    Ps2 keyboard & mouse

    Thanks

    Matt

    Matthew, Oct 9, 2005

  2. Matthew wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
    >
    > AMD Athlon 2500+
    > 512MB DDR 3200
    > 128MB 9200 AGP 8x
    > Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
    > 120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
    > 52x cdrw
    > ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
    > Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
    > 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
    > Ps2 keyboard & mouse

    IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 9, 2005

  3. Matthew

    thingy Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Matthew wrote:
    >
    >> Hi guys,
    >>
    >> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
    >>
    >> AMD Athlon 2500+
    >> 512MB DDR 3200
    >> 128MB 9200 AGP 8x
    >> Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
    >> 120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
    >> 52x cdrw
    >> ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
    >> Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
    >> 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
    >> Ps2 keyboard & mouse

    > IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    oohhh...

    makes my p3-1000 worth didly squat then....

    D:

    and its my best machine!

    D:

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 9, 2005
  4. Matthew

    XPD Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > oohhh...
    >
    > makes my p3-1000 worth didly squat then....
    >
    > D:
    >
    > and its my best machine!

    You too huh ? I had a P4 1.8 but sold it to my folks thinking Id upgrade
    with the money.... but other bills took that money so Ive been left stranded
    with my trusty P3 1 gig :)
    Its the best machine Ive ever had, no problems what so ever. When the new
    box does finally get built, the p3 will still be getting used as a media PC
    for the lounge :D

    XPD, Oct 9, 2005
  5. Matthew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Matthew wrote:
    >> Hi guys,
    >>
    >> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
    >>
    >> AMD Athlon 2500+
    >> 512MB DDR 3200
    >> 128MB 9200 AGP 8x
    >> Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
    >> 120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
    >> 52x cdrw
    >> ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
    >> Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
    >> 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
    >> Ps2 keyboard & mouse

    > IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.

    Sad huh? I think you're about right yet it's a very capable machine.
    However, when you can get a machine with warranty for under $1K it destroys
    the second-hand market for good used machines. If I had the money I'd rather
    have the listed machine than a new Dell Celeron anyday.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 9, 2005
  6. Matthew

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    Matthew wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
    >
    > AMD Athlon 2500+
    > 512MB DDR 3200
    > 128MB 9200 AGP 8x
    > Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
    > 120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
    > 52x cdrw
    > ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
    > Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
    > 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
    > Ps2 keyboard & mouse

    You would probably get more if you sold the parts individually.

    --
    Get Thunderbird <http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/>
    Get Firefox <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>

    Bruce Flyger, Oct 9, 2005
  7. Matthew

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 22:18:46 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> Matthew wrote:
    >>> Hi guys,
    >>>
    >>> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
    >>>
    >>> AMD Athlon 2500+
    >>> 512MB DDR 3200
    >>> 128MB 9200 AGP 8x
    >>> Gigabyte GA7n400 pro 2 RAID / SATA / 6 Channel audio / Gigabit lan
    >>> 120GB Seagate SATA drive 8mb cache
    >>> 52x cdrw
    >>> ViPower removable drive enclosure (not hotswap)
    >>> Brushed alumnium case (icute i think)
    >>> 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX Monitor
    >>> Ps2 keyboard & mouse

    >> IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.

    >Sad huh? I think you're about right yet it's a very capable machine.
    >However, when you can get a machine with warranty for under $1K it destroys
    >the second-hand market for good used machines. If I had the money I'd rather
    >have the listed machine than a new Dell Celeron anyday.

    The cheap Dells should be shown up for what they are: the Lada's of
    computers. A second-hand Mercedes should be worth more than a new
    Lada.

    GraB, Oct 9, 2005
  8. Matthew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 22:18:46 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    >>> IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.

    >> Sad huh? I think you're about right yet it's a very capable machine.
    >> However, when you can get a machine with warranty for under $1K it
    >> destroys the second-hand market for good used machines. If I had the
    >> money I'd rather have the listed machine than a new Dell Celeron
    >> anyday.

    > The cheap Dells should be shown up for what they are: the Lada's of
    > computers. A second-hand Mercedes should be worth more than a new
    > Lada.

    No argument from me. As I said, I'd rather have that machine than a brand
    new Dell buget box. Alas, the unwashed masses tend to look at warranty and
    names.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 9, 2005
  9. Matthew

    Daniel Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Matthew wrote:
    >
    >> Hi guys,
    >>
    >> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...

    <snip>

    > IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.

    <snip>

    Hmmm... had a quick look on TradeMe, and comparing apples with apples
    I'd say $500-$600.

    * If the CPU has a Barton core (you should mention), then that's a plus
    * SATA 120GB HDD is another plus
    * If it has a licensed version of Win XP, you should mention that as
    well (I'd definitely go for $600+ if that were the case)
    * Motherboard (mention which revision) - another plus; Firewire/Gigabit
    LAN/Dual Channel memory support/SATA etc.
    * You also might want to mention what the 9200 specs are (i.e. GPU +
    Memory speed, and memory interface buswidth - i.e, 9200 > 9200SE)
    * You also mention if any parts are still under warranty

    Daniel, Oct 9, 2005
  10. Matthew

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> Matthew wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi guys,
    >>>
    >>> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
    >>>

    > <snip>
    >>

    >> IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > Hmmm... had a quick look on TradeMe, and comparing apples with apples I'd
    > say $500-$600.
    >
    > * If the CPU has a Barton core (you should mention), then that's a plus
    > * SATA 120GB HDD is another plus
    > * If it has a licensed version of Win XP, you should mention that as well
    > (I'd definitely go for $600+ if that were the case)
    > * Motherboard (mention which revision) - another plus; Firewire/Gigabit
    > LAN/Dual Channel memory support/SATA etc.
    > * You also might want to mention what the 9200 specs are (i.e. GPU +
    > Memory speed, and memory interface buswidth - i.e, 9200 > 9200SE)
    > * You also mention if any parts are still under warranty

    If he an idea of top prices compared to young Sherlock's throw away prices,
    he only needs to have a look at a Cash Converters.
    He might as well get what he can for it by asking for $795 ono - only going
    down to $700.
    At this point in time.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 10, 2005
  11. Matthew

    Daniel Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > If he an idea of top prices compared to young Sherlock's throw away prices,
    > he only needs to have a look at a Cash Converters.
    > He might as well get what he can for it by asking for $795 ono - only going
    > down to $700.
    > At this point in time.

    I remembering popping into CC and asking how much they'd give me for an
    2600XP, 512MB, 40GB, FX5200, CD-RW, 17"CRT, Win XP Home licensed - a
    full PC. CC guy offered me a little over $100 for it !!! (in his
    "profressional" opinion that weren't going for much anymore..) - this
    was about a year and half ago.
    I couldn't be bothered debating the issue - they had a much lower spec
    2000XP in the shop window with a price tag of about $600-$700.
    That particular CC shop has since closed. I know they certainly weren't
    making any money on selling PC's (perhaps they weren't making any money
    at all?).

    He might get $700. Can only try, see what the market thinks.

    For the record. I've purchased two 2500XP's - both from TradeMe at
    different times, with better specs than the the OP, for about $700 each.
    This was over 18 months ago.

    Daniel, Oct 10, 2005
  12. Matthew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> Matthew wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi guys,
    >>>
    >>> Opinions on what this system should go for (ballpark)...
    >>>

    > <snip>
    >>

    >> IMO, <$600 and probably closer to $500.
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > Hmmm... had a quick look on TradeMe, and comparing apples with apples
    > I'd say $500-$600.
    >
    > * If the CPU has a Barton core (you should mention), then that's a
    > plus

    Aren't all XP2500+'s Bartons? That is my understanding. What would be more
    likely to affect the price is whether it's a multiplier-locked version or
    not. I'd happily swap my locked XP2600+ Barton for an unlocked XP2500+ so I
    could drop the multiplier and run it on a faster FSB. (9 x 200 rather than
    11 x 166. Makes a noticable difference to PC even though the CPU is actually
    running slightly slower).

    > * SATA 120GB HDD is another plus
    > * If it has a licensed version of Win XP, you should mention that as
    > well (I'd definitely go for $600+ if that were the case)
    > * Motherboard (mention which revision) - another plus;
    > Firewire/Gigabit LAN/Dual Channel memory support/SATA etc.
    > * You also might want to mention what the 9200 specs are (i.e. GPU +
    > Memory speed, and memory interface buswidth - i.e, 9200 > 9200SE)

    I'm not that familiar with ATI cards myelf so don't know much about the
    card. I just assumed it's on par with the rest of the system. i.e.
    reasonably midrange to good for about 18 month old (or so) gear.

    > * You also mention if any parts are still under warranty

    I got the feeling he just wanted a general idea and wasn't actually offering
    it for sale here. If I was Matthew and I didn't *need* the money I'd keep
    the system as a second or back-up. Hell, my best system is only marginally
    better.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 10, 2005
  13. Matthew

    Daniel Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Aren't all XP2500+'s Bartons? That is my understanding. What would be more
    > likely to affect the price is whether it's a multiplier-locked version or
    > not. I'd happily swap my locked XP2600+ Barton for an unlocked XP2500+ so I
    > could drop the multiplier and run it on a faster FSB. (9 x 200 rather than
    > 11 x 166. Makes a noticable difference to PC even though the CPU is actually
    > running slightly slower).

    Can't find my handy CPU chart - never mind.
    I think the Barton's were the last cores used in the XP series (512KB
    L2), as opposed to the Thoroughbreds (256KB L2). From what I understood,
    the Thoroughbreds ran at a higher clocked speed, but, the Barton's
    compensated with the bigger L2 cache. I think the 462 Sempron's are
    basically Thoroughbred XP's.
    I get the impression that the 2500XP Barton's are the favoured Athlon XP
    for overclockers (I see many are easily pushed to 2.2GHz with a
    non-stock cooling solution).
    As for the multiplier-lock on the 2500XP - I don't really know. Yeah,
    having a locked XP2600+ is a bit of a downer. Actually, my 2500XP has a
    Thermaltake Volcano (I think that's the name) put on it by the previous
    owner, but, I've never tried overclocking it - maybe I should give it a
    whirl?

    Daniel, Oct 10, 2005
  14. Matthew

    Daniel Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>* You also might want to mention what the 9200 specs are (i.e. GPU +
    >>Memory speed, and memory interface buswidth - i.e, 9200 > 9200SE)

    > I'm not that familiar with ATI cards myelf so don't know much about the
    > card. I just assumed it's on par with the rest of the system. i.e.
    > reasonably midrange to good for about 18 month old (or so) gear.

    The 9200SE < GF4 MX440 (128 bit bus), so a standard 9200 (250/400
    GPU/mem speed - I think) with a 128 bit bus is more attractive.

    The 9200SE (200/333 GPU/mem, 64-bit mem) is a real dog.

    Accentuate the positive :)

    Daniel, Oct 10, 2005
  15. Matthew

    thing2 Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>oohhh...
    >>
    >>makes my p3-1000 worth didly squat then....
    >>
    >>D:
    >>
    >>and its my best machine!

    > You too huh ? I had a P4 1.8 but sold it to my folks thinking Id upgrade
    > with the money.... but other bills took that money so Ive been left stranded
    > with my trusty P3 1 gig :)

    yeah, I did have $500 "spare" and was looking a the Pinnicle studio ext
    firewire addon box or maybe the ati all-in-wonder.....then I found I
    needed a new exhaust for the car....

    :(

    > Its the best machine Ive ever had, no problems what so ever. When the new
    > box does finally get built, the p3 will still be getting used as a media PC
    > for the lounge :D

    My p3-1000 is Ok for the Internet, so 99% of the time, just sometimes I
    want to buy and play the odd game and its in-adequate for any recent
    game Ive looked at.

    :(

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Oct 10, 2005
  16. Matthew

    S Roby Guest

    it MIGHT be worth more in parts on trade me.

    S Roby, Oct 10, 2005
  17. Matthew

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:38:42 +1300, Daniel <>
    wrote:

    >E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>
    >> If he an idea of top prices compared to young Sherlock's throw away prices,
    >> he only needs to have a look at a Cash Converters.
    >> He might as well get what he can for it by asking for $795 ono - only going
    >> down to $700.
    >> At this point in time.
    >>

    >I remembering popping into CC and asking how much they'd give me for an
    >2600XP, 512MB, 40GB, FX5200, CD-RW, 17"CRT, Win XP Home licensed - a
    >full PC. CC guy offered me a little over $100 for it !!! (in his
    >"profressional" opinion that weren't going for much anymore..) - this
    >was about a year and half ago.
    >I couldn't be bothered debating the issue - they had a much lower spec
    >2000XP in the shop window with a price tag of about $600-$700.

    Crooks.

    GraB, Oct 10, 2005
  18. Matthew

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:38:42 +1300, Daniel <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>>
    >>> If he an idea of top prices compared to young Sherlock's throw away
    >>> prices,
    >>> he only needs to have a look at a Cash Converters.
    >>> He might as well get what he can for it by asking for $795 ono - only
    >>> going
    >>> down to $700.
    >>> At this point in time.
    >>>

    >>I remembering popping into CC and asking how much they'd give me for an
    >>2600XP, 512MB, 40GB, FX5200, CD-RW, 17"CRT, Win XP Home licensed - a
    >>full PC. CC guy offered me a little over $100 for it !!! (in his
    >>"profressional" opinion that weren't going for much anymore..) - this
    >>was about a year and half ago.
    >>I couldn't be bothered debating the issue - they had a much lower spec
    >>2000XP in the shop window with a price tag of about $600-$700.

    > Crooks.

    You're not wrong there. Some years ago I took as good Yamaha keyboard in
    complete with it's original box plus chrome stand for it. The prick at Cash
    Converters was only going to offer $200 for it. I started packing it up and
    said I wasn't going to just give it away, then the manager or whatever came
    over and offered $250. I took that knowing that around $400 for it would be
    a fair retail price for a used retail store. A couple of months later they
    had it out on display in the store with a price of $595.00 on it - it takes
    about 2 months before they can display new stock. Just shows how greedy the
    bastards are. After several months they sold it for about $100 less, still
    a damn good profit for what they paid for it.

    Their computer prices are all over the place, they haven't got a clue.
    Laptop prices are more like new prices, way over what the things are worth.
    People would do better to buy a new Laptop with 15" screen instead.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 10, 2005
  19. Matthew

    GraB Guest

    >>>I remembering popping into CC and asking how much they'd give me for an
    >>>2600XP, 512MB, 40GB, FX5200, CD-RW, 17"CRT, Win XP Home licensed - a
    >>>full PC. CC guy offered me a little over $100 for it !!! (in his
    >>>"profressional" opinion that weren't going for much anymore..) - this
    >>>was about a year and half ago.
    >>>I couldn't be bothered debating the issue - they had a much lower spec
    >>>2000XP in the shop window with a price tag of about $600-$700.

    >> Crooks.

    >You're not wrong there. Some years ago I took as good Yamaha keyboard in
    >complete with it's original box plus chrome stand for it. The prick at Cash
    >Converters was only going to offer $200 for it. I started packing it up and
    >said I wasn't going to just give it away, then the manager or whatever came
    >over and offered $250. I took that knowing that around $400 for it would be
    >a fair retail price for a used retail store. A couple of months later they
    >had it out on display in the store with a price of $595.00 on it - it takes
    >about 2 months before they can display new stock. Just shows how greedy the
    >bastards are. After several months they sold it for about $100 less, still
    >a damn good profit for what they paid for it.
    >
    >Their computer prices are all over the place, they haven't got a clue.
    >Laptop prices are more like new prices, way over what the things are worth.
    >People would do better to buy a new Laptop with 15" screen instead.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    I notice that many of their second-hand DVDs are the same or dearer
    than you can get them for new.

    One time I went in there with a good quality 6 amp battery charger
    that was also dual-voltage - 6/12v, about $85 retail. He said he
    could buy brand new ones for $20 so wouldn't buy it (can they sell new
    stuff?) but I strongly suspect he was talking about 4amp single
    voltage ones in a plastic case, but when I mentioned this to someone
    who was a buyer for a nation-wide chain of car accessories shops, he
    said he can't buy them for that price.

    GraB, Oct 10, 2005
  20. Matthew

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message

    > >> Crooks.

    > >You're not wrong there. Some years ago I took as good Yamaha keyboard in
    > >complete with it's original box plus chrome stand for it. The prick at

    Cash
    > >Converters was only going to offer $200 for it. I started packing it up

    and
    > >said I wasn't going to just give it away, then the manager or whatever

    came
    > >over and offered $250. I took that knowing that around $400 for it would

    be
    > >a fair retail price for a used retail store. A couple of months later

    they
    > >had it out on display in the store with a price of $595.00 on it - it

    takes
    > >about 2 months before they can display new stock. Just shows how greedy

    the
    > >bastards are. After several months they sold it for about $100 less,

    still
    > >a damn good profit for what they paid for it.
    > >
    > >Their computer prices are all over the place, they haven't got a clue.
    > >Laptop prices are more like new prices, way over what the things are

    worth.
    > >People would do better to buy a new Laptop with 15" screen instead.
    > >
    > >E. Scrooge
    > >

    > I notice that many of their second-hand DVDs are the same or dearer
    > than you can get them for new.
    >
    > One time I went in there with a good quality 6 amp battery charger
    > that was also dual-voltage - 6/12v, about $85 retail. He said he
    > could buy brand new ones for $20 so wouldn't buy it (can they sell new
    > stuff?) but I strongly suspect he was talking about 4amp single
    > voltage ones in a plastic case, but when I mentioned this to someone
    > who was a buyer for a nation-wide chain of car accessories shops, he
    > said he can't buy them for that price.

    I've seen used Transonic DVD players and DSE DVD players for at least the
    same prices as brand new DVD players are from the Warehouse and Dick Smith.

    It's a wonder the bastards can sell anything. There used TV prices are good
    for some laughs as well, often dearer than brand new cheap TVs are, and
    their TVs look to be mostly ex rentals of at least 10 years old.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 10, 2005