    what he thinks it's worth...

    But if I get a job that needs my MCSE, I'll take it back. How do I charge
    him? I realize it could be based on the value to him... but what he says $1?

    Bruce Langston, Apr 26, 2009

  2. Bruce:
    You will always "keep your MCSE." Just because you sign-on with a Gold
    Certified Partner, doesn't mean that he takes your MCSE from you like a
    prostitute with a passport. You don't need to "take it back" because you will
    always have it.

    Microsoft always requires Gold Certified Partners to have at least two
    certified people on staff to maintain the Gold status. Apparently, this
    person's second certified person had changed jobs since the last Partner
    renewal. I would ask him why?

    I would especially find out if he only keeps certified people on during the
    renewal process, then lets them go after he re-earns the Gold certification.
    If this is the case, I would notify the Microsoft Partnership Program that
    someone is mis-using the system [especially if he only offers you a dollar].
    Part of the reason for the requirement is to help people like you and me get
    and keep employment.

    In regards to the monetary value, someone else will have to help you on that
    one -- I don't know.

    Best wishes on whatever you decide to do.
    --
    Larry J. West, MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS x8, MCSA, MOS x2, FLMI, ACS
    * looking for a first-shift position within 200 miles of Louisville, KY.

    LarryWestMCSD, Apr 26, 2009

  3. Bruce Langston

    John R Guest

    "Bruce Langston" <> wrote in message
    >I got MCSE 2003 four or five years ago. I have used it on and off but have
    > more real world experience and grey hairs to prove it. I've recently
    > started
    > looking for a new job after being employed for 25 years.
    >
    > I spoke to a local reseller/integrater and he said he didn't have anything
    > for me but asked me to send my resume so he could forward. I sent it, and
    > he
    > called me right back. "I didn't realize you have an MCSE. I can use
    > that."
    > I went and talked to him. He doesn't have much work but wants to associate
    > my
    > MCSE to his partnership to maintain his Gold standing with Microsoft.
    >
    > He seems above board and wants to pay me for my time and value. What is
    > the
    > value of my MCSE to this guy? I guess I could ask him (that would be
    > novel)
    > what he thinks it's worth...
    >
    > But if I get a job that needs my MCSE, I'll take it back. How do I charge
    > him? I realize it could be based on the value to him... but what he says
    > $1?

    Larry put it a little more politely than I would. I'd tell him I'd be happy
    to associate my MCSE with his company in return for at least $7K/month, full
    health benefits, 3 weeks paid vacation, 401K, LTD and pre-paid life
    insurance for the next 12 months. It would of course be his option to throw
    in a company car. However, if he had some work for me during that time, I'd
    be happy to do it utilizing a 40 hour work week (oh, salary non-exempt).
    I'd even do the work at his location if he felt strongly about it.

    John R

    John R, Apr 27, 2009
  4. John and Larry,

    Thanks for the feedback. I know that my cert is mine and no one can "have"
    it, and I don't have to "take" it back. Poor choice of words. These
    comments were all intended in the context of "associating" my credential with
    his company.

    He didn't tell me $1. I just used that as a worst case scenario example.

    Of course, I have the power here, because he needs to renew on April 30.

    Bruce Langston, Apr 27, 2009
  5. Bruce Langston

    > John and Larry,
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback. I know that my cert is mine and no one can
    > "have"
    > it, and I don't have to "take" it back. Poor choice of words. These
    > comments were all intended in the context of "associating" my credential
    > with
    > his company.
    >
    > He didn't tell me $1. I just used that as a worst case scenario example.
    >
    > Of course, I have the power here, because he needs to renew on April 30.

    I guess then that it is up to you. Do you want your hard earned credential
    to be "associated" with his company so that he gets to call himself a
    "Microsoft Gold Partner" to his customers while you may or may not get a
    bone thrown your way?

    Personally, I would not do it without commitment from him. My MCSE is
    associated with my employer, but he paid for all my training materials and
    testing fees and I have been employed by him for a long-long time. I think
    *that* is the proper way to do it.

    Good Luck to you, whatever you decide.

    John R

    John R, Apr 27, 2009
  6. "Bruce Langston" <> wrote in message
    > John and Larry,
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback. I know that my cert is mine and no one can
    > "have"
    > it, and I don't have to "take" it back. Poor choice of words. These
    > comments were all intended in the context of "associating" my credential
    > with
    > his company.
    >
    > He didn't tell me $1. I just used that as a worst case scenario example.
    >
    > Of course, I have the power here, because he needs to renew on April 30.

    Let me reiterate the point John R has made.

    As a Microsoft Registered Partner, and MCP, who would *love* to be a
    Microsoft Certified Partner, but for lacking another Microsoft Certified
    *EMPLOYEE* -- it would be unethical, not to mention probably hazardous to my
    partner standing and probably criminal fraud, for me to "pay" another person
    for the purpose of listing them as an employee when they're not actually
    such.

    The intent of the Microsoft Certified (Gold) Partner program is for partners
    to have *certified staff* doing work. This is a credential that Microsoft
    creates to engender trust in partners for the Microsoft customers employing
    them to do work critical to the success of their business. Paying a person
    for merely listing their name on a partner application to obtain benefits
    and classifications they're not otherwise entitled to is not something I'd
    want to have any part of -- and I would suggest nobody else should either.
    Furthermore, I wouldn't trust such a person with any aspect of my career --
    obviously this person is more interested in "using" your MCSE status to
    further (or maintain) his partner credentials, than he is in getting you
    legitimate work -- and as a partner, if I ever found out a competitor had
    lied to Microsoft to obtain credentials they're not entitled to -- you can
    bet I'd be complaining as loud as possible.

    Now, to take John's point a bit farther.. if he's willing to put you on the
    payroll at a SALARY commensurate with your certification and experience
    ($84k/year sounds about right), and then let you 'sit on the bench' while
    his sales/marketing team drums up some work for you to do -- that's
    perfectly legitimate. Shucks, it would even be legit for him to require you,
    as part of your job description, to gen up some of your own work in the name
    of the company. The key point here being the intent to actually do some work
    in the name of the company.

    However paying you a FEE for listing you as an employee when you're not, and
    never will be, is fraud, plain and simple, and you, being a willing
    co-consipirator in that scheme to defraud, may also be liable for civil and
    criminal penalities.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Apr 27, 2009
  7. Bruce Langston

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day <> did cause
    the electrons to come together and form the following words:

    > He seems above board and wants to pay me for my time and value. What
    > is the value of my MCSE to this guy? I guess I could ask him (that
    > would be novel) what he thinks it's worth...

    Not only from a marketing standpoint, depending on the organization it
    could be worth a lot more. Gold partners get lots of free MS licenses
    that could suddenly go "poof" if they don't maintain their membership
    level.

    > But if I get a job that needs my MCSE, I'll take it back. How do I
    > charge him? I realize it could be based on the value to him... but
    > what he says $1?

    As an employee of a Gold Partner I can tell you that they can't add you
    without your permission. You have to reply to a confirmation email to
    get your MCP ID associated with their organization. So don't worry about
    that. OF greater concern is the ethical dilemna, but that has already
    been outlined.

    -------

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    TBone, Apr 27, 2009
  8. Bruce Langston

    >I got MCSE 2003 four or five years ago. I have used it on and off but have
    > more real world experience and grey hairs to prove it. I've recently
    > started
    > looking for a new job after being employed for 25 years.
    >
    > I spoke to a local reseller/integrater and he said he didn't have anything
    > for me but asked me to send my resume so he could forward. I sent it, and
    > he
    > called me right back. "I didn't realize you have an MCSE. I can use
    > that."
    > I went and talked to him. He doesn't have much work but wants to associate
    > my
    > MCSE to his partnership to maintain his Gold standing with Microsoft.
    >
    > He seems above board and wants to pay me for my time and value. What is
    > the
    > value of my MCSE to this guy? I guess I could ask him (that would be
    > novel)
    > what he thinks it's worth...
    >
    > But if I get a job that needs my MCSE, I'll take it back. How do I charge
    > him? I realize it could be based on the value to him... but what he says
    > $1?

    FYI, you can remove and/or change your association at any time at this
    link....
    https://partner.microsoft.com/Indonesia/program/competencies/40001301

    John R

    John R, Apr 27, 2009