sure which is the best books ???

    And which practice tests is the best, which one will get me through the
    exams ?

    Thanks again
    Tim P

    ODB, Aug 27, 2003
  5. ODB

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Thanks for the very informative replays, but I am still not sure what are
    >the best books to prepare for the exams, as I have read, it seem that the
    >Start kit from MS isn't that good ?

    From what I've seen, most books (not just those from ms press) with
    mcsd/mcse in title are poor. No doubt there are exceptions, I've seen
    some reviews in this group which rate the exam cram books.

    >I have been developing windows .net apps for 1½ years at work, I have c++
    >experience, what I need to get some information about is ASP.Net I am not
    >saying that I know every think about win apps, but I would be nice to have
    >some reference books but I am not sure which is the best books ???

    There are many technical books which cover what you need to know in
    order to pass the exams, and actual learn something in the process!

    I have found the ms press (not the training guides though) and wrox
    press books to be excellent

    However the best resource is the internet, especially the msdn (free
    to all). It seems to me that people only think the internet is for
    downloading porn and distributing viruses!

    >And which practice tests is the best, which one will get me through the
    >exams ?

    I can never work out why people need 'practice tests'. The format of
    the ms exams cannot be more simpler. It would appear the reason that
    people buy 'practice tests' is in the hope the actual questions will
    also appear in the real exam.

    Kline Sphere, Aug 27, 2003
  6. ODB

    emg Guest

    Well, as I said in my previous post, I use a couple books and the
    appropriate Transcender for each exam. For general books on .Net, I like
    the O'Reilly books "Programming C#" and "Programming ASP.Net". I used the
    MS training books but although they covered the specific topics, I found
    they lacked the depth and complexity needed to really prepare you for the
    questions on the exam. They are worth using, but not worth $69 each. Look
    for discounts or used copies.

    emg, Aug 27, 2003
  7. ODB

    Shrini Guest

    Hi Tim

    dont waste money on those paid practice exam. just read the MCAD/MCSD self
    paced training kit and take some time to work hands on few simple projects.
    As i said no practice exams. i would advice you to search in google and
    search for MCSD mock test and some other keywords. go to those sites and try
    to answer as many questions as possible after you have finished your book.
    remember that answering alone is not important. you should also try to read
    from the book about that particular question. This will give you some kind
    of an idea about what kind of questions you can expect in the exam and boost
    your confidence.

    You are on your way to MCSD. Good Luck

    shrini
    "Great Things happen out of Great Dreams"

    Shrini, Aug 29, 2003